Rusty 63 F100 + 04 CV PI

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

Spent some more time cleaning the garage today, but did manage to get the rear leaf bracket and the stub of the 2nd cross member out.

Before:

After:

Not too exciting, but at least it's progress!
getoan

Post by getoan »

Thanks for the info on your other thread. I agree with you that there was no problem, but the powers that be will be.
I am in the same place with my 63 f100, almost done the cv install. What are your ideas for the steering? Use the stock column and adapt to the cv power rack & pinion?
Your thread has helped me out alot, thanks for the motivation. Keep up the good work!
oldfordcoupe
United States of America

Post by oldfordcoupe »

i used the cv steering collum and braced it at two different spots in the cab and two on the outside of the cab seems to work ok i'll try to post some photos later i
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

I'm torn. I'd like to use the cv column for the cruise on the stick & shifter, but hate the bulkiness of the column and the wheel itself...
Rusty 63
United States of America

If you were wondering why my progress hit a wall

Post by Rusty 63 »

We found out about 6 weeks ago that we're having a baby!

So my project has kinda taken a back seat to getting the rest of life in order... not to mention the funding that was earmarked for toys is pretty much getting earmarked for Mini-me - at least for a while.

Just thought I'd share.
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

CONGRATS!!!

You and I are kind of in the same boat! We are expecting too, but I don't have to put the project on hold yet! ;)

As for the column. Column Saver from CPP will work for you. Basicaly you cut your old column and it is a bearing and end fitting that goes on the column. It will allow you to use a stock column with the CV or any other swap.

http://www.classicperform.com/Instructi ... /CPBCS.pdf
http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/0904c ... oints.html
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Hey congratulations Paul!, nice work another slickster!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
64shortbed

Post by 64shortbed »

Congratulations! Is this your first?
-don
'64 F100 262-I6
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

Yeah - our first!

It's not just the baby putting the brakes on the spending - I'm about to pull the permit to build a new model home (that's what we do), and that's going to take alotta mula!

Fortunately, I've got most of what I need to keep on working - other than time at the moment.
japedo

japedo

Post by japedo »

Rusty 63 wrote:Yeah - our first!

It's not just the baby putting the brakes on the spending - I'm about to pull the permit to build a new model home (that's what we do), and that's going to take alotta mula!

Fortunately, I've got most of what I need to keep on working - other than time at the moment.

Congradulations on the baby! Ive got a 2 1/2 year old and a 8 month old, it's amazing how fun it is to wake up every day to a little one smiling and happy to see you! Kid's are awesome!

THey are funny to, my oldest girl asked me if the rocket ship was done. She was referring to the 66 F100. lol she had just watched a cartoon with a rocket ship and figured that must be waht I am building in the garage. lol

Japedo
Rusty 63
United States of America

Twig & Berries

Post by Rusty 63 »

Had our scan today - it's a boy!

olliesshop
United States of America

Post by olliesshop »

CONGRATULATIONS !!! :D
Tim - 1961 F250 Uni
"Big Red" pictures ... http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Trucks
Current build thread ... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29505
66Bullitt

Post by 66Bullitt »

just finished reading about your build. And its coming along im hoping i can do the same with my mustang/66 swap.

and congrats on the baby boy!

keep up us updated!!
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Congrats on the baby boy! My wife and I are expecting our 2nd baby boy as well! Due on Feb. 3rd, so I have kinda had the plug pulled on extra money too. Good thing I have lots that can be done with little money! Have you thought of a name for the baby yet?

Congrats again!
Phil
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

On our 3rd baby name book! Most of the names she likes belong to some idiot I went to school with who deserved to have his teeth knocked in. Most of the ones I like belong to an idiot she teaches... so unless we find one we both like that doesn't remind us of some jackass we know, we'll have to settle for a least offensive option, or make him the 3rd....

Keep trying to get back in the garage, but lately been short on time too... we're in the process of building a new model home, and working with customers for remodels & new builds, and oh yeah, I'm president of my HOA & also incoming President of the Builder's Assn. Whew.

At least my daydreaming build time has helped me come up with a plan of attack for completing the front end install... if I can just get some garage time... LOL

Actually, the best part is that the heat finally broke, so when I do get some time I won't be melting out there!
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

So I finally got out in the garage yesterday!

Had read a guy's post on Fordification that showed the measurements for how he set up a pair of boards to sit atop & under the frame rails - sandwiching the rails so that the holes all lined up. Sounded like a great way to go, so I had drawn templates up in AutoCad, measured & taped them to the wood, used a center punch to mark the wood, drilled the pilot holes & then started to line them up to mark & drill the frame rails.

Guess what? The dimensions on his front end differ from mine!

My alignment pins are 31.5" tip to tip. His were 32". Nothing lined up!

Here's his diagram:
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu22 ... NSTALL.jpg

I'm reworking mine & will post the files as pdf's so anyone following in my footsteps should )theoretically) be able to print them out & use them.

At least I did get something accomplished. I sliced & diced the CV framerail stubs to get the "tubes" out.

I used a shelf standard as a straight edge and cut the frame rail leaving the metal strip intact:

Now when I drill the upper rail with the hole saw, the tubes will drop right in & I can box from the CV rail slice down to the 63 rails...

Seems like a lot of effort, but they're factory, were essentially "free" since I scrapped the car, and what most folks don't realize is - they're threaded! The top of the factory tubes are threaded, and those big factory bolts run up through the bottom of the CV crossmember, into the tubes & thread into the top of these tubes. The factory cap nuts are just lock nuts. The installation should be stronger for it, I think....

Going to finalize my drawings & redo the wood sandwich & drill the rails this morning.

I also came up with an idea on how I'm going to address the rear control arm mounts. More on that later...
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

nothing wrong with your thinking Paul!, looks good to me!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

Got the drawings, wood patterns & drilling done today. Then broke the hole saw. Doh!

So I went & used the grinder with the twisted wire wheel to clean the front framerails top, bottom, inside & out.

Hit Ace & got a bottle of oshpo & a new holesaw. I'll be back at it tomorrow.

;o)
Rusty 63
United States of America

Measure twice...?

Post by Rusty 63 »

AAAAARRRGH!

The drilling went fine, the CV pieces dropped right in. I slid the CV suspension under & jacked it into position to run the bolts up in & check the fit. And guess what? It didn't!

I had double, triple, quadruple checked every dimension except one - the fore/aft location of the locating pins in relation to the bolt holes. I mean, he couldn't have gotten them wrong...

Maybe not wrong but definitely different than mine.

So now I'm left with a dilemma - do I elongate the pin holes & let the axle centerline slide back 1/2" (still 1/4" forward of stock) - or do I weld up all the donuts I just drilled out, and drill new holes 1/2" further forward?

If you recall from earlier posts, I'd decided to slide the front end 3/4" forward to better center the tires in the wheel wells.

What do you think?

Pics...

Macon ACE

Post by Macon ACE »

Wow. I definitely don't have the skills you do so I can't really give good advice. But I think if it was me, I'd elongate those puppies.

But how badly do you want those wheels centered?

Awesome build!
64 Ford F100 Flareside
68 Ford XL Convertible
87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
94 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
02 Ford Mustang GT
18 Ford F150 XLT