Straight axle front sway bar

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Uncle Skip
United States of America

Straight axle front sway bar

Post by Uncle Skip »

Gentlemen and ladies.
A front sway bar for a straight axle truck is an absolute - must second only to disk brakes.
You can make one for a couple of bucks if you're good at scrounging stuff up from the junk yard.
Here is the parts list.
1. Bronco II 4x4 front sway bar. Get all the brackets and stuff that goes with it. You won't need the links that connect it to the frame though.
The piece that bolts the bushing brackets to the frame is cut down and used behind the axle to mount the sway bar bushings. I also used this plate to find the hole centers for the C-channel front mount.
2. A piece of 2x1 heavy duty C-channel.
3. Two good rear offset sway bar links from a big Bronco or F-250.
4. Some kind of "L" shaped bracket to mount the upper part of the link to the frame. I used a motor mount bracket from a '55 chevy 6-cylinder but the rear of a late model Camero has a bracket that works just as well. I think its a sway bar mount but it's L-shaped and is located in the front of the rear wheel well.
5. 4 ea. - 3/8" grade 8 bolts and nylon lock nuts to mount the C-channel bracket to the axle.
6. 4 ea. - 3/8" grade 8 bolts and nylon lock nuts to mount the "L" bracket to the frame.
7. The mounting holes in the C-channel are on 3.4" centers. The notches for the axle are on 1.73" centers. You don't need to notch them too deep --- just enough to keep the bracket from rotation on the axle beam.

Take a look at the pictures of the parts needed and the final installation. If you have any questions, just ask.
I might even make a kit if anyone needs one and doesn't want to build their own.
Good luck.
U@ss
Last edited by Uncle Skip on May 15, 2012, 5:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Nice looking upgrade. :thumright:

Is there room to mount the top end of the links higher up, so the bottom end isn't the lowest part of the suspension? The reason I ask, is that it would be a bummer to catch it on a curb or something similar.
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

I just asked Skip about that the other day and he said yes, they can be mounted higher up on the frame. Matter of fact, he plans on flipping his mounts to raise it 1"-2" or so.
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
johnboy13

Re: Straight axle front sway bar

Post by johnboy13 »

Sorry to bring such an old thread to the top, but do you still have the pics available? They aren't showing and I can only find two in your profile. Thanks, John
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Uncle Skip wrote:Gentlemen and ladies.

A front sway bar for a straight axle truck is an absolute - must second only to disk brakes.

You can make one for a couple of bucks if you're good at scrounging stuff up from the junk yard.

Here is the parts list.

1. Bronco II 4x4 front sway bar. Get all the brackets and stuff that goes with it. You won't need the links that connect it to the frame though.

The piece that bolts the bushing brackets to the frame is cut down and used behind the axle to mount the sway bar bushings. I also used this plate to find the hole centers for the C-channel front mount.

2. A piece of 2x1 heavy duty C-channel.

3. Two good rear offset sway bar links from a big Bronco or F-250.

4. Some kind of "L" shaped bracket to mount the upper part of the link to the frame. I used a motor mount bracket from a '55 chevy 6-cylinder but the rear of a late model Camero has a bracket that works just as well. I think its a sway bar mount but it's L-shaped and is located in the front of the rear wheel well.

5. 4 ea. - 3/8" grade 8 bolts and nylon lock nuts to mount the C-channel bracket to the axle.

6. 4 ea. - 3/8" grade 8 bolts and nylon lock nuts to mount the "L" bracket to the frame.

7. The mounting holes in the C-channel are on 3.4" centers. The notches for the axle are on 1.73" centers. You don't need to notch them too deep --- just enough to keep the bracket from rotation on the axle beam.

Take a look at the pictures of the parts needed and the final installation. If you have any questions, just ask.

I might even make a kit if anyone needs one and doesn't want to build their own.

Good luck.

U@ss

the recent update made a pic issue, in order to see older pics you need to change the tag from [albumimg] to [album]
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
johnboy13

Post by johnboy13 »

thank you. Looks like that's just what I need to do.
milldogg22

Post by milldogg22 »

on my 63 i put a sway bar from a 94' full size bronco, the front frame width is the same on the trucks, and the bar has a bend in it and it clears the shocks. i will post some pics as soon as i can take them....
63' f100 longbed stepside
82' mustang gt
36' farmall f20
50' Allis WD