460 into a 64 ford 4x4.....help

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

snow

460 into a 64 ford 4x4.....help

Post by snow »

have a 64 4x4 3/4 ton that had a 292 y block in it and im puttin a 84 460 into it...should have the 460 by friday....one problume ....i aint got no clue how to do it...i can weld...thats what i do for a side job...so i can make all sorts of brackets and what not but not a clue where to start once i have my 460 sitting next to my frame.... any info would be awsome....even related books to read or anything thanks alot and i hope i put this post in the right spot. only posted once before and yes this is the first truck that i have ever done any thing with..suspose i have to learn some how...thanks...........ps could some one tell me how to post pics...????
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I know it can be done, the right conversion crossmember etc. Others will know more details than I - I like the Y blocks and leave them in, lol.
Where are you from?
You will get more responses in this forum,
Welcome to Slick 60s.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
snow

Post by snow »

washington state..i would have left the 292 in there except a mechanice buddy said it was trash.......and i had a 84 460 out of my first truck....still cant figure out how to post pics... i have the frame all done
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Boy am I glad to see another 4x4 out there... :lol: :lol: Snow, you have a pm on pic posting. I can't wait to see the truck. Welcome to the posting side of the site. Keep us updated..... Anthony
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

are you using the tranny that was in your truck ? or going to use one that has the 460 pattern ?
if you are going with a c6, or 4 spd that has the 460 pattern,
then you need to find one that has the 'short' tail shaft.
the 64 4x4 has a divoriced transfer-case, and has a driveshaft between it and the tranny.....
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Tech

Post by Tech »

My 65 4x4 has a 460 and a C6. I'm in Renton, Wa if you want to come by and take some measurements.
Tech
Wall Flood

Post by Wall Flood »

tech wrote:My 65 4x4 has a 460 and a C6. I'm in Renton, Wa if you want to come by and take some measurements.
Tech

Not sure that would help.

From what I understand the 65 and 64 (and previous) are very different so measurements might be different?
-Air in, Blood out-
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

Hello, Wall Flood! I posted to your 223 question on FTE, so I hope it was a help.
You are right about the differences between '64 and '65, but that doesn't apply to the 4x4 trucks.
'64 through '68 or so were transition years, but Ford didn't move everything all at once. In '65 the 4x2 trucks switched to Twin I-Beam suspension, the 352 FE for the V-8 option, and offered the 300 big six as well.
The 4x4 trucks kept the same frame, suspension and cabs as the '64 4x2 trucks. It wasn't until later ('68 perhaps?) that the 4x4 used the same cabs as the 4x2 ones (for the corresponding year.)
To make it even more confusing, the 352 was the V-8 option beginning in '65 - whether it was a 4x2 or a 4x4.
4x4 trucks with a 352, and the FE specialty front mounts, and the FE specialty bellhousings are not very common at all.
So, in this case, even though they span the transition for 4x2 trucks, because they are 4x4 trucks, the basic truck will be the same.
Wall Flood

Post by Wall Flood »

Hey banjopicker66
Yes I saw that and thanks! Im still pretty confused about what direction to go.

The OP here apparently is going to go with 460 and C6 so he pretty much has his path determined for him ie new mounts all the way around, total rewire and harness, new radiator, trans, and oil cooler, disc brakes and maybe power sterring. His will be a huge job with a lot of rewiring and tubing bent if Im picturing it all correctly.

Again in my case Id like to keep it as simple as possible without having to do a whole new harness, trans, etc etc. Maybe Im not being realistic.

From what little I know now a 292 Y8 could be swapped in pretty easily with the Y8 bell housing and a high output radiator.

Or maybe a later model 302 with carburator but that would probably be too much for the old ingition and harness.

Personaly I love 460s and other Ford big blocks but think they might be too much of this size truck?

If he goes through with it Ill still follow his build if he intends to post it-
-Air in, Blood out-
snow

Post by snow »

hey thanks for all the info guys...so im taking the 460, tranny, transfercase from the 84...its a four speed..... i was looking at lms mag. and there are two different engine mounts that will work except the the main difference was one was for a FE series and the other not....now remember i am pretty new to all this so what is the difference between fe and none..... thanks again...and i have lots of pics.....i still havent figured out how to post them yet though
sgettin

Post by sgettin »

i'm pbly gonna get beat up for saying this but i would:

a: figure out just how trashed your 292 is.

b: if your 292 is trash either rebuild it, or use it for parts and rebuild another one and drop it in. i'm not up on the price of a 292 rebuild but would bet it isn't that bad especially if you figure in the difficulty of swapping in a 385 series engine. swapping is going to be a big pain in the azz unless your skilled in this area.

i've got a 292 in my 250 4x4 and it's fine.

just mho.

good luck with whatever you do.
snow

Post by snow »

thanks i appericate an honest oppenion...lol...still sticken with the 460 though....what dose the fe series mean? thanks :?
Falcon Interceptor

Post by Falcon Interceptor »

snow wrote:thanks i appericate an honest oppenion...lol...still sticken with the 460 though....what dose the fe series mean? thanks :?

Fe is not what you want. FE Big Block is 352, 360, 390 for the common ones.
A 460 is a 385 Series Big Block again mostly 429 or 460.

If you are a decent welder, I would suggest you pull the old motor and just drop the 460 between the fenders before you buy anything. Once you have it in place, just see how close the motor mounts are to the frame. You can either build frame mounts or a full crossmember. The crossmember does not have to be tubular.
Image 64 shorty, 300 big block, T-19, 3.89
Falcon Interceptor

Post by Falcon Interceptor »

.i can weld...thats what i do for a side job...so i can make all sorts of brackets and what not

Again, once the motor is in the truck, It should be pretty clear what needs done.

That's what I suggest since you're a welder
Last edited by Falcon Interceptor on September 5, 2009, 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image 64 shorty, 300 big block, T-19, 3.89
Wall Flood

Post by Wall Flood »

snow wrote:hey thanks for all the info guys...so im taking the 460, tranny, transfercase from the 84...

In a way that makes sense because then you only need to have drive shafts made or modify the ones you have to mate to your transfer case.

Of course, you have the brakes issue but from what Ive seen in the past couple of weeks reading here and elsewhere thats no too hard of a swap.

Some type of ladder bar set up for the rear might be in your future too-
-Air in, Blood out-
Tech

Post by Tech »

Where in Washington are you?
Craigslist always has people parting out old trucks. A factory crossmember shouldn't be that hard to find.
Mine has a factory front crossmember probably from a 2wd because part of it has been notched for clearance to the pumpkin. Later frames are wider and would not work.
Tech
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

snow wrote:washington state..i would have left the 292 in there except a mechanice buddy said it was trash.

Did he mean your engine was trash? Or was he saying that all Y-blocks are trash. If it's the latter he's full of crap and doesn't know what he's talking about. They are perfectly good engines and can be built up to equal the 302's without too much trouble. You're probably not going to find a running one sitting in someone's garage but the parts are available to rebuild. It depends on what you are going to use your trucks for.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
sgettin

Post by sgettin »

well as long as your sticking to your guns and going with the 460 i have to wonder what a 460cu engine with your factory gear ratio will be like. i think (most of what i think is actually what i read on here) there were just two options for a 64 f250 4x4. 556:1 and 580's or something. you definately won't fall short on low end torque.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

sgettin wrote:well as long as your sticking to your guns and going with the 460 i have to wonder what a 460cu engine with your factory gear ratio will be like. i think (most of what i think is actually what i read on here) there were just two options for a 64 f250 4x4. 556:1 and 580's or something. you definately won't fall short on low end torque.

f250 4x4s common gearing was 4.56

to clear up something else mentioned above, the only slick 4x4 that used the 2wd cab and coil spring front end is the 66 f100 4x4. everything else used the early style cab with the leaf spring front end and the early style engine mounts.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Welcome back Ice. You've been missed.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer