Y-block guys. ??????

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Uncle Skip
United States of America

Y-block guys. ??????

Post by Uncle Skip »

Help.
I'm not a Y-block expert and I need to make sure that the dual exhaust manifolds I have will work on a Slick. They are the rear exit types like on a regular passenger car.
I know the rear motormounts are on the bellhousing, so would they interfere with the exhaust pipes?
I think they should work, but maybe not............................
Any comments before I sell/ trade them to a fellow Slickster?
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Model_T_46804

Manifolds

Post by Model_T_46804 »

Skip,
They won't work on a truck, they'll hit the firewall. You need rams horn manifolds, they dump the exhaust out in the center of the manifold, not the rear.
Jim
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Once again, our gang has all the answers. Thanks pal.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Pure Country

y blocks

Post by Pure Country »

If you want to run duals on a truck and can't get ramhorn manifolds you can buy y block headers. Reds Headers sell them and they have their own website so you can find exactly what you want. It is one of the best things that I did to my '61. I used to have the wrap around exhaust and now have true duals.
Johnny's 61 F100 292 & 3 on the tree
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Would these work if you have floor shift and not column shift?
Jim
Model_T_46804

manifolds

Post by Model_T_46804 »

Jakdad,
If you mean will the car manifolds work if you have a floor shift.....No they won't, the exhaust will not clear the firewall.
Jim
STOFFER
United States of America

Post by STOFFER »

i have a set of Y-block car manifolds that come down right onto the clutch pivot rod but I think they would work with an automatic truck.

I miss my slicks
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Okay, You can use the right manifold, If I remmember right. The left manifold is the problem, because of the Z-bar linkage. I've thought of flipping the stock left manifold and it could work, but makes for a funny angle bend on th down pipe. I've also seen the left dual exhaust manifold cut and rewelded at a diffferent angle. Moving the Z-bar helps also. It might work if the Z-bar is removed and you install a hydraulic clutch release system, whic was available but generally not used on half or three quarter ton pickups. Mainly on big trucks. If interested, There is a used setup on Ebay right now from Owogeny. There is also one new original stlye slave cylinder on Ebay at this moment for 12$ starting bid, and I know of one seller that has two master cylinders in his store for 25$ each. You would have to improvise on some of the hardware on the new stuff, but it's do-able. I think the firewall is not the problem with the duals. Also, I have three sets of ramhorns at the moment . One nice set, one decent set has had some repairs, and one set that has cracks.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
64Ranger

Post by 64Ranger »

STOFFER and Skip,
The left side passenger style exhaust manifold will not work on an automatic either. I found this out the hard way after paying way too much for that exhaust manifold. It exits right on top of the linkage.
See picture in my album.[/img]
Doug
Riverside, CA
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Guys, I have several sets of different y block manifolds, and not all are the same on the duals. I retrtodesign to fit. Linkage is fairly easy to change around, most times.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus