Decisions, decisions...

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

azjake
United States of America

Decisions, decisions...

Post by azjake »

Today, I bought a '66 shortbed that has a 5.0 efi and auto tranny out of a 1989 Lincoln Towncar. (80,000miles on both) The truck came with the wiring & ecm from the Lincoln plus instructions on how to wire it up to the F100.

The frame has been sandblasted and painted black, paint is partially stripped from the cab, good fenders, extra radiator support, extra radiator, repair panels for the one cab corner with rust through (the only place that has rust through), all glass, original radio, dash unmolested, headliner, two ac condensors, no bed or rear bumper.

My problem? Do I want to finish this truck with this power plant, sell the engine/tranny and install my 300 w. Warner T-18, or sell the truck as-is? I have my '65 F100 longbed that I just got in running condition, so do not need this '66. But, it is never a questions of need, is it?

I will take some photos and post them tomorrow.

Jake
I think I'll go to the "Spousal Avoidance Center" (workshop) for a while...
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Re: Decisions, decisions...

Post by ezernut9mm »

azjake wrote: I will take some photos and post them tomorrow.

Jake

you'd better. lol

sounds pretty good jake. no matter which direction you go it sounds like a winner.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
azjake
United States of America

Post by azjake »

So...here are some photos of the purchase I made yesterday.

Jake
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

Looks like a good, solid, Slick puzzle to me! :wink: 8)

BarnieTrk :steering:
Obsa
United States of America

Post by Obsa »

Jake,
It looks it a fine project, Have you heard the 5.0 run? Do you know the condition of the auto trans? I would vote for the 300/T18 but I am a old stick in the mud simple carburetor and points (well maybe a pertronix) guy myself. Just my :2cents:
As my dad used to say, somewhere there was a horse that died a painful death from terminal constipation due to missing a key part of its anatomy.
deviant1

Post by deviant1 »

I say keep it, finish it up in primer, and drive it around a little to see if it would be something that you might want to keep. Then decide which direction to take, but do not put anything on it from your current project. Just my :2cents:
61 f100 shortbed unibody
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

as much as i do not care for later engines, if most of the work is done and you have all the parts to finish and the time/desire to mess with electroncs it might be the way to go.

myself i would sell the engine and put the 300 in.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
azjake
United States of America

Post by azjake »

BarnieTrk,
That's what I think, too!

Obsa,
The PO was building this truck for his wife and seemed to be doing everything right. He told me the engine and tranny were fine and that he ran the engine & checked the tranny before he pulled them from the Town Car. They have 80,000 miles on them.

His divorce was finalized Monday so he is selling everything & moving outta state.

deviant1,
No way will I cannibalize my '65 to get this F100 running! All parts are here (except gaskets for the glass) to get this thing running. It will mostly just take time.

Ice,
If I keep this truck, I will probably install the 300 & T-18 I have from another '66 F100. I do not care for EFI since I do not have the knowledge to keep it running. Now, a good 4bbl would be nice on thei engine, but I would not be able to use the transmission that is with it.

Jake
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Well, if you don't want to keep it how much do you want for it?
Inquiring minds want to know.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

http://fordfuelinjection.com/

It's really not that hard once you know how it works. It's not too tough to learn either.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Agreed. It can be a pain sometimes but once it's properly tuned and working well the driveability can't be beat. All the vacuum hoses and emissions components can be troublesome, but I think a lot of it can be eliminated. Replace the O2 sensors while the engine is out and you should be okay later on. The EFI harness comes out as a complete unit, so as long as the harness hasn't been butchered it should pretty much be plug and play.

The Crown Vic/Town Car/Grand Marquis engines are tuned for low-end torque so it should make for a nice daily driver. Especially with the AOD. 80,000 miles is nothing on these engines.

Just out of curiousity though, why wouldn't you be able to use the AOD if you switched to a carb? I don't think it's electronically shifted. I think all you need is a proper throttle valve cable kit.
azjake
United States of America

Post by azjake »

Greg D,
Thanks for the link. The PO did give me a book titled "How to understand, service & modify Ford fuel injection & electronic engine control" for 1988-1993 Ford, Lincoln & Mercury cars and light trucks by Charles O. Probst. I will research the book and the website you provided before I make a decision. But, you know what they say about old dogs...

The Big M,
You are probably correct. I thought that the transmission was electronically controlled. But, I am not that up with the newer engines/transmissions, so am probably wrong. Now, give me a good 4bbl carb and a 4 speed...

Jake
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

It looks a lot better than my rusty 63!!! Sweet deal. I'd run w/ the 5.0 until it craps out & then swap in the six... it looks like you've got the room....

Not sure what happened to this post so I fixed it...
Last edited by Rusty 63 on January 27, 2010, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azjake
United States of America

Post by azjake »

Rusty 63,

The only rust through on this 66 is in the right rear cab corner (very small) and the PO gave me two patch panels for it. One is an aftermarket and the other has been cut from another 66.

Jake
ABA

Post by ABA »

I ran a carb on a '93 model AOD no problem but you got to get the kickdown cable/rod just right or you'll burn the transmission up.
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
azjake
United States of America

Post by azjake »

Well, after much thought and deliberating back & forth, I have decided to sell this '66 F100. With everything else going on in my life right now, I do not need this project.

BTW, it does have the steering column, spindles, rotors and disc brake calipers for it from a '72 Ford.

If anyone is interested. please contact me. I am asking $1,500.00, but feel free to make an offer.

Jake
azjake
United States of America

Post by azjake »

Well, no one has bought this '66 F100, or even made an offer on it, so I am keeping it.

Today, I made a deal with a guy for freshly overhauled 302 engine & C6 tranny out of a mid '70s Ford. I am trading the 5.0EFI, E4OD tranny, wiring harness and ECM for his engine & tranny. Plus, he is removing my engine/tranny and installing his in my truck. Even trade. I will be taking my truck to him in the next few days.

I am not very knowledable when it comes to EFI or electronic ignition, but I can work on a carbed engine. So, it is a good trade to me.

Jake
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

I hear ya, Jake. I'm in the same boat.
The EFI stuff doesn't interest me and as a result I know very little about how it works and I have no desire to learn it.

This wrenching on old trucks stuff is supposed to be fun, not work. bang.gif

I think you made a good deal.
I hope the fella does ya right with the install.... luck.gif

BarnieTrk 8)
TxSlick66

Post by TxSlick66 »

Remember, that 89 5.0 is SPEED DENSITY and not MAF equipped, so if you plan on any performance mods it will need to be converted to MAF. I have the exact same engine I just pulled from an 89. I plan to ditch the EFI and install my 3x2 carb setup and a set of Edelbrock heads and keep it more old school. If you need EFI parts, this one has some new stuff on it I will let go of cheap. I have the entire setup as far as anything on the engine, but no harness or computer. I was too lazy to pull it off the car when I had it here.
TxSlick66
aka MustangSteve

Money you ENJOY wasting is NOT wasted money...
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

good to see you found something simple for it.... i hate EFI.... having dealt with it a bit on the Geo, I wish it was as simple as Aggie! lol

when working right, EFI is great, but MAN it can be a PAIN!
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage