Unibody Cab Mounting Rubbers: How to Make Your Own.

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

charliemccraney

Unibody Cab Mounting Rubbers: How to Make Your Own.

Post by charliemccraney »

By popular demand, here is my solution for the Unibody Cab mounting Rubbers.

After finding out that the rubbers for a unibody are not reproduced and mine are toast I had to come up with something else. I found some neoprene spring rubber which is weather resistant,oil resistant, abrasion resistant and impact resistant with a durometer rating of 75A. Sounds like promissing stuff. I got some 6" long 2 1/2" diameter with a 3/4" hole through the center pieces.
I acquired the rubber from Mcmaster-Carr, http://www.mcmaster.com/#8637k311/=69r520

The original upper mounts look like they started life as a 2 5/16" diameter, 1" tall, with a 3/4" hole through the center and a 1 5/16" diameter, 3/16" recess in the top.

The original lower rubber looks like it started out as a 2" x 2" square, 9/16" tall, with a 3/4" hole through the middle.

I found that a chop saw does an excellent job of cutting rubber.

First I cut the top mounts to the 1" thickness required.

Image Image

Next I had to cut the 3/16" recess for the 1 5/16" washer. The only thing I had in my tool box that would do this is a vast collection of hole saws. So I got it set up in my drill press, using a 3/4" hole saw to aproximately locate the center of the rubber followed by progressively larger (or smaller depending how you start out) hole saws, minding the depth of each saw, until I had the cut I needed. I tried a grinding stone for this operation and it did not work at all.

Image Image

I used a carbide bur with my dremel to clean up the cut.

Now on to the lower rubbers. I could not find any square bars of rubber with the 3/4" hole so I just used what I had to make them. I cut them to the 9/16" thickness needed with the chop saw. Now comes making them square.

I used one of the old rubbers with a 3/4" spacer to approximate the cuts and made the cuts with the chop saw. The old rubber was removed while making the cuts to avoid damage toit. Do this until all for sides have been cut.

Image Image

Old on left. New on right.

I did not worry about the 3/16" larger diameter (2 1/2" rather than 2 5/16") of the new upper rubbers. Hopefully it does not come back to bite me in the but. So now after many, many, many hours of labor the rubbers are ready!

The only other thing I decided to reproduce is the 3/4" od, .600" id, 1 11/32" tall spacer. I made this out of 3/4", .065" wall stainless steel tube. This one's easy measure twice, cut once with the chop saw.

Image Image

I also purchased some grade 8 fine thread 1/2" bolts 4 1/2" long and grade 8 nuts to match. I was able to find the large od flat washers on the very bottom in stainless. I could not find the upper 9/16" id, 1 5/16" od, 3/16" thick flat washers in anything - steel or stainnless. I'll probably have a bud whip out a few on his lathe.

Image Image

The bolts are only hand tight at the time of writing this.

So there. Hopefully this will help those unibody folks who need to replace cab mounting rubbers but can't find them anywhere.
Last edited by charliemccraney on March 18, 2010, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

nice work :rocker:
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
1961 slickwilly

Post by 1961 slickwilly »

you should re pop these your self i'd be interested
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

1961 slickwilly wrote:you should re pop these your self i'd be interested

I would love to but my current living situation prevents that. I can't work on stuff where I live due to the communists at home association. My friend, who's house I've been using to do things, just moved to Kansas City to keep his job with GM. I need to find another place to live before I'll be able to produce them.

They are holding up quite well. It's been a year since I made them and this year I've driven the truck daily. I would like to put more time on them but some of the chinese crap would have been dead and gone by now, so I guess that puts me ahead of the game.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
1961 slickwilly

Post by 1961 slickwilly »

i understand that i couldnt even drive the 65 i use to have to my moms house when i visited her her nirghbors always complained of an inoperative vehicle never made since it wasnt show quality but was a nice every day driver and i drove it up there( around 1hr30min on way) so she always had to meet me at her work so i could leave my truck just to aavoid the hassel needless to say she dnt live there any more
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

1961 slickwilly wrote:i understand that i couldnt even drive the 65 i use to have to my moms house when i visited her her nirghbors always complained of an inoperative vehicle never made since it wasnt show quality but was a nice every day driver and i drove it up there( around 1hr30min on way) so she always had to meet me at her work so i could leave my truck just to aavoid the hassel needless to say she dnt live there any more

Say whut??
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim
slickmainer
United States of America

Re: Unibody Cab Mounting Rubbers: How to Make Your Own.

Post by slickmainer »

Also reference this thread when making your own, it has photos of NOS ones and measurements

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24954&p=216795&hilit=unibody+mounts#p216795
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here