Alltanator

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

rick heisler

Alltanator

Post by rick heisler »

Just wondering if I can still uses the wiring from the original 292 generator on a new alternator ?Or will this be a problem and are they still wire red the same? thanks for any help with this guys.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

in a nutshell, no.
there are differences in wiring and in the voltage regulators.

you can however put in a GM style 1 wire alternator easily. this is against my religious persuasion (use only Ford parts) but does work well from what i have heard.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Iceman and Rick.
Ford also makes a really nice one wire alternator and its about the size of a grapefruit.
Very small and about 125 amps.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
rick heisler

Post by rick heisler »

WITH THE ONE WIRE ALT. DO I JUST GO DERECT TO POS OR NEED A REGULAYOR
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

ford alternator info. the 1G uses external regulator.
http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=63
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

I used a GM Alternator from a 78 Camaro cause the guy gave it to me free. Had to do a little re-wiring and fabricate a mounting bracket, but it has been working good for several years now. Even kept the same belt and adjusting bracket.

Fred
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

One wire alternator run a 10 ga. wire directly to the battery positive post.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
motormount1

MOTOR MOUNT

Post by motormount1 »

about 5 or 6 years ago i bought a one wire altonator for one of my tractors. i sold this tractor the new owner fixed the generator that came on the tractor and reinstalled it he gave me back my one wire. i put it on my 64 and got rid of alot of wires under the hood. it works perfectly.and i dont have all those wires.less crap that could go wrong. ive had as many as 3 slicks at one time. ive had things go wrong that should have not gone wrong,but they did.
Last edited by motormount1 on January 9, 2010, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rick heisler

Post by rick heisler »

THANKS GUYS I THINK ILL HAVE TO BYE A 1 WIRE ALT.
motormount1

Post by motormount1 »

with my one wire altonator i got from jc whiteny i had a gauge inline it caused it to not put as much power back into the battery so now ive got one wire fom it to the hot side of the cylinoid. use 10 gauge wire. it works best.at least it did on mine.
motormount1

motormount

Post by motormount1 »

you also can get a altonater for a 79 chevy that has a internal voltage regulator. get the plug that gose in it from auto zone. hook the wire that says battery on it to the post on the back of the alt.and from the post on the alt run a 10 gauge wire.the othere wire on the plug run back into the cab.get a 12 volt light that you can hook up ungrounded. tie the wire in you ran back into the cab in to one of the 2 wiers on the ungrounded light the other wire hook to somthing unfused that turns on and off with the key switch.just make sure that what ever you hook to is positve current. i did this to my 73 ford i had in high school and it lasted till i sold it 4 or 5 years later.