Dirty work

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Uncle Skip
United States of America

Dirty work

Post by Uncle Skip »

I've been putting this off for a couple of years now, so I finally nutted up and replaced the front spring hanger bushings on Nadine.
Don't let anyone fool you.
This is an ugly job even if you have the core support off.
I imagine its worse (if it can be worse) if you're just working under the truck.
I jacked up the frame and let the front axle down with the jack until it took the pressure off the spring hanger, drove out the bolt and pushed the hangers back on the spring.
As for removing the old bushing, the best thing I can tell you is to peel it like an onion. One layer at a time.
Knock out the center sleeve, remove what rubber is left and then you struggle with the outer bushing shell.
I had a friend cut me a sleeve with a 3/8" hole in it just a little smaller than the diameter of the new bushing to drive out the outer sleeve.
When you put things back together, be sure to sand out the hole where the bushing goes in the frame until it's clean.
I brushed the outside of the new bushing and coated the bushing and hole with never-seize.
If you have some old sockets and extensions you don't mind ruining you might find one to drive the new bushing back in. I used an old 1/2" drive with a 12 point 11/16 socket that fits the outside shell of the new bushing and hammered it all back in place. Didn't hurt the socket, but it pretty well crapped out the extension.
Pretty much done at the cost of a couple of bruises and blood blisters, but its done and it needed to be done.
I'll post pictures later this evening.
Now the rear spring hanger bushings that mount to the frame. The springs already have new bushings. Film at 11.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Uncle, one of the guy`s posted how to take the outer casing out the easy way!, cut a slot in them with a sawzall just through the casing and pry them out with an old screw driver!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

gee whiz unca skip. suprizes me your not familiar with a bushing puller and installer. simple piece of pipe some allthread or a very long bolt some flat stock and away you go.simple to make.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Well, I started out with the bolt and washer idea, but the bolt bent because the shell was practically welded to the frame and I didn't want to go to the trouble to cut the shell.
It all worked out, but it was a bitch.
Just glad I didn't have to work under the truck.
The stuff around the bushing is nickel never-sieze.
And the 21 point socket was the only one that was thin enough to use as a driver. The female end of the extension is toast, but I'll keep it for later projects like this.
Next, the rear hanger bushings.

[albumimg]7485[/albumimg]

[albumimg]7486[/albumimg]

U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

going to take mine off and over to my friends shop and use his 75 ton press.

still going to have to do the ones in the frame here though.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
64fordf100292v8

Post by 64fordf100292v8 »

I just ground the rivits off and put the whole piece in the press and once I was done I bolted them back in the frame with grade 8 bolts. :D
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

64fordf100292v8 wrote:I just ground the rivits off and put the whole piece in the press and once I was done I bolted them back in the frame with grade 8 bolts. :D

i have given that some thought too. i have an extra frame i got last year that just had new bushings put in.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
jkimbrel65
United States of America

Post by jkimbrel65 »

Used a porta-power when I changed mine.Put the bushing in the freezer for a few days Went right in.Was a pain to get the old ones out
I tried being normal once...
was the worst 10 minutes of my life
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

I put my new set in the freezer overnight too. Worked like a champ but I did have hell getting the old ones out too. Heated them up with a torch and pressed them out with a piece of all-thread, a set of bushings and some nuts & washers.
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Took a torch to the rubber and let it burn till you could push the center out. Then took an air chisel the outer part. Nothing easy about it though. the burning thing may not be your best idea , if you have nice paint.

Rich
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Alan Mclennan wrote:Uncle, one of the guy`s posted how to take the outer casing out the easy way!, cut a slot in them with a sawzall just through the casing and pry them out with an old screw driver!

That's the method of choice for removing control arm bushings on 90's Hondas if you don't have access to a press. Burn out the rubber, press out the centre sleeve, and cut two slots in the outer sleeve about 1/2" apart with a hacksaw. Then you can drive a strip out of the sleeve with a hammer and punch.
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Sounds like a job for the smoke wrench................................ :roll:
Jim