352 FE rebuild and upgrades

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

cavinandpavin

352 FE rebuild and upgrades

Post by cavinandpavin »

Okey dokey.. so i am going to start scrounging my parts list together for the old 352. i dont need a high rpm screamer for the 1/4 mile but i dont want a slouch either..but i am doin this on the cheap cause money aint growin from trees around here.
to start with i will give you my list of what i have in mind, i have a 4bbl intake off a galaxie(thanks dotcentral) and from my reserch it is the one that is good for 20hp over the other stock intakes.

i plan on getting an edelbrock carb most likely the proformer 750

i have a line on a 390 crank and rods for 100 bucks, do i need to go to the 4.05 bore or stay with the 4 inch bore?

i would like to go with roller rockers, and a roller cam and lifters andof course a different cam, not too many options out there though.

also i was wondering if it is worth it to go with the cobra jet size valves and do you think the machine shop could do that?

should i port and polish the heads ? (i will gasket match them)

and i have been reading about resticting the oil flow to the rockers to give the bearings more oil has any one had this mod done or done it yourself?

and yes i am goin with a set of headers jegs has a set in the book for these trucks for under 2 hundred dynomax blackjacks. good?

i appreciate your feedback!

do you think i could get 400 hp and 400lbt?
No, its not a windsor or a cleveland, its a three fifty TWO!
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

A friend of mine got the larger valves installed in his 390 heads, and said he was happy with that change.

Wish I'd kept that intake now that I am going with a FE in my slick. I'm sure I'll find another one if I keep my eyes open.

I'd think that converting to rollers would be expensive. I'd think it would help the HP & Torque numbers, not to mention less issues with break-in, oil and zinc levels. Might look up parts to convert & prices on Jegs, summit, etc. Actually, maybe Rockauto.com would have those parts cheaper.

That is about all I can offer, I'm a novice on FE stuff. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
cavinandpavin

Post by cavinandpavin »

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/1278500347.html hey dot found you an intake!
roller lifters crane vertical locking" 379.99 for fe roller rockers are about the same price not cheap by any means. reasons you pointed out are reasons i am leaning tward them, if i can afford them.
cavinandpavin

update

Post by cavinandpavin »

well i now have a nice 390 crank and a set of 390 rods to match
aslo have a 750 edelbrock carb
i guess now i will work on geting a cam and figuring out what to do for lifters, i have heard that a solid cam is the way to go with these motors... and also have seen the "shell" type solid lifters, they are like a plain ol solid lifter but hollow so the push rod sits down inside the body of the lifter i was told they are hard to find because they are out of production but i will do saome reserch on that, any one used these before?
i am still wondering if i need to bore my block out to the 390 bore (4.05)or just bore it as nessesary for cleaning up the 4inch bore
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

how about a FE site to really overload the info and options. :lol:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

A good site, but not the easiest to navigate. If you are trying to come up with a game plan they could be pretty helpful.

Do you have the Steve Christ book on rebuilding FE's? covers a lot of basic stuff and is available from amazon.com. Good if you are going to tear into & put it back together yourself. Also good for basic knowledge & history of the family.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
cavinandpavin

Post by cavinandpavin »

wow guys cant belive i hadnt seen that site yet, but wow lots of info its rainin here so i have been lurking on that site all day and have read more than i have since school! thanks again and i will look for the book but i havent had time!
cavinandpavin

Post by cavinandpavin »

well i did get the book a while back but the old motor runs so well i dont really need to mess with it yet....
so i have been on other things, like a few weekends ago the old girl got a new dual master(still manual brakes) and the I beams and disk brakes off of a 74 150, that happened to have a set of new rotors and calipers so that went well.
a few months ago i got a mustang t5 off craigslist but have been searching for an s10 with a t5 for the tailshaft housing( thats what i was lookin for when i found the disk brake donor) evidently the s10 t5 is getting rare if you want one with a manual speedo(88and back) and even some 88 and 87 also have the electric speedo so you hafta lay your eyes on the part to make dang sure its the one you need. but anyway this weekend i stumbled on one and got it for 70 bucks. so i will be putting the two together this week some time. i called riley auto today to talk with the guy again and he wants me to pull my trans to measure the holes and all before they make the adapter so i will get the correct one then i guess i need to get a new clutch disk for a mustang and after its together have my drive shaft shortened new u joints will prolly go in then, so she will most likely be off the road for a while. but when she gets back on there it will be a far better drive. even tho i have got used to the stupid shifter (one of them mister gasket 3 speed floor shifter deals). ok enough ramblin for now, just thought i would catch up my project page.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

sounds like good progress. how about a pic of the tranny with the original tailshaft and one with the s-10 tailshaft? Inquiring minds want to know..... :lol: :lol:
Anthony
cavinandpavin

Post by cavinandpavin »

that can be done... pics on the way