New guy here

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

gearhead21

New guy here

Post by gearhead21 »

Hi all, I just got a 65 F100, and found this forum. The first thing I did was to read all the posts here. It seems like there are a lot of people here with a lot of knowledge on these trucks. I am going to need a lot of this knowledge to help get this truck in shape.

My truck is in pretty good shape, very little rust which is what I was looking for. It has an FE motor with a 68 date code, but I haven't really got into it to figure out what it is, but it runs great. It is a 3 speed. It is a custom cab shortbed, just what I was looking for. The main problem with it is that the interior was gutted. The only switches in it are the wipers (that don't work), and the heater switch (which does, but doesn't pull out). The ignition is a toggle switch, and a button to start it. The air vents were stuffed with insulation, and had speakers in them. It had some unknown bucket seats just bolted to the floor.

I have been looking for pictures to find out which switches go where, on the dash. Pictures I have seen show many different setups that all looked stock. I have also seen many different heater and airvent setups. I guess there were many different options there.

First thing I did was pull out the bucket seats. I found a junk yard that has 3 64-66 F100's and found a bench seat in great shape, and it had the air vent covers with a knob on tham, so I got those too. One of the trucks had a bench seat with a split back like a car seat. Was this a truck seat? How many different ventalation types were there?

I know that I will have many more questions as I go along, and don't want to ask too many per post so I'll shut up now.
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

Hi Gearhead, welcome to the club. Lots of members in the Texas/Oklahoma area.
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
Slick Fan

Re: New guy here

Post by Slick Fan »

Welcome aboard! :hello:

gearhead21 wrote:The main problem with it is that the interior was gutted. The only switches in it are the wipers (that don't work), and the heater switch (which does, but doesn't pull out). The ignition is a toggle switch, and a button to start it. The air vents were stuffed with insulation, and had speakers in them. It had some unknown bucket seats just bolted to the floor.

WOW! :shock: That sounds like a good one for the "weird things from prebious owners" thread. :lol:

gearhead21 wrote:One of the trucks had a bench seat with a split back like a car seat. Was this a truck seat?

Sounds like a seat from a later Bronco, Super cab truck, or maybe a car. Definitely not a Slick.

gearhead21 wrote:How many different ventalation types were there?

I've only seen one type on '65 F100's. Are you talking about the little doors that mount in the kick panels, or the heater system vents?
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

The trucks that got the "Deluxe" heater option did not have the pull vent on the passenger's side, There's a sleeve that goes from the heater to the vent opening, no room for the cable and handle.

Welcome to the club!!
:cheers:
You DO know that if you are from Texas, you are not supposed to come to the club's big gathering "Slickstock" every 2 years, unless you are from Corpus Christi.... Those Corpus guys are just Rebels. :lol:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
douglloyd

Post by douglloyd »

Welcome aboard!

With your '65 you probably have twin Ibeam front suspension. There are articles on how to upgrade your front drums brakes to discs, with parts from a 70's F100.

You've definitely tapped a fount of Slick wisdom here. We may not always agree but the answers to your questions are within these hallowed pages.

Doug
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

Welcome to the club gearhead! Yep, you came to the right place to find out anything on our beloved trucks. Raise your right hand.......ok your swore in now.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
FORDMANLCRACKEL
United States of America

Post by FORDMANLCRACKEL »

:welcome: :hello:

Lonnie
The most rewarding job i ever had was being a dad.
1988 Ranger Build http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... %20RANGER/
Rustbucket

Post by Rustbucket »

Welcome gearhead ,You`ll find these guys in our club very helpfull with your truck. You will enjoy being a part of it. Rustbucket
1965 F-100 Shortbed 351W.
1969 F-250 Camper Special
1984 Mustang Convertible
1949 8N Tractor
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Welcome!
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

welcome to slick 60s
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Gearhead, welcome to the club. I have a unmolested '65 I can take photos of for you if no one else can help. I'm having some PC problems right now and can't upload images but it should be fixed in a few days. Send me a PM or email if you'd like me to get some shots for you.

Bench seat with no frills was the only option on seats except for the very rare Ranger package with Mustang type buckets and a center console.
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

Hi, Gearhead. I'm about an hour and a half south of you. Welcome to the club!
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
gearhead21

Post by gearhead21 »

Thanks a lot for the welcome! I'm not sure how to do the quote thing yet so bear with me.

Slickfan, speaking about the "wierd things from previous owners", I just found yesterday that all of the nuts from the cab mounts were removed, and the lagre flat washers are bent up. It looks like he was going to pull the cab, but just gave up. I was talking about the kick panel air vents. I didn't know if there was an optional cable operated one, or just the knob on door ones. I also found that on the ones I got from a 66, the screw holes don't line up and I will have to drill new ones.

Johnny Canuck, The heater I have draws air from the cowl just above the air vent. I understand there were a couple different heater options. Also, on the heater box there is a handle for changing from heat to defrost. Should this be cable operated, or do you just turn the handle?

DV65CustomCab, I wuold be very interested in having pictures of the dash, and the kick panels. I will sent you an email. Thanks.

Sorry for all the dumb questions. Not much of this truck follows what I have in my 58 Fairlane 500, or 62 Galaxie. I did order a set of service manuals, body assembly manual, and wiring manual. When they get here it should help. Wow, they just came as I was typing this. Off to do some reading!!
Mr. D

Post by Mr. D »

Hi gearhead, welcome to the club. The people on this site know a lot of information :D They have helped me with many of my questions.
keep the rubber side down
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Hey man, welcome. I have an original bench seat with the logo still in the upholstery...... but I'm in Houston. Ask Mike Carson, I'll make you a deal you can't refuse if you can use it.
You might have do drive a bit to pick it up. :)
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

The lever to divert the flow from the floor to the windshiled vents is cable operated. At least in my truck. The "fresh air" heater sounds like what you got. I have heard it was an option, but I think it was standard in some parts of the country. At least my truck was NOT ordered with it -- only option dad got was a radio.

My truck is under wraps. I don't have any close up pics of the dahs knobs etc.

You'll need awiring diagram all right.

Do the lights work? dash lights? Idiot lights? Guages? You could be in for a real PITA, depending how much the orignal wiring harness is messed up.

Good news however is that the combined wiring experience here is pretty complete. At least one of us has monkeyed with just about every inch of wire in these trucks.

I had my harness partially out of the truck during the restore -- carefully soldered and shrink tubed all damaged spots and then re-wrapped it all with new tape.

Oh -- welcome to slick world!!

Consider yourself invited to KC for SlickStock 08 as well, if you can stand the cold weather. Its almost warm enough for a Texan in August here, so you'll be OK!
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
gearhead21

Post by gearhead21 »

Uncle Skip, Thanks for the offer but I did find a bench seat in a local junk yard that is in very good condition. The only thing wrong with it is that it is turqoise.

cdherman, The lights and all seem to be intact. The main problem is the ingition switch is gone, along with the connector, and the wires split up to run with a toggle switch and a starter button. Some of the dash bulbs and sockets are hanging loose so I will have to track down where they go. I guess I'll have to go back to the yard and get the ignition switch wiring connector and splice in the wires.

I did just get the full set of service manuals today and it seems like they are 95% for the big trucks. I was a little dissapointed in that.
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

You get the wiring diagram as well?

I agree, the first time through the shop manual, I was disappointed. But there is a lot of information in there. Wiring is not a strong point of the shop manual.

The wiring diagrams that I have (LMC or some sort of place) are a little tricky too. But the info is in there.

Agreed -- you will need the pigtail that attaches to the switch, in order to go back to a key operated setup. The actual starter swtich etc is not hard to come by. And splicing it back it will be no problem, once you have the right parts.

Does the truck drive run as it is now? You could pick up a set of tumblers for the doors and ignition switch off ebay (look for a 65 Mustang, they are the same), put in the door parts so you can lock the truck, and just leave the jury rigged ignition alone till you have the parts all together to fix it right.

Just tryin' to be hepfuh.....
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

Welcome to the site gearhead. Great bunch of folks here, give a shout if you get up to the South Plains, I have a bench seat setting in my garage.