New build with questions about steering on a 64

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Slick292-Y

New build with questions about steering on a 64

Post by Slick292-Y »

Just started a 64 f100 build a couple of months ago. I've decided to go with a more stock look and feel. Going to stick with the stock suspension and add a disc conversion. Just picked up a 292 y-block w/ trans for it as well.

I am going for more of a resto / mild custom, so I am trying to keep the modification to a minimum, but I do want to end up with something that I feel comfortable driving. I've heard that the steering in these trucks is a bit sloppy. Any suggestions on what I can do to improve it without going crazy?

Any help is much appreciated. I look forward to being part of this community and will be sure to post plenty of pictures as the build progresses!

:)
Last edited by Slick292-Y on June 19, 2009, 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

:welcome: From the U.P. of Michigan. We all like to see pictures so post them up.
Tom Williams
Slick292-Y

Post by Slick292-Y »

Thanks Tom! ...just threw a few up that I had on my phone, I'll try to get some updated ones on Monday.
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

Looks like you have a good base to start with. I see a frame all painted up nice already.
Tom Williams
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

Welcome to the site. Good luck with your build. There are a few others on this site out in your area.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

welcome.
will try to answer your question about the steering on the manly straight axle trucks.

if the steering is sloppy the maintenance/ replaceable items should be checked first bearings,tie rods, spring eye bushings and gearbox play.

if needed you can either rebuild or get a rebuilt or good used column/gearbox (the steering shaft and gearbox are a single assembly)

later you may wish to add a sway bar to help the front end out too. theres an article on it in hints and tricks i think.

nothing wrong with the steering on these if they are propely maintained.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Slick292-Y

Post by Slick292-Y »

36truck wrote:Looks like you have a good base to start with. I see a frame all painted up nice already.

Yea, the truck originally had a longbed frame, which isn't really the look we were going for, found a shortbed frame online in alright shape (the one you see in the pictures), which will make this a lot easier to do a frame-up resto.
Nick64Slick

Post by Nick64Slick »

well saddle up podna! welcome to the community! nice build! that garage looks familiar, hmm...

I'd just leave it as is if you want that old school feel..... that's how they were back then..... wouldn't be fun without a little bump steer to knock ya into the next lane and keep ya on yur toes!

just messin, its cool, you've only been here a short while but I already feel a strange connection like we're family or something... literally, welcome brosef!

guess you can tell by the time stamp I won't be makin it to cars and coffee at 7! call me later
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

:hello: Welcome from good 'ol West Virginia. Truck looks to be in real good shape which is always nice to start with. I agree with Iceman on the " nothing wrong with the steering on these if they are propely maintained." I have driven many an old truck as daily drivers and as long as everything is the way it should be, they are fine. Mind you that there is a big difference in todays power steering and yesterdays manual steering though. Again, Welcome to the "group"....
Anthony
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Mine is stock steering with mono leaf springs and a discs conversion, it drives quite nice actually. Just make sure everything is tight, greased well (makes a HUGE difference) and properly aligned. I even run wider tires on the front with a smaller than stock steering wheel.
Good looking truck!
Welcome to Slick 60s.

Disc brakes;

http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2647

Sway bar;

http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1410[/b]
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.