slick irritants

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ICEMAN6166
Poland

slick irritants

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

wonder if any of you have some things that really just kind of irritate you about your slick. :shock:
why did Ford do this? :dontknow:
whose bright idea was that? :arse:

my main beef is not with a particular year but with the changes in between. :!:
it is the reversal of the wiper and light switches.i am constantly pulling the wiper knob off mine :x , especially after driving my wifes 66.or go to turn on the wipers in mine at night and the panel lights dim.worst part is is its not going to improve as i have more trucks of each style and as i start driving them, will be more confused.not sure if they can be reversed in the earlier ones or if the hole only works for its bezels. :hm:
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I would imagine that except for possible wire length issues you could move them where you want and make all your trucks the same. My 2 64s are not arranged exactly the same.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
flareside64

Post by flareside64 »

I think the wiper swtich issue isnt that big of a deal and im sure it can be reversed fairly easy. Might have to cut a slot or make the hole larger to swtich the swtiches. Other than that I think Ford designed these trucks great. All the engines available were good and they're tough trucks... You realize this when your daily driver is a 2002 ford and then you start to wonder "why did ford design it that way" quite a few times.

Travis
Travis
1949 F-4 226/4 speed
1964 F100 223/3 speed
1965 F100 4x4 445/4 speed
Paul Merrell

Post by Paul Merrell »

I moved my switch in my cab the first one is the rear window then headlight then the cigarete lighter the right side from the left to right choke wiper and heater. I moved the wiper to the right side because its easy to get to when it rains. I drive with my left hand and shift with my right and my right hand can get to the wiper switch but if it on the left its a pain to turn the wiper on and off with my left. My biggest question why did FORD use the step cabs from 61 to 66 on the F250's. They say its easied in getting into the truck but I can't see how :!: Also why use the wrong bed on these trucks also. Why not move the axle back or move it forward or make a bed to fit.
"Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life - For better...or for worse." 1965 F250 4wheeldrive 390/4speed/dana 60 rear 3.73/dana 44/PB
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I have pulled off my wiper switch knob umpteen times but will set up my '64 the way the '63 is set up so I will finally get used to having the wiper switch where the light switch should be. Hard to move the '63 light switch as it has a passle of wires coming from, it is the fusebox too. It and would NEVER fit on the other side of the column in a million years.

My main complaint with slicks is the p!ss-poor design of the inside wiper arms. The slightest wear or misalignment and they just stick with the arm hanging over the drivers side vent window. Crappy design that they fixed for the bumpsides and dentsides, wish someone would figure out a retrofit for our trucks.

The inside tank and single pot brakes are another couple of things that were the first to go on both my trucks, at least there is a fix for them.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Paul Merrell

Post by Paul Merrell »

I rewired the my 63 cab wiring because of the P.O was using it as a parts truck and cut the headlight switch out so I used the headlight switch from the 64 cab and used a circuit breaker bar from a kenworth I have two circuit breaker bars and have everything separated. I think I have 12 circuits so if I have a problem with the turn signals not working I need to check that breaker. It is much better than the old fuse block.
"Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life - For better...or for worse." 1965 F250 4wheeldrive 390/4speed/dana 60 rear 3.73/dana 44/PB
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

Hey paul, are you talking about a 4wd F 250? My 66' F250 had a std 65-66 style cab.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
Paul Merrell

Post by Paul Merrell »

Yes a F250 4wd
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

I'm still thinking of something that irritates me about my 66...can't think of any so far. :P
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
65TremecGT
United States of America

Post by 65TremecGT »

I think that they could have done something a little better for the headliner! As for head room, foot room steering wheel postion and vision, I say not bad for a 40+ year old truck!
1965 Ford F-100 Short bed Custom Cab, Worn out six for now.
1966 F-250 Ranger waiting for a 79 460/C6 + Disc Brake and PS swap
Mellvis

Post by Mellvis »

I wish Ford in general would have made things more interchangable. For example, Che#y transmitions can be used on 6 cylenders, small blocks or big blocks. I have a really solid 81 Granada with low miles that I want to put a V8 in, but you have to change EVERYTHING about the car....probably even the color of the seats!!! With the "other" brand of car, you pop out the 6 popper, change the mounts and exhaust and put the small or big block right in. I like my Fords, but to be honest, Chevy made life easier.
1965 F100 "Papaw's Pride"

"So I'm working on a cistern inlet valve and the guy hands me a lock nut wrench! I was like 'What is this, a drainpipe slipknot!'" -Flo
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Irritants??
What irritates me most is chebby motors in Slicks :wink:
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Uncle Skip wrote:What irritates me most is chebby motors in Slicks

DING DING DING!!

we have a winnahh!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yes, Skip, or any Fords for that matter
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

I would have to say the way that they put trucks together. Some times it looks like they WANTED them to rust out! I hate the way they put little drain hols in a spot that you cant get to to clean them out!

But they all do that. :roll:
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
f25065
United States of America

Slick irritants

Post by f25065 »

Can't think of "irritants", but as far as my '65 goes, I prefer (and installed) the kick panel vents of the '61-'64s with the cable drives. Reaching down is a drag; much easier to reach to a dash knob. Whine, whine, whine.

Norm
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

I just wonder why they put so many bolts in the grill and front fenders. Then add a few years and now you can't get the bolt to loosen without breaking free the hidden nuts.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Truckfarmer wrote:I just wonder why they put so many bolts in the grill and front fenders. Then add a few years and now you can't get the bolt to loosen without breaking free the hidden nuts.

There we go, that's an irritant...those "two" bolts on the bottom the the grille. :evil:
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

There is one thing that allways makes me unhappy, and that's removing the ignition switch and putting a new one back in. The bottom grill bolts are fun to, along with those corner bolts in the fenders.

Rich
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

Good points guys. There is one that irritates me but might not bother you guys. I am VERY picky about body lines and such and one of mine is the roof on a 66 above the back window, it has that crack there that people like to seam fill and it just cracks, etc. Looks like crap and would be MUCH cleaner just filled in as one piece. Also the rain gutters around the edge of the roofs rust out and need to be sealed better or something. Another one is the bed sides, the two seams from the top part of the bed side and bottom and the rust starts comming through there no matter how much paint you get up there.
Heater hoses.... that cloth stuff is horrible, collects dust and dirt like it's tape, rips easily, etc.
I can go ON AND ON AND ON so will stop here. :lol:
Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

My slick brings me untold happiness and joy.... :oops: .....however it is very irritating for poor Mrs. Hoof to see my nice cozy pepper gray metallic bundle of love parked in the cozy garage when her new Expedition sits in the bitter cold of the Canadian Rocky Mountain winter :lol:

The final kicker was when she went outside in -30 to start her truck and she heard the furnace kick on inside the garage :rotflmao:

I am sorry, I don't care who you are, now that's funny!

Mark
Mark