Front cap removal

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

I_am_fishbait

Front cap removal

Post by I_am_fishbait »

Hey everyone,
I am starting the planning for the CV front end suspension surgery. I just have an odd question, Can you take the front cap off as one piece? This is my first slick that I have gone beyond the minor repair with and I'm just not sure if it will come off all together or do you have to spend all day getting it a piece at a time?

thanks,
That nagging sound you hear in the back of your mind when you lay down to sleep at night is rust devouring the projects you keep putting off.

62 Uni 1/2 ton
oldfordcoupe
United States of America

front cap

Post by oldfordcoupe »

if you have help just lift the hood and the whole front cap aill come off with the rad. support
Falcon Interceptor

Post by Falcon Interceptor »

If you don't have much help, it will be easier to remove the shock towers first.
They will be in the way when you try to slide it off.

I have moved the entire unit around by myself but I wouldn't recomend it.
These should be the bolt locations:
Under each fender, one at the bottom(near the ground) and one on the firewall
Also inside the cab behind the little access covers,
And the two under the core support,
I also had to pull the front bumper but again I have no help

You can just unbolt the radiator and it will stay in place, you wont have to drain the fluids unless you're pulling the engine.
Image 64 shorty, 300 big block, T-19, 3.89
Effie

Post by Effie »

We were standing around in the garage planning a plan and my brother says, I bet it wouldn't take much to have that whole front clip off. We had it all stripped down in a couple hours. Taking it apart is easy, putting it back together is the hard part. :lol:

We took off the hood, then the fenders, the grill and headlight doors, then the upper and lower pieces and then took the radiator support and inner fenders off in one piece.

I have the disassembly pics in this album:
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/17895/69395
~/\/\elissa~
Image '66 F100 -- Little Black
Image '78 Bronco -- Brutus

twotone

Post by twotone »

effie
about how long do you reckon it took to put your front end back together?
did you drill small alignment holes or make reference marks or just do the trial and error fit. I have my front end off and i took it apart piece by piece and i did not make any reference marks. In the process of stripping the pieces and getting ready to paint them.
I_am_fishbait

Post by I_am_fishbait »

Thanks guys I appreciate it. Especially the location of all the bolts. Some of them are easy to spot but its the one that isn't that is the pain in the keester.
That nagging sound you hear in the back of your mind when you lay down to sleep at night is rust devouring the projects you keep putting off.

62 Uni 1/2 ton