rebuilt carburetor question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

willy3486

rebuilt carburetor question

Post by willy3486 »

Can someone explain this? Why is it I can go into auto zombies,puke boys or some other parts store and buy a rebuild kit for about 20 bucks but a rebuilt carb on exchange is around 200? :shock: I am no mechanic by far but I had a buddy years ago who worked in a car lot to rebuild mine. I went to where he worked and it only took about an hour. It ran perfect for years after that. Now I am thinking about finding a different carb for mine. I can't get it set right ,it has a leak I can't find and adjusting the set screws doesn't change anything., I would prefer to pay extra to get a rebuilt one but can't afford it. Why the difference in cost between a rebuild kit and one exchanged? :evil: I guess I am evilbay bound for one.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

rebuilt carbs have many other things done that are not available in the kit.
for instance, the butterfly rods and the bores they go thru are fixed so as not to leak air, if the rod is loose or as i have seen many times, way loose, setting the carb can be a real pain.
you also do not get an assortment of jets, idle mixture screws, or power valves.so your stuck with whats in the kit and we all know once you open the kit its yours forever even though it does not tell you which different pieces are in or not in it.

i was told by my friend who owns a car-quest that their Anchorage warehouse does not even stock carbs at all any more , so i have to pay extra shipping now to get one from outside.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
winr

Post by winr »

Hi Willy.

What kind of carb is it ??

Richard.
All your Slicks are belong to us
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:rebuilt carbs have many other things done that are not available in the kit.
for instance, the butterfly rods and the bores they go thru are fixed so as not to leak air, if the rod is loose or as i have seen many times, way loose, setting the carb can be a real pain.

That's assuming the rebuild facility is any good. I've seen some rebuilds that look like they were done by a 12 year old, then given to his 6 year old brother to spray paint. :roll:
You stand a better chance with a quality rebuild, by going to someplace like Napa & Car Quest. Checker & the like just sell the cheapies...there's also a quality difference in rebuild kits, too.
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
willy3486

Post by willy3486 »

Thanks for the replies, Like I said I am not a mechanic. So I do not know what all they do to them. I got a guy close to my home I may get to look at it to see what I need to do. But no mater what I do to it the carb screws will turn but it doesn't change the way it runs. As far as the type I don't know the make or anything but It is the 2 barrel carb they put on most 352 engines at that time.
winr

Post by winr »

Hi willy3486.

Does it look like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcra ... dZViewItem

Richard.
willy3486

Post by willy3486 »

Best I remember thats it. I may just watch that and bid if I don't forget. If I can get it about the same price with shipping as I can here where I live I may buy one off ebay. Or I may keep a eye open here on our site.
winr

Post by winr »

Hi Willy.

I would rebuild yours.

Or maybe just replace your power valve and acceletor pump.

It could be a leaking power valve causing your idle screws not to function correctly.

Also, the accelerator pumps will leak over time.

I have seen kits for $15.00/$20.00.

They are real easy to rebuild.

If you would like an exploded diagram of how they look I will send you one.

Richard.
willy3486

Post by willy3486 »

I have some of the old engine and car manuals from the 60s. My uncle gave them to me years ago. I looked through them and found a few of the diagrams but I still had trouble. A guy I work with knows of a guy who is a good mechanic. He likes to rebuild carbs that you bring to him. I may just get him to rebuild it. Hopefully I can put it on and tune it up.