Michelle's 65 Ranger Rebuild

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

i bought some Rust Bullet samples a while back, im going try it out on a few areas to see how it works...in about 4 weeks if Im highly productive
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

flyingv wrote:Michelle, what paint, or coating did you use to paint your frame? I bought some POR15 chassis paint, with the marine clean, and metal prep, to paint mine with, but was wondering what other people use.
Thanks
Ken

I used black Rustoleum that I bought at the feed store. I used the same paint on my N series Ford and I have found it to be very durible and since it does not breath it will contain any rust that you over look. It is also cheaper that what you can buy at the auto supply.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Found this interesting tidbit while sand blasting. One more Ranger secret unlocked.

Last edited by Michelle on April 25, 2010, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Michelle wrote:Found this interesting tidbit whild sand blasting. One more Ranger secret unlocked.

Ford sacked that guy!, for writing his initials on everything!. Xavier Lewis, now works for a T shirt company!, XL :P
Nice progress Michell! :)
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
quietwyatt

Post by quietwyatt »

It would have been a bigger shocker if there was a 100 behind it :shock:
Wyatt
Wyatt

1965 F-250 (Betty Boop)
weezle

Post by weezle »

Michelle, I'm in awe with the work you're doing to this truck. I'm really enjoying following your progress. Keep up the great work!!! 8)
Matt

1966 F-100 352 3-speed
2003 F-150 FX4 5.4L Auto
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

quietwyatt wrote:It would have been a bigger shocker if there was a 100 behind it :shock:
Wyatt
I was pretty shocked just to find the XL written on it. When I cleaned the drive shafts they still had the part numbers stencled on them in yellow letters. I have also found where inspectors have written their numbers in various places.
Michelle

flyingv

Post by flyingv »

I used black Rustoleum that I bought at the feed store. I used the same paint on my N series Ford and I have found it to be very durible and since it does not breath it will contain any rust that you over look. It is also cheaper that what you can buy at the auto supply.

Thanks Michelle. I may try the rustoleum. Seems it would be a little more simple than the 3 part POR15.
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I am still on track with the rebuild and should be ready for Slick Stock. I work on the body a little and then back to the chassis.

The right cab mount is off and the new one is ready to install

My engine is all back together, along with the alternator and most attaching parts. I rebuilt the carburator and added new points, condinser, rotor, and new wires.

My new exhaust system is in.

My rust free fifty dollar core support is painted and installed. Good old rust free Texas sheet metal.

Last edited by Michelle on May 4, 2010, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michelle

slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

looks sweet! New wiring in the future?
--Gregg--
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

Where do you keep the ooompa loompas when you don't have them crawling all over your slick Michelle? Very nice work so far!
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Hey Michelle,
Great work. Wish I could still do that.
If you don't mind, what kind of mufflers are you using? Also what inlet and outlet size? My truck came standard with junk mufflers. I need to swap them out for somthing quieter. :lol:
I am keeping track of everything to do with your restoration.
Thanks,
Jim
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

That is going to be a very pretty truck Michelle.
You still thinking Turquoise & White?
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

jakdad wrote:Hey Michelle,
Great work. Wish I could still do that.
If you don't mind, what kind of mufflers are you using? Also what inlet and outlet size? My truck came standard with junk mufflers. I need to swap them out for somthing quieter. :lol:
I am keeping track of everything to do with your restoration.
Thanks,

I ordered the exhaust system from LMC, you can get it with glasspacks or turbo mufflers, I opted for the turbo mufflers. They are 2 1/4 all the way from front to rear.
Greg D wrote:That is going to be a very pretty truck Michelle.
You still thinking Turquoise & White?

Greg, I am still toying with the turquoise and white. I had the Mustang people send me a sample of the 66 turquoise seats and they are near perfect match for the Caribbean turquoise on the big truck, I still have to get the right interior paint and carpet match before I will commit to it.
Michelle

jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Thanks for your reply. I'll look into LMC Exhaust.
Jim
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I got the cab back on, well at least for a short time anyway. As I am sure most of you know the replacement cab mounts do not come pre drilled for the mounting bolts and for good reason. If the cab was tweaked ever so little or you got the cab mount off by even as little as a three eights of an inch you could have some serious problems getting all four cab mounts to line up. With my cab mounts installed I placed the cab on the frame rail cab mounts and centered it up as close as possible. I then marked my cab mounts through the bottom of the frame mounted cab mounts, so the hole would be precise. I then removed the cab again and drilled the holes and primed the bottom of the cab.

I painted the inside of the cab mounts with POR 15 before welding them on.
Michelle

jakdad

Post by jakdad »

And that is precisely the way to do it!!!
Jim
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

i love seeing these. I'd love to see a time elapsed video of this build. you need a webcam in the garage lol.
--Gregg--
Santi

Post by Santi »

Great build Michelle.. I just found out I need a new driver side cab mount. Did you purchase yours from DC or another source? They are 85 bucks from DC, just wondering if you found them cheaper.

I don't know if you mentioned where you got them so sorry if I missed that part. Again, very nice job on what you are doing. Thanks.
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

santi2322 wrote:Great build Michelle.. I just found out I need a new driver side cab mount. Did you purchase yours from DC or another source? They are 85 bucks from DC, just wondering if you found them cheaper.

I don't know if you mentioned where you got them so sorry if I missed that part. Again, very nice job on what you are doing. Thanks.

I bought mine from Tom. He has good quality stuff and I think his was about the same price too.
Michelle