bumper fill gas tank

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jercasche
United States of America

bumper fill gas tank

Post by jercasche »

I am working on fabricating a mustang gas tank mount under my truck bed. I am going to try to put the filler neck right behind the license plate in the bumper. If it works out, I will take some pics. I am sort of following the mustang gas tank directions on the tech page.
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
BMJ's 65

Post by BMJ's 65 »

I'm interested to see what you do as I am looking into doing the Mustang tank myself. Pics will be good :)
What's in the garage at any given moment?

FE powered Bump
93 Lightning
66 Slick strewn all over the place
08 Taurus
13" Huffy W/ training wheels
randyr

Post by randyr »

This guy did it... http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... =crown+vic
but I'm not sure that he used a Mustang tank. He was supposed to post pics but never did. I hope you figure it out cause it make a lot more sense than have the filler stick up into the bed.
Keep us posted.....thanks.
Brian Taylor
United States of America

Post by Brian Taylor »

The stock Mustang when you accellerate with a full tank sloshes furl oot of the filler, so keep that in mind.
I wnat to take the tank out of my cab too and I will be watching the out come. You guys have found some great mods for our trucks.
1966 Ford F-100 LWB 300
Brian Taylor
United States of America

Post by Brian Taylor »

The stock Mustang when you accellerate with a full tank sloshes furl oot of the filler, so keep that in mind.
I wnat to take the tank out of my cab too and I will be watching the out come. You guys have found some great mods for our trucks.
1966 Ford F-100 LWB 300
jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

I have the frame fabbed up and mounted under the bed. I just used some 1"x1" 16 ga sqare tubing for the frame. I used some 1" 1/4 flat plate and some 2" x 2" angle iron for the brackets. I ended up mounting the frame on top of the flange of the gas tank. I should have put it underneath it.

Just a note the filler neck is not exactly in the center of the tank.

The tank is mounted.
[albumimg]6760[/albumimg]

Rear bracket. I used about a 8" long piece of angle iron and welded the flat plate on the inside of it. I left all of the frame rail mounts in the same place. and drilled some holes in the crossmember just behind the rear end.
[albumimg]6759[/albumimg]

I used about a 2" long piece of angle iron and welded it to the flat plate on the inside of it. The bolt holes ended up about 2 1/4" from the end of the frame rail. The total length of the bracket is about 3 1/2" from the top of the flange on the gas tank.
[albumimg]6758[/albumimg]

I cut a hole in the rear plate right in front of the bumper. I missed the mark by a little but I will have to make a plate to mount the filler neck anyway. I plan on hiding the cap behind a folding license plate. I will eventually buy a bumper with a folding license plate bracket.
[albumimg]6761[/albumimg]
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
randyr

Post by randyr »

jercasche wrote:I have the frame fabbed up and mounted under the bed. I just used some 1"x1" 16 ga sqare tubing for the frame. I used some 1" 1/4 flat plate and some 2" x 2" angle iron for the brackets. I ended up mounting the frame on top of the flange of the gas tank. I should have put it underneath it.

Just a note the filler neck is not exactly in the center of the tank.

The tank is mounted.
[albumimg]6760[/albumimg]

Rear bracket. I used about a 8" long piece of angle iron and welded the flat plate on the inside of it. I left all of the frame rail mounts in the same place. and drilled some holes in the crossmember just behind the rear end.
[albumimg]6759[/albumimg]

I used about a 2" long piece of angle iron and welded it to the flat plate on the inside of it. The bolt holes ended up about 2 1/4" from the end of the frame rail. The total length of the bracket is about 3 1/2" from the top of the flange on the gas tank.
[albumimg]6758[/albumimg]

I cut a hole in the rear plate right in front of the bumper. I missed the mark by a little but I will have to make a plate to mount the filler neck anyway. I plan on hiding the cap behind a folding license plate. I will eventually buy a bumper with a folding license plate bracket.
[albumimg]6761[/albumimg]

Hi Jerasche,
Could you take some wider shots that show how far the tank hangs below the frame rails and also a wide shot of the back of the truck where you cut the hole? That would help put it all in perspective for us. Thanks.
jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

I took some more pictures. It is really hard to get under there and get a good shot.

Here is a wide view rear shot. The hole is about 3" square.
[albumimg]6762[/albumimg]

The green line is the total length of the bracket @ 4 1/2".
The red line is 2 1/4" for the bolt hole.
The maroon line is 2" from the top of the fuel tank to the bottom of the frame rail.
[albumimg]6763[/albumimg]

Side view.
[albumimg]6764[/albumimg]
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
randyr

Post by randyr »

Wow! You're fast with the extra pics! Thanks. Most of the other rear tank mounts I've seen have moved the rear crossmember rearward and mounted the tank up between the frame rails. Yours appears to be mounted below all of that. Does that make the tank visible when looking at the truck in profile? Are you concerned about the tank being too low to the ground?
Thanks again for the extra pics.
jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

I did not want to move anything that had to do with the frame. I did not want to pull the bed off either due to room limitations. The bed fill location would be hard if the truck is loaded.

The bottom of the pumpkin on my rear end is about 7" from the ground. The bottom of the fuel tank is 10 3/4" from the ground with the way that I have it mounted. If I end up dropping the rear end a couple of inches I will have to modify the brackets.

I will get a couple of pics on the tank frame set up when I do the plumbing for the tank.
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

I hit a bump in the road.

I have a 2 1/4" OD neck on the fuel tank and a 1 1/2" OD neck on the fuel filler that I bought. I have about 12" of room to play in between the two.

What is the best way to hook up the two?
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
bluebolt

Exhaust adapter

Post by bluebolt »

jercasche wrote:I hit a bump in the road.

I have a 2 1/4" OD neck on the fuel tank and a 1 1/2" OD neck on the fuel filler that I bought. I have about 12" of room to play in between the two.

What is the best way to hook up the two?

Perhaps an exhaust pipe adapter.
64Ranger

Post by 64Ranger »

jercasche,

That is interesting that you are working on the same idea I am working on. I have been working on this for the past few months (not much time) and am just about complete. I will post some pictures. I used a 69 Mustang 20 gal tank.

Like minds.....
Doug
Riverside, CA
64Ranger

Post by 64Ranger »

Here are a few pictures of my "through the bumper fill" project...
This is the hole I cut in the bumper
This where I moved and notched out the rear cross member
This the frame I built for the tank...it hangs about 3" lower than most of the "fill through the bed" style.
This is the 1970 Mustang tank that I welded a piece of 2 1/2" exhaust pipe on.
This is it installed in the truck...

I am not as good a welder as most of the guys on this site, but I try. I still have to run the fuel line and electrical and connect the two pieces of fill tube together with 2 1/2" Fuel hose.

What do you think?
Doug
Riverside, CA
Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

That looks really good Doug. I like the idea
Mark

jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

Why did you move the crossmember? The fab work looks pretty good to me. It looks like the top of the tank would be below the factory crossmember location. My tank hangs about 3" below most bed fill installations. It is good to know that if I get a factory style bumper I am really close on the filler neck installation.

Where did you find the license plate fold down bracket?

I am going to build a pocket of some kind to hold the filler neck so the bumper can be replaced on mine. I just have to figure it out. There is a piece that hangs under the bed that I am probably going to mount my filler neck to. It is the green piece right behind my bumper.
[albumimg]6762[/albumimg]
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

Can anyone give me a couple of pics of the factory bumper brackets for a 64 short bed? I am going to add one down the road and I want to make sure of my filler placement. My bumper now was homemade and has brackets that are too.
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
64Ranger

Post by 64Ranger »

Thanks Mark...

jercasche,

You are right...I didn't need to move the crossmember, but I wasn't sure how low I would have to go with the tank and that was the first thing I did. It ended up that by moving it I had a great place to attach the rear part of the tank frame.

I purchased that bracket from 4 Wheel Parts, they are on the web but it just so happen that they had a local shop. The part # is OAI 11233.01. It is actually for a Jeep.
Doug
Riverside, CA
64Ranger

Post by 64Ranger »

jercasche,

Here are some pictures of my 64 Short Styleside rear bumper bracket. These are of the right side.

Hope this helps...
Doug
Riverside, CA
jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

Thanks for the pics. I should be pretty close with my layout now.
I will look for that license plate bracket.
It will be a little while before I get to work on it again as I am out of town.
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood