PVC valve question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ClanCassidy

PVC valve question

Post by ClanCassidy »

Hi,

Just bought a new PVC valve (1970 302 engine). Should the internal poppet be loose ? When I turn the valve over, the poppet opens a little bit. I can push on it and it opens further. Seems like the poppet should have some positive spring force holding it closed in the free state. Then again, I never really looked at one of these things before so I don't know.

Does this part sound ok ?

Thanks.

John.
"Honest Honey, this should be the last thing I need to buy for the truck".
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

I beleive it should be loose ,So if you shook it , it would rattle. It shouldn't be positive spring force . Sounds OK. Tom
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

it supposed to rattle.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

If it's clean, blow through the bottom but you won't be able to blow through the top :?
Mark

bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

it is supposed to do that. use the highest flowing one you can get away with...
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

If it doesn't rattle, then you have a problem.

Rich
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

This brings up a question for me, as I seem to get pressure building up in my 351w's crankcase and blowing oil out.

The PCV valve, (brand new) is on the oil filler cap on the drivers side bank valve cover. It draws directly into the carb base. The return hose is from the air cleaner to the passenger's valve cover. When the engine is running you can HEAR the PCV buzzing, as it opens and closes in rapid succession.

Is this setup wrong? or why am I getting this crankcase pressure buildup, with a new and obviously functioning PCV?
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Johnny Canuck wrote:This brings up a question for me, as I seem to get pressure building up in my 351w's crankcase and blowing oil out.

The PCV valve, (brand new) is on the oil filler cap on the drivers side bank valve cover. It draws directly into the carb base. The return hose is from the air cleaner to the passenger's valve cover. When the engine is running you can HEAR the PCV buzzing, as it opens and closes in rapid succession.

Is this setup wrong? or why am I getting this crankcase pressure buildup, with a new and obviously functioning PCV?

Is the engine a high mileage engine by chance? I had a 352 that did that & continually got worse. I decided the compression rings were worn out & weren't sealing very well any more. If I took the breather cap off with the engine running, I could actually feel air blowing against my hand, as I held my hand over the hole.

Also, sometimes a PCV can still rattle, but not flow as well as new any more.
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I had a head off it last year, as it blew a gasket. It's .030 over and doesn't even have much of a ridge on the top of the piston travel, you can barely catch a fingernail on it. I would say less than 10,000 miles since rebored.
So, I doubt that is the problem. 150-160 lbs compression. I think the PCV system may be hooked up backwards... just my guess. Not sure.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

JC, try it without the return hose and see if it changes anything.
none of our trucks here have a return hose, and im not quite sure why you would need it?
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton