What modernizations have you made?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

bigtrip460

Post by bigtrip460 »

ripsnorter wrote:
Shawn F. wrote:You know what would top all of these modernized things? Getting a new Ford fullsized truck and just using the whole chassis and running gear and wiring, lighting, etc but just put our bodies on the chassis to fit. It would be a nice reliable and like new truck but have the old truck look. :D Someone up for the challenge? I sure am not. :p

You can actually stick your hand down in the engine compartment and have room to turn a wrench. Modern vehicles you can't even fit your pinky in there anywhere. Tune up requires pulling the engine, etc.

the drivers side of my engine compartment is so tight in spots i almost have to drop the brake booster to tighten the headers and get to the 7 and 8 plugs.

oh yeah on topic i have shoulder belts too.
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

most of my modernizing is stuff that would not make sense to go original on,like...

radial tires
unleaded gas
synthetic oil

i also have am msd 5 module to make the points last longer. the stainless steel bowl over the paper air cleaner is not original either

the inline pcv valve is for a 390 police interceptor...
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

Well someone did the 66 thing huh? Pretty cool I guess but not my type. What I meant was the chassis and drivetrain but that guy went all the way with the bed and interior, etc. I don't like to change the old look of the truck just the handling and engine wise. Don't get me wrong I like the old 6 cylinders a lot too and yes they are very reliable. I am the same way with the engine compartments being big and open and SIMPLE. Sure A/C is nice and power windows, steering, brakes, etc but then again it's so nice to see an engine compartment with very little wiring seen and no hoses all over the place with the huge compressor and power steering pump, etc. Like they say, there's an ass for every seat but I still admire everyone's vehicles and trucks whether I like it or not.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

ripsnorter wrote:
Shawn F. wrote:You know what would top all of these modernized things? Getting a new Ford fullsized truck and just using the whole chassis and running gear and wiring, lighting, etc but just put our bodies on the chassis to fit. It would be a nice reliable and like new truck but have the old truck look. :D Someone up for the challenge? I sure am not. :p

To be honest I wouldnt want it. Part of the beauty of these old trucks is that I personally can work on them. You can actually stick your hand down in the engine compartment and have room to turn a wrench. Modern vehicles you can't even fit your pinky in there anywhere. Tune up requires pulling the engine, etc.

I love the simplicity of these trucks, which is the way I want em. Any modern upgrades to me would be as simple as possible and true to the theme.

---- Edit -----

Oh yeah and since I've had my '62, my stepfathers 1 year old $45,000 Dodge got stranded up in the mountains, needing a $700 tow job that the warrenty wouldnt cover, and was in the shop for over a week. The entire time I happily drove past his house every single day in my lil' ole 62 Ford Inline 6 :D :rotflmao: So much for new trucks reliability :mrgreen:

i tried to just buy an engine and frame back in the late 80s to do that, but they would not sell me one.said i had to buy the whole truck.

nothing about the new trucks excites me anyways, the slicks and bumps are far easier to deal with, especially if you have a roadside breakdown.

only thing i think needs to be done is the dual mc.
everything else is for convenience
my trucks steer and brake the same running or not
ps and pb die when the engine stops running
makes it harder to stop and steer than if you had manual.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Personally, I tried to build my truck as close to the way I would have had to do it in the early 60's.
Thus, resto-rod Nadine. 8)
I graduated from high school in 1963 and the XL-100 was the Holy Grail for me.
My only exception is disk brakes, 3-point sholder harness, sway bars, etc. Every thing else is period and all the running gear has a "C" part number on it including the exhaust headers and 3x2 intake.
The wheels are from a 70's Dodge Ram truck but other than that, its mostly all Ford.
Do it your way, make it safe, enjoy it.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Lowell
United States of America

Post by Lowell »

Mine is pretty well stock too, except for cd-mp3 radio and under dash brake light switch. im not against doing something to improve safety liike disc brakes . i will at least upgrade to dual master cylinder ,but probaly not until i have to replace the old one. I also put on radial tires if that counts
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Uh, Lowell, I never claimed Nadine was stock.................... :shock:
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
joeymac64

Post by joeymac64 »

on my 64 i removed the straight axle and put 66 twin i beam under the front end chevy s 10 power steering box late model disk brakes removed the 292 and granny 3 speed in favour of 390 and toploader 4 speed 94 ford e 250 van aluminium driveshaft (bolts right in) kenwood am/fm cd new 66 outer chromeall glass is new side and back window have tint right in the glass and are tempered 55 t-bird gas tank in rear filled at original neck on cab a few changes all worth while oh yeah front and rear sway bars late model bronco
jkimbrel65
United States of America

Post by jkimbrel65 »

Nadine stock? :shock: Guess that make mine stock too!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I tried being normal once...
was the worst 10 minutes of my life
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

ripsnorter wrote:Oh yeah and since I've had my '62, my stepfathers 1 year old $45,000 Dodge got stranded up in the mountains, needing a $700 tow job that the warrenty wouldnt cover, and was in the shop for over a week. The entire time I happily drove past his house every single day in my lil' ole 62 Ford Inline 6 :D :rotflmao: So much for new trucks reliability :mrgreen:

That D word after you said $45,000 is your first clue :wink:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

$45,000 is too much to spend for a vehicle that is depreciated as soon as you get the key to it.

for that $ i could have a big all metal shop with a concrete floor and in floor heat on the next lot over from ours and that includes buying the 35,000 square foot lot.thats a worthwhile investment of $45K.
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Ice -- in floor heat -- you should go for it. Rig up a wood fired boiler, run antifreeze in the system, some X-linked pex piping. Surely wood is cheap in AK, or are you over the tree line?

Just my idle thoughts. Wish I had dropped some pex into my slab, at least these days. Warm floor beats warm air.......

I forgot another modern feature -- the Pertronix setup. Doing well at 3 years......
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

cd,
we have lots of wood, the treeline is several hundred miles north.
a friend built his shop/house on a slab with in floor heat.he made all his own steel trusses, the walls have 12" insulation,ceiling 24".shop is lower level, house is upstairs. he uses oil to heat the boiler, and has a small oil heater upstairs he rarely turns on.he used about 2 gallons a day in the coldest part of the winter.he spent a lot on insulation but it paid off.all that heat stays in and heat rises so its always warm upstairs.

he parks his f9000 diesel towtruck in the shop, when he needs to go on a towing job, he starts it up , pulls outside and in the time it takes him to close and lock the door is ready to leave.no block heaters, no glow plugs, just a warm shop.
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

It sure would be nice to have all that money to build a shop with heated floors and a house on top. Heck, I could even have the shop with no house and still be happy and even sleep in the darned thing. :p[/u]
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

heh that is precisely what I'm going to be doing :P

we have a 37ish foot trailer that we're living in at the moment, I'm building a 20x40 shop (broke ground on finally! woohoo!) which I'm going to be sleeping in and living in the corner of while miss ripsnorter gets the trailer (not properly miss ripsnorter yet)

Plans are actually to hopefully increase the shop to 40x140, but thats a year or two off if all goes well.
castruck_1964
Canada

Post by castruck_1964 »

Hmmm where do I start
full nascar style suspension including Penske shocks and Alcon 4wheel disc brakes :shock:
351windsor with richmond 6 speed trans :D
bucket seats, vintage air and stereo system
Slicks rule
dd/ 19 F150,97 Tbird
62 swb bbw uni next project
460 C6

Ken