frame length

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Chefsonfire

frame length

Post by Chefsonfire »

Anyone know what the dimension would be on a '66 short wheel base truck, from the center of the front cab mount ,to the center of the core support? just trying to do things right. Thanks...
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Not an issue.
That measurement is consistent for all 1961-1966 trucks.
It doesn't matter if you have a short or long wheelbase truck,F-100 or
f-250, the measurement from the c/l on the core support mount to the c/l on the front cab mount is the same.
All the deviations happen behind the c/l of the rear cab mount.
Uncle Skip
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Chefsonfire

frame length

Post by Chefsonfire »

I was under that beleif..the call out was due to my suspension swap out(posted in suspension nightmares). Was using a template supplied from a guy in Ca. that dipicts where the frame is to be "notched " so the replacement crossmember has a square suface for mounting. The template is for a '66. I have a '61. He tells me that the whole frame is different and that the '66 template will not work. True, all kinds of holes and markings do not line up. I was using the core support "marks" for my "square one". I am of the beleif, that if the frames are the same...( front end length) the spindles should line up correctly. Want to double...TRIPLE check this time.! Thanks for the input...
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Skip
the front of the straight axle and i beam frames are different
i do not know without measuring what the correct dimension between the 2 points on the frame.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Chefsonfire

no front wheels yet

Post by Chefsonfire »

I guess the concern lies in getting the spindle to position correctly in the fender.....just having a hard time cutting loose with $150.00 for "the" template....brown paper and magic marker...I know it will probably pay for itself in aggravation...but having a hard time with $$$( like everyone) and at this rate, who knows when I'll get wheels under it..
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

You can use the location of the bumpstops. This will give you a marked spot on the frame to reference the spindles on you new suspension with. then you just measure forward & back from that center point for your cuts. Most important for it to be square with the frame if your wheel centers are off by 1/16" either way no one will notice anyway due to the teardrop shape of the wheel arch.
Seeings as twin I trucks have a "rear" and "front" axle you would also need to be sure both bumpstops are in the same spot before cutting anything on one of those. With your 61 being a straight axle you are in buisiness, the bumpstops are straight across from each other, double check them though. If you want your wheels centered the same as the twin I trucks not like original you will need to move the whole mess about 1" towards the front. Twin I and straight axle trucks don't even have the same front axle centering in the wheel arch anyway. Mine is different than stock too, the axle moved forward a little with the mono leaf springs installed.
BTW, what suspension "kit" do you have?
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
65f100_Thug
United States of America

Post by 65f100_Thug »

Also as a second measurement the wheel base is 115 from center wheel to center wheel on a short wheel base 65 anyway.
HAVE YOU DISASSEMBLED A FORD LATELY?

10136 98349929981298119816
Chefsonfire

Post by Chefsonfire »

Attempting to use a mid 80's dodge torsion bar set-up....not that complex...I had it alresady installed and realized I didn't have it square...alll original suspension items have been removed...just trying to figure a way to use the 66 template for my " front to back" measurement...would like to keep the wheel centered of the fender.. Thanks to all for the input
Chefsonfire

p.s.

Post by Chefsonfire »

So, by that reasoning, I could use the 66 template and move my cuts 1 inch forward on the frame to keep the wheels centered?. easy enough...
Greg D
United States of America

Re: p.s.

Post by Greg D »

Chefsonfire wrote:So, by that reasoning, I could use the 66 template and move my cuts 1 inch forward on the frame to keep the wheels centered?. easy enough...
Using the 66 wheelbase will put the wheel center about 1" forward of the 61-64 position. If you want the later centering move 1" forward from the straight axle bumpstops. You have the idea sounds like you just had your years reversed.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.