kstones63 project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

azratrod

holy

Post by azratrod »

holy crap!
'64 ford bbw custom cab short styleside bed
'32 ford 5 window body
'28 ford roadster pickup
'04 ford f150 crew cab short bed
dave r

Post by dave r »

You are gonna LOVE that 4.6.I had a ,93 MK VIII with a 4.10 gear It ran 9.5 @ 79 mph in the 1/8 and still got 22/24 mpg on the hiway.It felt a LOT stronger than 280 hp.My Lincoln weighed 4000 lbs + and killed stock mustangs :lol: In a lighter vehicle with a "chip" and a free flowing exh MAYBE SOME HEADDERS FROM A COBRA you will suprise a lot of folks maybe even yourself.The change from 3.o7 to 4.10 made an INCERDIBLE Difference in the way that car ran....You are going to have a BLAST in that thing when you get done with it...I'm jealous :lol:
Dave
BackyardRest

Post by BackyardRest »

kstones63 wrote:The bed cover got painted and installed. I pulled it out of the garage and took a pic outside.
I finally got the license plates and insurance. I am so glad to finally get the plates after 9 years.

Kevin

Very nice project Kevin!

If you do not already have a machine shop in mind for the 4.6 I can point you to the best Ford shop in town and for sure one of the better ones in the country.
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

What shop do you prefer. I have had some work done at different shops around town but I don't really have a preference. I would like a shop that understands these engines. I plan to do the assembly myself, but I need someone that will give some guidance if needed.

Thanks,
Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
nolabama

Post by nolabama »

Is the Camaro front clip from a donor car or is it store bought?
"Detroit - leaves those peoples alone, they livin' in Mad Max times" Moe
BackyardRest

Post by BackyardRest »

kstones63 wrote:What shop do you prefer. I have had some work done at different shops around town but I don't really have a preference. I would like a shop that understands these engines. I plan to do the assembly myself, but I need someone that will give some guidance if needed.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin, That would be Brian @ Duffee Motorsports. Just tell him Randy sent you.

If you remember the Twin Blown Cobra that was sold for 5.5 Million a year or so back they enlisted him for work on it before it went thru auction!
A great guy and business to work with and do it right the FIRST time.

This may be his old website but the number is still good

http://www.duffeemotorsports.com/

Duffee Motorsports

4006 W Morrow Dr
Glendale, AZ 85308

Phone: (623) 455-8188
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I picked up another subframe to do the mock up for this engine. It is going to be tight fit but it will go in with some modifications.

The motor mounts are tacked in place. I need to move them about 3/8" to wards the passenger side when I take the engine back out. I am too close on the drivers side for the exhaust manifolds. It has more clearance than it looks like but it is tight. I have a line on some factory Cobra headers that I need to look at tomorrow that fit closer than the Mark VIII exhaust.
The oil filter will need to have a remote oil filter added. The water inlet adaptor will need to be modified because it turns out and hits the steeering box but that should be simple.

The passenger side has more room.

This engine is so big that It looks like I will have about the thickness of a finger between the valve cover and the inner fender apron but it will fit one way or another. I know that when I am done it will look great in there and be worth all the effort.

Kevin
kstones63
69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

What an awesome build!!! Are you running a rack or a steering box? Also, what year of Camaro is the front clip? I really like the tailight fuel feature, but how do you keep road debris from getting on the nozzle port and then falling into the tank when you insert the nozzle? Is the entire inner assembly sealed? My new F-150 has this and it looks to me like a future headache area to me. Again, supersweet truck!!
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

69supercj wrote:What an awesome build!!! Are you running a rack or a steering box? Also, what year of Camaro is the front clip? I really like the tailight fuel feature, but how do you keep road debris from getting on the nozzle port and then falling into the tank when you insert the nozzle? Is the entire inner assembly sealed? My new F-150 has this and it looks to me like a future headache area to me. Again, supersweet truck!!

The subframe is from a 76. I am still using the steering box. The aftermarket rack & pinion kit costs $1800 so I don't think that I will be using that. The 4.6L DOHC is going to clear the the steering box without any problems so again that box will stay for now.
I hadn't thought about road debris on the fuel cap. It should get very little with where its at. I will just have to wipe it off before filling with fuel. I didn't want that area sealed up completely as I was more worried about gas fumes getting in there and a spark from the taillights or brake lights to make it go KABOOM. :oops:
Thanks for the comments on the truck. This 4.6L will just make it completey right.

Kevin
kstones63
SixtySix Ford
United States of America

Post by SixtySix Ford »

So whats under the hood now? :oops:
"Nitrous is like hot girl with STD's. You know you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences."

66 Ford F-100 - Project SickUp
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

SixtySix Ford wrote:So whats under the hood now? :oops:

some questions are best left unasked! :P
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
quietwyatt

Post by quietwyatt »

:popcorn:
Wyatt

1965 F-250 (Betty Boop)
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

i don't care what's under the hood. kev has one clean truck! would own and drive!
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

ezernut9mm wrote:i don't care what's under the hood. kev has one clean truck! would own and drive!

I meant no offence to Kev, by what I said!, and if you must know!, it`s a Fuel injected "Y" Block! isn`t it Kevin! :wink:
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

I'm guessing the engine that came with the clip?
61 Merc
Canada

Post by 61 Merc »

I think Kevin said it is a new Y block that is a one of a kind.

Dean
61 Mercury SWB Uni - Project
62 Mercury SWB BBW - Race truck
63 Ford SWB Uni - Daily driver (Jinx)
63 Ford SWB Uni - Parts truck
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

61 Merc wrote:I think Kevin said it is a new Y block that is a one of a kind.

Dean

We decided that it is a fuel injected modified Y block.

Can't wait to get the to get the 4.6 DOHC in it. That will make it complete and whole again. I am making good progress on the wiring. I will finish it today and then I just have to put split loom over the wires to make it look good.
I need to get more work going so I can make some money so I can start ordering parts again. I found the headers that I want to use and the oil filter relocater. I just don't want to spend much money right now. That's why I am working on wiring. It needs to be done and doesn't cost anything.
Pics will be coming soon.

Kevin
kstones63
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I think that I have the wiring done except for the final cleanup when it goes in the truck. Some of the wires will have to be shortened when things start going in like the wires to the MAF, starter relay, fuel pump relay, etc.
Here is the total wiring.

Here are the computer parts. The large wire on the left goes to the fuel pump. The large group of black wires are all grounds. The relays are for the starter, fuel pump and the inertia switch. The diagnostic plug is in there too. The 3 wires in the foreground need to be removed from the computer.

The wires on the frame go to the MAF and the purge canister. The wires on the back of the cart go inside the truck for gauges, torque convertor lockup, starter wire to the ignition switch. The hanging wires go the A/C, a switched hot fuse and a constant hot fuse.

It still looks scary but it does all make sense once you look at it one wire at a time.
I hooked up the PCM, the ignition control module and put power to it today. Nothing went POOF or now burning wire smell so I guess that's a good sign.

Kevin
kstones63
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Kevin: Thanks for the update. Congrats on your progress...looks damn scary to me.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Gritsngumbo wrote:Kevin: Thanks for the update. Congrats on your progress...looks damn scary to me.

I posted more info in the truck talk. This will probably make sense to you if you have started messing with the wiring at all.
http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20133

I hope that it helps.

Kevin
kstones63