WHAT JUST HAPPENED HERE IN FLORIDA????????????????

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

FORDBOYpete

WHAT JUST HAPPENED HERE IN FLORIDA????????????????

Post by FORDBOYpete »

:shock: I thought I'd let y'all know. . . . :shock: :shock:
In spite of possible rumors to the contrary, none of the 8 to 10 tornadoes that went through Central Florida today between noon & 3:pm managed to get us here. Closest strike is 1mi north of us. They're still life flighting people out of that devastation. This is Sur-Realism

In Downtown Daytona a Major Tornado leveled an apartment complex of 200+/- units, along with many city blocks between Inatl Speedway Blvd on the north, Daytona Inatl Airport & Embry Riddle Univ on the west, Orange Ave on the south and South Beach street on the east. It took out the Daytona PD Station and 30 or 40 Police vehicles. :shock: :roll:

We fared well here and only got torrential rains. The "el nino" weather is rough on Florida. We're very Thankful all are well within our associates & our Families. That is the greatest Christmas present we all got this year, Thanks Be To God.

FBp :shock:
Change is the Only Constant
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

OMG! In December??!! Didn't even know it all happened, just haven't had any news on all day. Glad to hear you and yours are OK.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Just watched "An Inconvenient Truth" the other night.

I have no prejudices towards Republicans or Democrats, as I am a forner, but I tell ya, I was a skeptic on Global Warming and he took away ALL my doubts. Check it out yourself sometime, it's scary.

JC
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Johnny Canuck wrote:I tell ya, I was a skeptic on Global Warming and he took away ALL my doubts. Check it out yourself sometime, it's scary.

All your doubts...so which way is your opinion now? :D
Although I haven't watched that program you're talking about, I believe we're just in a cycle. The earth goes through lots of cycles through the years & this is just another one. In the late 60's, we were going through a cooling cycle & lots of scientists were worried that we were rapidly approaching another ice age...they even wanted to send big mirrors into space, to direct sunlight at certain areas on earth & warm them up.
Freaks.
Now we're just in a warming cycle...I betcha 40 years from now, we'll be in a cooling cycle. IMO, it's much ado about nothing.
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

You know, those woolly mammoths are still pissed at the other herbivores for causing the last round of pollution that caused global warming! I'll bet they would flat die in the steamy sauna of todays environment! LOL Hawkrod
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Yep I thought like that too.
Watch the movie.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Comet

Post by Comet »

Is that the Al Gore propaganda movie? :roll:
While I think there's merit to the global warming therioes, Gore has his own agenda along with the other greenies. Like Michael Critchton (yes the author of Jurassic Park and others) says, the enviornmental movement is the new urban religion and likens their leaders to evangelists running a cult. If you dive deeper into how they operate, you learn he isn't too far off.

BTW fbP, glad you are safe.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Did you WATCH the movie?
or are you just talking out your arse?

Trust me it won't turn you into a Chia-Comet.
Like I said I don't have any tie to either US political party, nor do I care to.
He is quoting world-renowned scientists. They agree, almost 100%.
Sticking your head in the sand often results in a dead Ostrich. :D
It's already killing Polar Bears. About 20% of them to date.
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

I think Al Gore had a beef with Pluto. :dontknow:
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
Comet

Post by Comet »

I wouldn't pay one red cent for a movie that funds eco-terrorism. If you think that's right wing alarmist BS, do some research. Less than 6 degrees of separation-I guarantee it.
I know the facts, and I also know that there is a lot of junk science out there. I was only last spring (I think it was) that the mathematical formulas were perfected to prove all the theories everyone is crying about. They do now have hard evidence, but before that it was speculation and best guesses. Most of this movie was made before this important data became available. I also don't prescribe to "sky is falling" predictions. Head in the sand? Maybe, but I prefer not to jump to worst case conclusions. Since there is not much I can do about it as an individual anyway, I am not going to let it get me down. The damage is probably already done anyway. But mother nature has an amazing way of healing itself, so we'll see. I'm not going to worry about global warming because even if I do, it ain't going to change a thing. May as well live happy and enjoy the ride and spend my time and effort on things I can have an impact on.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Well Comet I can see this ain't gonna go nowhere.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

I can tell you that I can guarantee that I and all my friends are definitely not a bunch of tree hugging, pot smoking Greenpeacers, and are probably much closer to beer swillling rednecks than most of the people out on the left coast. I certainly ain't Paul Mcartney and his gold digging wife, saving a bunch of cute little seals, while they proceed to eat up the Atlanic fishery.. those Newfies might have done well to give his head a wallop while he was out on an ice floe IMO. :roll:

But that movie has changed the mind of every one I know that watched it, or at least made the stubborn think seriously. Wild Alberta rednecks, converted.
So ignore it if you want, thats kind of the point of the thing.
Ignorance is bliss, they say. :roll:
and we cetainly wouldn't want any inconvenience.
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

The Mayans predicted the the world will end in 2012, so we only got 6 more years anyway. Hope I got my CV running by then.
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

I have to believe Dr. Neil Frank, Houston Meterologist, ahead of Al Gore. I know, I know, Al invented the internet among other things. He also was looking to build another huge money pit all the politicians could go swimming in. Sorry but anything comming from Gore or any of the West coast Liberals is just not believeable. The piece in the biased media about the Polar Bears :lol: :lol: is well scripted,well edited with massaged numbers. No sale here!
Jim
71 LONG BED

Post by 71 LONG BED »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Well Comet I can see this ain't gonna go nowhere.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

But that movie has changed the mind of every one I know that watched it, or at least made the stubborn think seriously. Wild Alberta rednecks, converted.
So ignore it if you want, thats kind of the point of the thing.
Ignorance is bliss, they say. :roll:
and we cetainly wouldn't want any inconvenience.

I have no idea what movie your talking about, but after reading all of these posts on the subject, it seems to me that if the movie makers had a certain belief, or perspective, and wanted to "reel in" believers, they have succeeded. I always try not to be "sold" on someone elses beliefs. I haven't seen the movie, but what if they based it only on a small amount of info. I am no expert but, my common sense tells me that it is probable a planetary cycle. We had an ice age millions of years ago. Obviously hairspray and car exhaust is not what melted all of the glaciers. Just my 2cents. I hope I didn't offend anyone. Image
John
Image Image Image
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Hey I don't work for the movie distributor, either, and before seeing it, I thought just like you guys. But , if you are skeered to see it, not a thing I can do about it. I rented a lot of movies from Blockbuster where I wish I hadn't spent the $2.50, this ain't one of them.

I can understand your mentality re: Al Gore, We had a Canadian Prime minister named Pierre Trudeau, the only time you could tell he was lying was when his lips were moving. (this applies to any Prime Minister from Quebec but especially Trudeau).. However,, he actually got to BE Prime Minister before I didn't believe him any more. Gore might have his own agenda, politically, and that's a shame. It obviously keeps normal people from even taking in what he is saying in the flick. Definitely NOT based on a small section of democrat scientists, BTW, in fact a LARGE number of scientists, worldwide. I imagine some small percentage of them might be Democrats.

I would do the same to anything Trudeau said, dismiss it as BS the second it came out of his lips. :x But at least I had a reason, or 16 years worth of reasons to distrust Trudeau. Gore ain't coming back as a Presidential Candidate, the most he could have on his political plate is to try and level some ground for future Democrats to walk on. Surely the average guy can separate that chaff from the wheat. :?

I am expecting Skip to come along and call me a commie pinko any time now, mistaking me for some Eastern Liberal, even tho he knows Phred, who comes from the same part of the world that I do. I dunno what Phred thinks of this movie, but he's a big dude,and maybe I can send him out to arm wrestle for the Alberta team :D

Anyway. Do what you want. The point of the movie really is that it's us North Americans that are the problem, if we continue to sit around and tell each other there ain't no problem, pretty soon we will be right. The Cockroaches are waiting for that day to arrive. :wink:

PS if you think I am trying to tell you not to run your Slicks, think again. Antique cars are not hardly a blip on the map of the overall problem. 8)
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Hey now easy on us eastern liberals........................

May the Pasta Bless you all. Need the warming to heat the pasta!

Garbz
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

Man what heppened here at this page?

Although the el nino effect is a decadal event within the enviro dynamic life of the earths surface changes, the margins or breadth of curve swings IS Increasing. This is metoeroligical record, not enviro terrorist propaganda as so many of you seem to wish. The increase, altho too small for most to people to recognize, is enough that the other, indicator, organisms which inhabit this planet with us are not only noticing, they're negatively impacted.

It's true the earth can recover, but it can only recover to the extent of it's own doing. Unfortunalety it is limited to the extent of the parameters of it's own doing. It isn't capable of compensating for syntesized efffectual impact caused mankinds disregard of natural system functions which normally purge, refresh & replenish Mother earth.

For those not fmiliar with enviromental sciences, it's like this, Drum brakes are great as long as we drive easy & reasonably they work fine in all but a few cases. But to Improve stopping ability "jerk" applies a booster. Presto he doesn't have to push as hard and stops fine with less pressure on the foot pedal.

BUT inside his brake system, amplified PSI on friction surface to drum swept area contact patch is X'd by what ever the increased rate of an added booster may be. Since only the booster, and perhaps M-Cyl got changed to gain this luxurious but false sense of increased safety, the drum based system can no longer dissapate heat it was never intended to create or deal with. But what the hell, "jerk" can't detect the heat, or see the damage. His brakes appear to him to be fine. So he takes a trip and gets into heavy traffic. It's slow & go at 60-65-70 mph.

Suddenly somebody up ahead screws up, "jerk" has to panic stop, Oh Oh He's pressing hard as he can, as he slams into traffic ahead of him. Now I ask you friends, is that when he should try to repair his braking deficiencies he did not even realize he had? I think not, it's probably a good time to go a Hospital get checked & heal. :oops:

So pooh pooh the facts y'all reject, don't understand, or have no clue beyond what you may think. The heck with Al Gore. He's no environmental Scientist, he's a damn politician, a name, a personality. He did not dream up what he wrote, he compiled what other people in the field of environmental science wrote, into his book. Then somebody else made a movie based on his book which he appears in. It's not about Al Gore, or any individual.

It's about our Mother, Earth, a physical mechanism that nurtures us & supports us & all other life on this planet. Ignoring what's going on around us doesn't make it go away, it makes it worse. Longer it gets ignored, worse it all becomes. :oops:

I obviously have a dog in this fight. I've probably more experience within this field than most people who have formed opinions on it. BUT the success of the planet as a bio dynamic entity is based in the balance of functions & not an ablilty to recover from artificial or synthesized desicrations caused by players uncounted in natures scheme of things, like interventions, overindulgence and Enviro Arrogance brought about by Human Impacts.

Obviously y'all are going to do what y'all will, but while your doing it pray that I like so many others in the field environmental sciences are 100% wrong and that your beliefs are 200% right because we are going to need it soon.

This thread was not started about Global Conditions or the decline thereof, it was started about people around me being distressed & anybody with friends or relatives in the area having a chance to learn about it, and act.

JC is admitting to something he has learned, and y'all are entitled to believe what ever you want. Perhaps the source he cites may not be the best choice to quote, but in a real Enviro PUN It's the Tip an Iceberg which is melting at an accelerated rate.

It tells a complex tale in simplified terms that hopefully people will be able to understand. I guess not here tho', if y'all reject it based on who's in it more than it's own merit.

This's certainly disappointing to me, as it was to the great Chief Seattle long long ago in the 19th century. . Or was he a tree hugger too? :?

FBp :cry:
Change is the Only Constant
ELpolacko

Post by ELpolacko »

FORDBOYpete wrote:"I like so many others in the field environmental sciences"

By this statement, do you mean to say you are a Climatologist / Meteorologist?

Just a question then, what do you think of this guy? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_M._Gray

Related article: "Chill out over Global Warming" http://www.denverpost.com/harsanyi/ci_3899807

When discussing anything this politically charged I am always reminded of the flat earth theorys, or Geocentric theorys produced by the overwhelming majority of scientific minds. When those theories were current, Astrology was congruent with science and indistiquishable.

Now we have a meld of science and politics. Just something to think about.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/ check it out for fun :wink:
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

perhaps some others will help us with tecnology to beat the warming.
[albumimg]1316[/albumimg]
perhaps they are the cause.

theres still people that believe the moon landing was made for tv.

and
heres Al , explaining what went wrong.
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/05/05rgore.phtml

i guess i need to watch the movie to see what is said.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I wonder who is on which side of "The world is flat" theory here.

Steve did you see the movie? or are you coming up with answers to which you don't know the questions, yet?
One guy in Colorado... :roll: reminds me of the old guy in Alabama they showed on the footage of the moon landing expeditions.. he was absolutely convinced that they filmed the entire moon landing in a film studio in Hollywood. (edit: I see Ice slipped that one in there too :) )

And some idiot writing a column in a newspaper who likes air conditioning, :? just because he couldn't come up with a car crash or Britney Spears' panties to write about that day, means not much to me. He might as well write about the earth being flat too... give him some more drivel to fill his column with that day I suppose, unless Paris Hilton releases another record. :lol: :)
Last edited by Johnny Canuck on December 28, 2006, 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.