Michelle's 65 Ranger Rebuild

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

Michelle, your build is looking good. It makes me feel bad for neglecting mine for the past few weeks. Keep up the good work and the updates. Red
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I got the chassis painted and have started the rebuild of my engine. I am not really doing a rebuild only freshing up the engine with new gaskets, valve seals, cleaning the combustion chambers and installing new freeze plugs. When I removed the old freeze plugs they looked near perfect on the back side. The engine is very clean inside.

Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

Boy, what a purdy frame! Gives you a boost of energy when things start getting clean and shiny. Nice work so far Michelle.
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
Paranoid!

Post by Paranoid! »

Your doing great!!!
At this rate you will be done in plenty of time for SS.
I thought I was wrong once...
Turned out I was right!!
-----------------------------------------
Russell
quietwyatt

Post by quietwyatt »

Man, You sure aren't wasteing any time. Keep on rollin Chel :thumright:
Wyatt
Wyatt

1965 F-250 (Betty Boop)
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

:shock: OH great Michelle!, your`ve nearly caught up to me already! 8)
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Today marked a major milestone. I got the engine and transmission back in the frame. Tomorrow I will take the wheels to discount tire and have the new tires put on.
Also I have up dated my Ranger page.

http://www.michellesfords.com/RangerPage.html

Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

wow thats purdy. so is that a NP435? I thought I had that in mine but my book doesn't look anything like that one. Granted a boot doesn't tell you much and I'd have to look for a code but still. I guess mine could be a later T18. right and down for reverse. clearly I should look before asking.lol
Last edited by slickmainer on April 20, 2010, 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
Paranoid!

Post by Paranoid! »

Wow!!!
That look's great Michelle......
So are you bringing this to SS?
Turned out I was right!!
Russell
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Paranoid! wrote:Wow!!!
That look's great Michelle......
So are you bringing this to SS?

Yes, as long as the Lord is willing, I will be there.
Michelle

Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I got my white walls today. The hubcaps are from my old 69 Ranger.

Michelle

36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

Looking good Michelle. :D 8)
Tom Williams
semotrucker

Post by semotrucker »

So when do you want me to drop off my lil 66 short for you to restore it? I should have it back in what???couple weeks at the most. LOL Doing a great job on that truck Michelle. Like the Ranger caps on it. Cant wait to see it and your Big Slick at SS.

Cam
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I spent the day yesterday working on my chassis. I installed new shocks all the way around. Removed all the drums to check the brakes and blow out all the brake dust and sand from the sand blasting. Repacked the wheel bearings installed new wheel seals. Installed the alternator, starter, clutch Z bar and universal joints, I got the front drive shaft in and will install the rear shaft today. A couple of days ago I installed the fuel pump. When doing so I noticed that the right fuel pump bolt would not tighten up. It very quickly became obvious that the threads in the front cover was stripped. I already had the pan, water pump and balancer on, I was not too thrilled about removing all of that and buying new gaskets just to get it off so I could install a helicoil or replace the front cover. So plan B went into effect. The two bolts that hold the pump on are 3/8, I took a 7/16 tap and tapped out the hole and then took a 7/16 bottom tap and finished the job. Drilled out the right side hole in the fuel pump with a 7/16 drill and installed the fuel pump with one 3/8 bolt and one 7/16 bolt. It works and saved a lot of time. Sorry no pictures today.
Michelle

Paranoid!

Post by Paranoid! »

No pics today??
Awwww...... :(
Enjoying your build Michelle... :D
Turned out I was right!!
Russell
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I have finally got started on the bottom of the cab. I tilted it back on its back side and started the replacement of the cab crossmember ends. I also have some front cab mounts coming, they sould be here next week.

The bottom of the cab is pretty rust free except for the cab crossmember ends and the front cab mounts. I am going to sand blast it this evening.

The gray paint on the fender is POR 15, You can paint it over scaly rust and it will stop it in its tracks. I however don't like to do that so I sand blast it first where I can. I used it in the front recesses of the fenders where it gets accumulations of dirt from driving. It is water thin and you can brush it in hard to get places and then turn the fender up and it will gravity feed down in the cracks and crevices that you can't reach with a brush. It amounts to some cheap but good insurance.
Michelle

64shortbed

Post by 64shortbed »

I love to read your posts. I always receive a great education!
-don
'64 F100 262-I6
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Michelle wrote:I have finally got started on the bottom of the cab. I tilted it back on its back side and started the replacement of the cab crossmember ends. I also have some front cab mounts coming, they sould be here next week.

The bottom of the cab is pretty rust free except for the cab crossmember ends and the front cab mounts. I am going to sand blast it this evening.
The crossmember ends look like a good place for weep holes. Thanks for the progress reports. I have learned a lot watching your build.

The gray paint on the fender is POR 15, You can paint it over scaly rust and it will stop it in its tracks. I however don't like to do that so I sand blast it first where I can. I used it in the front recesses of the fenders where it gets accumulations of dirt from driving. It is water thin and you can brush it in hard to get places and then turn the fender up and it will gravity feed down in the cracks and crevices that you can't reach with a brush. It amounts to some cheap but good insurance.
Jim
flyingv

Post by flyingv »

Michelle, what paint, or coating did you use to paint your frame? I bought some POR15 chassis paint, with the marine clean, and metal prep, to paint mine with, but was wondering what other people use.
Thanks
Ken
Paranoid!

Post by Paranoid! »

I think I found a new favorite build too watch.... :D
Keep'em coming Michelle.... :popcorn:
Turned out I was right!!
Russell