Jack's '65

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

1965fordf100
United States of America

Re: Jack's '65

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Harper wrote:ok first off Great work, however i am very po'ed at your build right now.
#1 i wanted my truck to be blue, and you have shown me that its just absolutely has to be RED now! lol
#2 how is it your truck has a removeable section around the floor shifter and I had to cut mine?

seriously you have done a great job and I just hope mine turns out half a good!

Thanks for the compliments! It's my understanding all the original manual trans trucks had the removable doghouse...and I'm glad to hear your gonna come to the "red" side!
Phil
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

We got the 460 set in place last weekend...and the bed put back on the frame, even though it will come off again several times I'm sure. The motor came from a early 80's truck with smog equipment and a/c...unfortunately most the a/c bracket pieces are missing, so I hacked the top part of the bracket off and bottom part still supports the p/s pump...I am getting rid of the alternator/smog pump bracket in favor of a regular non smog low mount bracket soon...I also had to mod the core support to house the larger radiator since the support was for a I6 truck and radiator...it's not all buttoned up yet but here are some pics

Had to eliminate the mountings flanges that stuck out off of the support for the original radiator mounting
Phil
Harper
United States of America

Post by Harper »

awesome work. I had to look at it three times to decide which engine that was. with the way its painted I was certain it was a 302 to start with, then i saw the slanted valve covers (a bit slanted) I though oh ok, 352, then i was like geeze thats a 460!!
my next slick with be 460 powered.
This truck of yours is going to be a very nice truck! keep us posted and lots of pics!

yea, the doghouse as you call it...is probably not just manual but also only factory floor shift trucks. Or possibly on certain years. Mine did not have it and it was a factory 3speed manual.

Yes RED is the only way to go (for me). I tried very hard to want the grabber blue and one day I may build a blue one, but as of the time i saw your thread, it made my mind up....its red for me. This may be the only chance i ever get to finish a slick...so I cant take the chance on building a color i cant live with the rest of my life...
:)

1965 SWB 460 C6 AUTO "Red Barron Red"
1965 SWB Going 302 w/C4 Auto (Matthew's)
1969 Dodge Charger "replica General Lee" 440 w/727 (Mine)

If you sent your Truck out to a restoration shop, you did NOT build it, jus sayin!
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

I got a different alternator bracket bolted up...now I am not using the smog version that combined the smog pump (that I am not using) with the alternator...this one came off of a 79 non smog...now I just need a 2 groove alternator pulley so the belts will line up and all should be good to go!

Phil
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

I tried finishing up the accessory brackets, pulleys and belts...mixing up the brackets from late 70's for the alternator and the ps bracket, water pump and crankshaft pulleys from a 80's meant belts didnt want to line up properly...so my cousin sent me a ps bracket that a friend of his had laying around, cool thing is that it was a L&L bracket, and then Bill W sent me a 2 sheeve alternator pulley, so I am back on track with all of that solved...now I just need to go buy new belts and button it up...then a new battery and I will be able to fire this bad boy up for the first time

Phil
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Finally got the correct belts figured out and final mods on the core support...also bought a new radiator and got it mounted to the core support...the core support is now on the truck, with radiator installed and the engine is pretty much buttoned up now

I also bought a 70 mustang 22 gallon gas tank to go under the bed, so installing that and the brake lines are pretty much next on the list!
Phil
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Decided to go with a smaller carb so I picked up a 600cfm Summit Racing carb, still haven't started it yet but got it bolted on...also got the dash bracket off of a 65 steering column and welded it onto the 79 column for the auto shift and power steering...after I got it painted I realized during reassembly of the column during the rebuild I forgot to slip back on the firewall bracket...so needless to say the column has to come back apart so I can get that firewall bracket

Phil
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Boy do I love the look of a big Ford V8! :cheers:
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Finally got the throttle and trans kickdown cables ran...almost done with mounting up the mustang 22 gallon tank, just need to do a little trimming on the frame rails drill the mounting holes and bolt it up, then I can run new fuel lines blow it all back apart for paint and then a final install

Some of my crappy welding

And I really wanted to use a marine fuel filler in the bed floor but they are more common with a 1-1/2" hose but the mustang tank is a 2-1/4" inlet so I took a couple exhaust tube adapters I had laying around and cut them up and welded them together so I can weld a filler neck onto the tank that will be a completely vertical filler like Uncle Skip did in his write up. So now I can weld this little adapter directly to the tank and have no issues getting a fuel filler.

My mother-in-law got me a new steering wheel for the project as well! I must be doing something right for her to spend that kinda dough on me!

Phil
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Yesterday I decided to see what the new steering wheel was gonna look like so I threw it in real quick...surprisingly easy install, took about 10 minutes.
Pics are kinda dark since I took em from my phone...

Phil
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Finally got the tank in for good! Now just to run fuel line and get that along with the brake lines secured to the frame and I can start on body work and paint

Phil
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

Cool build, thanks for all the pictures.

Nic
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

mercuryv8 wrote:Cool build, thanks for all the pictures.

Nic
Thanks, Nic! I try to take as many pics as I can...sometimes forget to take them when you get in a groove though
Phil
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Got all the fuel lines and brakes lines completed and fastened to the frame. They could definitely look better and be more straight on the long runs and the bends could be nicer, but this was my first attempt at line bending and flares. Any tips on straightening tubing out there? A little late but for the future...
Anyway here are some pics

Phil
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Finally got the truck moving under it's own power for the first time in 6 yrs! Here are a couple videos...hopefully the links work...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202104679273481
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202104661593039

Off to the exhaust shop it goes...

Phil
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Got the truck back from the exhaust shop! It sounds great...went with dual 2-1/2" with flowmasters exiting in front of rear wheels with chrome tips welded on. I have a video but not sure how to get that posted since photobucket won't upload it and not sure if the Facebook links worked from my last update
Phil
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Drove from Reno all the way to SoCal for a bed....much nicer than what I had previously

Phil
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Well I'm getting to the point where I'm wanting this truck done faster than I can get things done on it...thinking about farming out the rest of the body parts to be media blasted and also the body and paint work...kinda sucks because I really wanted to do it all myself. But I feel like I'm losing some interest because it is taking so long...coming up on 7 yrs since I started tear down. If there is anyone from the northern nevada area that could make some recommendations on places to take the truck I am all ears...
Phil
390fastback
Canada

Post by 390fastback »

Don't let it get you down. I was at the same pont as you several times with my Mustang, it took me 11 years from buy and tear into to completion. No one expects these to be done in record time, you're not a half hour TV show!! I did farm out the final body work, pannel aliignment and paint. All things I wanted to do on my own also, but in the end I had so much time in the rest, I let the pro's do that part for me, and am I ever glad I did. I brought it from the dead, and I think you've done the same, and a pro made mine shine! No shame in that!

Honestly, you might be happier with the results.....
62 short-uni, cv front swap, 4.6/auto
plus many other's!
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

390fastback wrote:Don't let it get you down. I was at the same pont as you several times with my Mustang, it took me 11 years from buy and tear into to completion. No one expects these to be done in record time, you're not a half hour TV show!! I did farm out the final body work, pannel aliignment and paint. All things I wanted to do on my own also, but in the end I had so much time in the rest, I let the pro's do that part for me, and am I ever glad I did. I brought it from the dead, and I think you've done the same, and a pro made mine shine! No shame in that!

Honestly, you might be happier with the results.....
Yeah I know for sure I will be happier with the results...plus it will be my buddies body shop doing the work so I know it will be done right!
Phil