Jack's '65

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ironminer

Re: Jack's '65

Post by ironminer »

build looks great!
thenephilm
United States of America

Post by thenephilm »

damn what a nice looking cab!
Hi I'm Justin.
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Sorry I've been a bit behind in updates...I was stuck in Key West and The Bahamas for a couple weeks... 8) :burp:

I have ordered an received a new wiring harness kit, I got the EZ-Wiring 21 circuit, 18 fuse kit. I also got in all my dynamat for floor and back of the cab...I also got some 1/2in dynaliner to cover the firewall with. Now I just got to get to work!
Phil
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

I spent my whole day patching inner fender rust spots...the only place where there was any major rust on them was right by the hood hinges...kind of a weird spot to get rust considering there is no place for moisture or dirt to really sit and eat metal...any way I forgot to get a pick after the patch work and I almost forgot to take a pic of where I started but here is a pic just after I started in on the day...

The inner fender is upside down in the is pick, and it was the driver side inner...

I got the core support ready to be prepped for paint as well...I may end up with a extra core support that only needs minor repair! So that could be really nice for a future spare, or I may be willing to part with it!
Phil
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

I finally got the core support done today before I went to work. I did have to put in 2 small patches on the bottom of the core support, but nothing too bad...thankfully you can grind down crappy welds! The previous owner of this core support did some terrible welding re-attaching one of the inner fender brackets to the core support, I had to do some minor tack welding to the other inner fender bracket, but didn't go to town on it like the PO did on the other side...any way I ended up coating it with Rustoleum Hammertone paint after I primered...I am leaving for Kansas on Wednesday for a week to see my family, so I probably won't get it bolted back on the truck til I get home...any way here are some pics

Phil
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

I put in a whole day of work in on the cab to prep it for body work...I sprayed under the dash, firewall and cab floor with rustoleum primer, I went cheap but it should work out okay...the dash, and the rest of the cab got a couple coats of epoxy primer. I did have to sand down the terrible prime job the PO did, and that took most of the day. Now body work can begin...

Phil
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

Nice paint work! What kind of paint are you using? BC/CC?
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Thanks Max! I'm using the single stage urethane from Summit Racing, it can be clear coated if I choose to on the exterior...it lays out pretty good. Summit Racing has a retail store here in town with their warehouse so I can get the paint and supplies pretty quick and easy.
Phil
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Quick update...I sprayed the 2k primer tonight, it came out decent...it was a bit grainy and orange peel which isn't a big deal since these coats will be sanded down, buy I think I need to go to a 1.8 tip gun when I put on the next coats after body work before sealer and color coat...

Phil
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Well the wife wanted to help clean up the garage on Sunday , so I took advantage of the offer...in the mean time I put the radiator back in, put the pedal assembly back in, bolted the master cylinder and inner fenders up just so they weren't lying around the garage (since we were cleaning up, n they had been freshly cleaned up and painted). The truck is lookin more and more like a truck every weekend...

My 18 month old even thinks it is ready to hit the road!

But then the next day disaster hit, just like when I broke my arm in the middle of modifying the steering column, and I end up having to have an emergency appendectomy...and just for giggles here is the pic my 5 year old took of me from the foot of the hospital bed about 2 hours after surgery...

So what to do since I'm bored laying around the house recovering and drugged up...buy stuff on Craigslist of course! My cousin went and picked up these wheels for me out in Clearwater, KS today and will be delivering them to me on a trip out here to Reno in a month or so...

They will need cleaned up a bit, but should look good on ole Jack!
Phil
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

That sucks about the surgery....but the truck is looking great!
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Well at least the they got you into surgery on time ! I have a distant friend that almost didn't make it.

Your Boy is gonna think of your truck as his fondest childhood memory ;)
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Thanks Dan!

My mom almost didn't make it through that surgery either...

Well onto the project...it seems my cousin wants to trade me a 460/c6 combo for the 240/np435 set up...straight up trade...I'm thinking I'm going for it!
Phil
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Thanks Dan!

Food stick...My mom almost didn't make it through that surgery either...

I really hope both my boys will enjoy the truck with me!

Well onto the project...it seems my cousin wants to trade me a 460/c6 combo for the 240/np435 set up...straight up trade...I'm thinking I'm going for it!
Phil
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

I don't know...a 300 with a 240 head and some go fast stuff is pretty darn fun, but on the other hand there is no replacement for displacement!

I had to get 2 trucks so I could have both! :wink:
Dan
My Build Thread
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

MadMaxetc wrote:I don't know...a 300 with a 240 head and some go fast stuff is pretty darn fun, but on the other hand there is no replacement for displacement!

Says the guy with the EcoBoost :P
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Off the line it is true. Turbos and Supper chargers have lag. I can't just romp on the EB and do a burnout. I have to do a brake stand to spool them up.
Dan
My Build Thread
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Quick update...So the trade is officially on for a 460! My cousin will be bringing it out in mid October, fully dressed and turn key ready to drop in! He really wanted my 240 for a project he is doing...he is taking the 65's old cab and gonna make a 4x4 on a 70's frame and wants the 240 for that. So the condition of trade was that the 460 had to be cleaned up and painted with new seals and gaskets, and had to be in very good shape internally as well. So he his doing a complete overhaul, including powder coating all the brackets, intake, oil pan, valve covers, etc...man I can't wait!
Phil
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

I got some pics from my cousin of the 460 and some of the parts after being cleaned up and painted or powder coated...they also put in a mild cam and new lifters and springs, and double roller timing chain installed for straight up timing...we were gonna put on a new intake, but didn't get a cheap enough used one in time for them to put on before breaking in the cam and lifters...the motor will be here Thursday night, being drove out from Kansas...I will get more pics during and after installation in the 65

Phil
Harper
United States of America

Post by Harper »

ok first off Great work, however i am very po'ed at your build right now.
#1 i wanted my truck to be blue, and you have shown me that its just absolutely has to be RED now! lol
#2 how is it your truck has a removeable section around the floor shifter and I had to cut mine?

seriously you have done a great job and I just hope mine turns out half a good!

1965 SWB 460 C6 AUTO "Red Barron Red"
1965 SWB Going 302 w/C4 Auto (Matthew's)
1969 Dodge Charger "replica General Lee" 440 w/727 (Mine)

If you sent your Truck out to a restoration shop, you did NOT build it, jus sayin!