WA, OR, CA, NV, UT, MT, ID, WY, AK, BC, AB, SASK, YK, NWT

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

The Big M
Canada

Paging Utah members: Crusher alert!

Post by The Big M »

I just ran across this thread on the HAMB:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/show ... p?t=164220

Apparently a wrecking yard near Salt Lake City is getting forced out of business, and the crusher is moving in on March 1st. Sounds like it has a good selection of 40's, 50's and 60's stuff. Anyone in the area might want to check it out to see if there are any Slicks...
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Thanks for the heads-up! Now I need to see if I can weasel out of working this Saturday, to go check the place out! :D

This comes at a really bad time for me, my yard is really maxed out as far as dead car storage. :( If I find something there, I'll have to try come "creative storage" ideas. :lol:

*EDIT* I tried the phone number & got no answer... :(
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
a2z64

Post by a2z64 »

I'm going to be in Utah next week for business. I wonder if I can fit a slick into my carryon bag?

Slick Fan, please post if you get a chance to check it out.
Alan
Low 64 F100
49 F1
51 Studebaker Champion
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

a2z64 wrote:
Slick Fan, please post if you get a chance to check it out.

I will & I'll pack my camera too. :D

The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

I wish I had some more dead-car storage too...

Grantsville is only 1000 miles away! :lol:
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

My dad and his friend are actually considering grabbing both their trailers and driving down there just to see what he has.

So far we can't get through on the phone though.
FORDMANLCRACKEL
United States of America

Post by FORDMANLCRACKEL »

Man that sucks big time. :cussing:

Lonnie
The most rewarding job i ever had was being a dad.
1988 Ranger Build http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... %20RANGER/
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Geez, today we're being pounded by a big snowstorm. I hope the sun comes out tomorrow & melts half of it, or it'll just look like a yard full of lumps! :D

ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Slick Fan wrote:Geez, today we're being pounded by a big snowstorm. I hope the sun comes out tomorrow & melts half of it, or it'll just look like a yard full of lumps! :D

making fun of my yard again i see.:lol:
i need to get out and clean off the lumps but its -30 this morning.rather have the snow.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

if anyone does go up there, lemme know? The guy won't answer his phone and we're having a hard time of it.
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Ok folks, I snuck out the back door at work today to check this place out & here's my report.

It's a small operation on the south end of a dead-end street, in small town Utah. There's no office, just a house. It looks like the house was built, then the cars started collecting in the back yard & all around...hmmm...sounds somewhat like my house. :shock: :lol:

I talked with the owner (Mr. McBride) for a short while. He is pretty bitter about this whole thing & understandably so. He's got over 100K in attorneys fees to pay back soon, from this whole mess. He did seem pretty receptive when I asked if he minded me spreading the word, to try & save some of the cars. It's really gonna be a sad deal if a lot of those cars get crushed, from a gearhead's perspective, so please share this info with others.
The subject of not being able to get through on the phone came up, for which I didn't really get an answer...I assume he just doesn't want to talk on the phone all day. He's in his 60's & is accustomed to small town life, so I can sorta see why.

He said he's got a crusher coming in thursday March 1st. He's going to try to only let go of cars down to 1980, he said. He's got a 3 week deadline to try & get rid of most of the rest of his stuff.
Apparently the boneyard is co-owned between him & his cousin, the yard is split 50/50, from what I gathered. His cousin has sold his half to Ivory homes & has no problem crushing everything on his side, if it comes to that.

Mr. McBride was told that most of the cars crushed in America these days are being exported to China...he didn't like that news one little bit. He said this country is going straight down the toilet in many ways...I'm with him in this regard. :(

What is there? Well, lots Fords & GM's, mostly from the 70's on down. There's also a bunch of 50's cars from the big three...there's quite a few Studebakers (a guy from Vegas drove a rollback there & was dragging one off), a few Hudsons (a really clean '51/52 Commodore body), Nash's, a Kaiser Frasier, etc.
There's a few 40's cars there too that I couldn't identify.

There's maybe 9 or 10 slicks, in varying condition & a 4-door bumpside shortbed. :)

The owner isn't very heavy into Mopars, which kinda sucks, because I was hoping to score some Charger stuff...not a Charger in sight. However, there is a '69 318 Coronet 2-door there (with no doors on it) & PERFECT floors (at least the driver's side)! :shock: How does that happen, that's practically unheard of in Mopar circles! There's no trunk lid & it didn't look like the trunk floor was gone yet either, I couldn't tell for sure because of all the crap thrown in. Strange. :?

I took a few pics today...but in customary Slick Fan fashion, I forgot to bring fresh batteries! :x I was pressed for time anyway, I suppose...it was a 90 mile round trip.
I will post those pics when I get home tonight. :thumright:

ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

thanks a lot for the info, I'll pass it on to my dad.

He's very heavily into 58 chevys, 56 fords, just about any impala up to about 62.

You didnt happen to notice anything along those lines did you?
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Definitely no 56 ford trucks. If I remember right, there was a 56 sedan delivery wagon...like a Victoria, but the wagon style. The stinkin' camera batteries died at that very car, too! :x
I don't recall too many Impala's, but I wasn't really looking for those. There was a LOT of varying vehicles there.

Here's a link to my pics; http://slick-fan.onfinite.com/album/1117827/

This was the cleanest slick there, a ding in the bed/cab corner was it's worst owie.
Looks like it drove in there last month, just before someone snatched the steering wheel from it. :(

This was the only thing I walked away from there with, I gave him $5 for it. :mrgreen:

I was really rushed for time today & didn't get a chance to look too closely at most of the stuff I took pics of. Next week is busy for me too, but I hope to be able to go back & snag a few more goodies.

Paul Merrell

Post by Paul Merrell »

What make is that last car it looks mean :!: And did I see a Christine I can see why the city won't to close it down so they can devlop it :!: So all the goodie goodie people in this world can have a great view of the mountains. Someone needs to get some trucknuts in that town to bad the old man didn't win.
"Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life - For better...or for worse." 1965 F250 4wheeldrive 390/4speed/dana 60 rear 3.73/dana 44/PB
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Paul Merrell wrote:What make is that last car it looks mean :!:

'58 Dodge Coronet...and yes, it does look mean! I think it's just pissed that it's stuck there. :lol:
The Christine car is one year older, a '57. But it could easily have '58 stuff swapped onto it, I'm sure.

Yeah, the goodie goodie's mountain views are nice, but the dumb part is that there's hundreds of acres of undeveloped room elsewhere in that town that they could build on. The only reason I can see why they'd need Mr. McBride's land is that "Center street" dead ends at his boneyard. I bet if he was 4 streets over on either side, there would be no problem.
They just have a hard on for this spot.

ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

heh I should have specified. I meant 56 ford cars, not trucks.

So how is he on prices? Is he still trying to get top dollar out of everything? how much did he want for that slick? (not wanting to buy it, just wondering what he's like on prices.) no sense driving all the way across the country if he wants 10 grand for something that we can find right here.
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

That's a good point, I didn't get to talk prices much at all & he didn't have time to wander back there with me. I only found him at the end as I was leaving & had to wait my turn after another guy ahead of me, we got interruped a lot. The guy from Vegas who loaded up a Studebaker, sounded like he got a good deal, but I didn't ask the sale price.

I'm sure he's open to lowball offers, but I could also sense the "you want it, I've got it" mentality in him, where nothing's cheap. However, he is over a barrel, so he has GOT to open to offers. I'm thinking whatever the crusher value is + $20 or 50 would be reasonable.

I'll try that phone number again & see if I can get through to get an answer on that. Sorry, I should have pressed the issue more when I was there.
If anyone else gets through, please post your findings. :)

ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

I spotted several rigs I'd be interested in, but I'm not the one with the trailer heh.

It is a bit of a hard situation. He won't answer the phone, so no way to find out if he has anything we would be interested in, and its a long long way to drive just to find out he doesnt have anything, or is overpriced.

If you happen to get back up there, if you notice any 58 chevys, 56 fords, 61 bubbletops (chevys) or anything along those lines, take a few pictures? (all cars)

Thanks for posting for the rest of us.
adrianspeeder
United States of America

Post by adrianspeeder »

Just needs some endangered turtles or something to be "found" and keep the idiots out.

Adrianspeeder
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

that whole story is rather sad.
wish the city folks and developers would leave the collectors and bone yard owners alone.
we see more and more of that happening, its starting up here too, thought we left that behind when we moved here but apparently not.all those houses they will build will likely be so close together you can see inside the one next door.gives me clostrophobia just thinking about it.we have to be way up on the top of our roof to even see another house.we plan to keep it that way even if it means going farther out in the woods to the north or west.

keep the zoning in the big city,and leave the rest of us alone.
enough before i offend somebody with my attitude.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton