AOD question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64 f100

AOD question

Post by 64 f100 »

Some time back someone posted what years were good candidates for out trucks, behind a windsor engine. After a certain year Ford started using trannies that worksed with computers. Anybody have this information?

Thanks,
Rich
adrianspeeder
United States of America

Post by adrianspeeder »

All AOD's used from 85-93 in the F-150/bronco behind the 302 (possibly used with the 300) will bolt to the small block pattern. It uses a TV cable and mechanical shifter to run so no computers in sight.

Car's got an AOD-E which I'm not familiar with because I just deal with trucks.

94+ trucks got the 4R70w which is a beefed up, but computer controlled AOD replacement.

Some info I've collected on the AOD...

Model: AOD
Type: Four speed non electronic
Years:
'85-'93 F-150
'85-'89 Bronco
Engines: 302
Display: PRN(D)D1
Pan: 14 bolts
Fluid: Mercon
Ratios:
1st 2.40:1
2nd 1.47:1
3rd 1.00:1
4th 0.67:1
Trans code: T
mwilk1

Post by mwilk1 »

Display: PRN(D)D1

unless you have a cop car then it reads something like PRND32. They locked out low to keep those boys from blowin parts..
US Navy AT3 Desert Shield/Storm. EA6Bs out of Whidbey Island WA. With Carrier Air Group 3 off of the soon to be retired USS John F Kennedy CV67
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

Rich, I have always been told you want a 1988-93 AOD. By 88, they had fixed some early problems. Also told that the trucks and vans had stronger clutches so those are the preferred ones. They were available behind the 300, 302, and 351W. There are 2 different lengths also. We found that out when we replaced the one in my son's 63. His original was from a Crown Vic and was longer than the one we harvested from a E150 van. About 1 1/2"-2" difference.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Thanks gor all the answere's and help. What I've got is an 82 crown tranny of questinable mileage, and condition. Just barely would run, engine pumping oil. Tranny is most likely original. Did move under it's own power, but engine accelerateer pump was shot, and running very rough. Then again, what do you expect from a 50$ engine and tranny. Mainly bought it for distributer, almost not worth the effort of removing engine. One nasty piece of work, oil in the breather and all over the engine and tranny. :(

Rich
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

Rich, that car has one of my favorite transmission crossmebers to use on a hot rod. It should have the humps on both side so dual exhaust can be routed. It will need to be narrowed to use on our trucks. Does it have the aluminum space saver spare?
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!