robert's 61 F350

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Santi

Post by Santi »

Sweet.. Thanks Anthony- I just ordered the white ones also..

Question though- was I suppose to order the adhesive also or does it come with it or I'm sure I can use something similar from a hobby store or something?
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

scott. you can find 4 gauge clusters in some f 500 and 600's. most on ebay come from 66 to 77 bronco's a bronco would probably have an alt. gauge where a 500/600 would probably have an amp gauge, never saw a gen gauge but that dosen't mean they are not out there. mix and match the parts from the old cluster with the 4 gauge cluster and keep your speedo head. make a map of your old wireing when you remove your old cluster.what wire color goes where that keeps it simple and no wondering, where did this wire go. keep an eye on ebay for one or post in parts wanted.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

sgettin wrote:i want to do the same conversion to pressure gauge and generator gauge. do i need to find a cluster set up this way or can i convert my current cluster(it's set up same as rhwhistles "before" picture).

i want to retain the original speedo milage. also to be honest i don't know if there is such a thing as a generator gauge or if alternators are the only thing that came with a gauge.

thanks for any guidence.
scott

i have the generator gauges you can find them in 61-64 big trucks or some 61-64 custom cabs. the housings are different so you cant trade the lights for gauges without using the gauge style housing but you can remove the odometer part and reinstall it in the new one to keep the mileage.

heres the pics and info

http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9711
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

The White overlays are pre-sticky.. very cool set up. soak with soapy water and you can move them around till you get them in place, squeegee out the excess soapy water then use a hair dryer to heat up and mold to the curve of the cluster. Simple and easy.... I really like these over lays... They will come with instructions. Just take your time and work them out slowly. I want to see pics when your done.... :lol: :lol:
sgettin

Post by sgettin »

thanks whistles and iceman for the information.
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

well in order to get my gear ratio from 5.14 to 3.73 gonna swap to a d70 8lug rear axel and to keep the brakes the same front and rear will change the fronts to 8lug front hubs also. gonna put 19.5 rims on it to keep the tall tire look that is if I can find 1 more 8lug 19.5 rim.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

well got a little work done today. the headlights have been changed over to a relay system. hopefuly with the help of one of my son's and a friend we can start swapping out the axles tomorrow.anyone know where I might find an 8 lug 19.5 ford rim with the hubcap nibs on the inside like a 3/4 ton. the three I found out back came off a 73 bread truck I had. yea I lost one somehow in the last 10 years.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
Santi

Here's the pics

Post by Santi »

Anthony wrote:The White overlays are pre-sticky.. very cool set up. soak with soapy water and you can move them around till you get them in place, squeegee out the excess soapy water then use a hair dryer to heat up and mold to the curve of the cluster. Simple and easy.... I really like these over lays... They will come with instructions. Just take your time and work them out slowly. I want to see pics when your done.... :lol: :lol:

Just finished installing the white overlays.. I think they came out pretty good..Here you go:

BEFORE Image

Almost done Image

Just needs painting or chromed Image
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

I really like the white overlay. A question though, did it come with the sticker for a generator gage? I've been thinking about buying one for "Ole Red" but would like to keep the Generator backing if at all possible.
Santi

Post by Santi »

They only came with the Fuel, Temp, Oil, and Alt...

Not sure if you can get a Generator overlay.
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

didn't get to the axels yet rained on my son's day off. got a couple of things done today though. adjusted the tow in and out on the front axel and it steers a little better now. installed a step in the drivers side of the bed something I picked up off of ebay. don't know if thease were ford or brand x origionaly but I figured it would be something different. now just gotta get that rear diff changed out.

1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

well I decided to break out the mig I've had for years and try my hand at welding sheet metal.thanks to the web site on mig welding in hints and tips I'm quite happy with the results. just hope I get better with more experiance.

this was one of two holes in the top of the bed where a tool box was mounted.

after that went farily well I got brave and decided to fill in the mirror arm hole.I had a scrap of metal from the hole I cut in the bed for the step.so I cut a piece to fit and arched it to fit the door and proceeded to weld it in
here it is after grinding and priming. will need a little body filler later.

painted all my welding with flat black to hide them as much as possible.

went for broke and removed the west coast style mirror and filled all the holes. I plan on putting a different style mirror on my truck.

top holes filled and ground down

mirror gone and holes covered up.

got the drivers side done today and plan on doing the passenger side tomorrow.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

managed to get a little more done yesterday and today.took the mirror of the passenger door and filled all the holes

now that I can mig up a hole fairley well was time for the horse to come off the hood.

although he had started to grow on me and I was tempted to leave him on the hood I managed to find him a new home.

and here he is right over my tool shed door.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

done some more on the doors. cut holes for the cc scratch guards and got them installed. not wanting them and the cc script on the door together I took the cc script off and filled the holes.

but I found a new home for them.no not on the shed door. I put them on the door access panel of both doors.

sorry for that last pic should have been a little closer. that is the only one I took today will just have to make do.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

looking like your making good progress Whistles... the overlays look great, did they go on as easy for you as mine did???? I really like the CC script idea. I have pockets for my doors but you have given me inspiration to find someplace else to put the script. Keep up the work and keep those pics coming.... looking good.. :thumright: ....
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

thanks anthony, I never got around to ordering the white overlays and in the mean time several other people chimed in and wanted to do the same thing. now I am leaning toward one of the other colors and the led bulbs he sells.once I figure a way to cordinate the color of the gauges with other things in the cab like gearshift knob and switch knobs then I can pick a color.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

looking good robert! my friend's 63 has that same style step in the bed side too. those cc scratch guards are too cool. nice work on filling those holes.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

ups brought the toolbox and mirror arms and brackets from rich last friday. didn't get anything done over the weekend because of easter.but got a little done yesterday and today. mirrors arms and brackets were sandblasted if needed and painted. went to pepboys and picked up mirror heads today and mounted the mirrors.

then I sandblasted the toolbox and primed it

now for the fun part. started measuring the bed to detrmine where to cut for the toolbox and thats where haveing an f350 gets interesting.the frame is wider than an f100. the box is to deep also the contour of the bed if a little different than a stylside so the box will have to be mounted higher up on the bed. then I run into clearence problems with the front 2 bed crossmembers. so my thoughts are trim a little off the crossmembers and make channels in the top of the toolbox to fit over the crossmembers and that should solve that problem. then cut the back off the box and shorten it a little. I'll take pics of that fiasco when I get it started gotta get the sheetmetal to fab up the channels and the back of the box.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

There was a piece of body filler comeing off the rear of the bed below the tail light. so today I decided to find out what was under it. I started grinding it off expecting to find swiss cheese looking metal. there was about a half inch of body filler covering a large poorly pulled out dent.

got all the filler out of the way, drilled holes, and pulled it out as best as I could.

welded all the holes up.

decided to weld and fill the seam between the top and bottom halves. yep I found more body filler all the way past the tail light. A little more grinding, drilling,pulling, and welding and its ready to be filled.

Will try to get that done tomorrow. Then I get to do the other side.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

got the filler on today and one coat of primer and naturally a few small dings showed up that will need attention. Hopefully can get those taken care of tomorrow. Then a couple of coats of flat black. I use flat black because it kinda blends in with the oxidized paint job and it dosent look as out of place as gloss black would. Besides it will be sanded down when and if I get arount to a complete paint job.

1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper