Grandpa's 64 f-100

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64shortbed

Grandpa's 64 f-100

Post by 64shortbed »

I discovered this website while reading an article about a '65 or '66 in an issue of Classic Truck. I've been tooling around the site for a few weeks and caught the bug, so I decided to join in the fun. After years of offering to take it off of his hands, my grandpa called me on Father's Day in 2003 to tell me he wanted to sell me his truck. I couldn't get over to his house fast enough! He had owned it for as long as I can remember. My cousins and I used to play in it when we were kids. My grandpa loved this truck, as evidenced by the fact that the mechanicals are mostly sound and the body panels are nearly perfect. If it weren't for rust surfacing in the seems and around the cab, I might have just skipped body work and paint altogether. The engine is a 262 I6 that has about 20k and 25 years on an overhaul (performed by grandpa) and it is backed up by a T98 four speed. I have been tinkering around on it since it became mine, but finally saved enough money to begin some bigger projects.

My oldest son and I have been tearing the truck down the last few weeks and today we loaded the truck on a trailer and took 'er to the body shop.
Now we have a lot of clean up work to do while it's gone.

Image[/img][/url]
[/img]Image
-don
'64 F100 262-I6
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

:D Welcome Don!, nice truck your`ve got there, and it looks like the kids like it too! :hm: one thing tho!, it looks like the bonnet badge was on up side down for some time!, must be an Australian one! :lol:
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
64shortbed

Post by 64shortbed »

Funny you should notice. I never realized it was on upside down until I was taking it off! I'm not sure why it was put on like that. Mabey grandpa thought it looked better that way!
[/img]Image
-don
'64 F100 262-I6
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

8) Maybe you should put it back how Grandpa liked it!, be a great talking point!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

:welcome: from Michigan Good looking truck you have. The pic of the kids is classic.
Tom Williams
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

wave.gif Welcome from West Virginia!!!! Nice clean looking '64 you have Don. I love the pic of the kids hanging out of it... :lol: :lol: Welcome to the club!!!!!!!
BarnieTrk

Re: Grandpa's 64 f-100

Post by BarnieTrk »

64shortbed wrote:I discovered this website while reading an article about a '65 or '66 in an issue of Classic Truck.

My grandpa loved this truck, as evidenced by the fact that the mechanicals are mostly sound and the body panels are nearly perfect.

The engine is a 262 I6 that has about 20k and 25 years on an overhaul (performed by grandpa) and it is backed up by a T98 four speed.
WELCOME TO THE FOLD, DON!

WOW - you've got one fine-looking & I'd say kinda rare Slick!

You do realize that the 262-I6 was a ONE YEAR ONLY engine?
And '64 was the LAST YEAR the T-98 4-speed was available in any Slick?

Do you intend to keep it white or are you thinking of changing the color?
(I'd vote to keep it white...)

If you don't mind, post the information stamped on its Warranty Data Plate, which is located on the driver's door edge, then we can decode it and determine the 'as bought' information and the trucks 'birth month/year' for you!

Warranty Number
WB
Color
Model
Body
Trans
Axle
GVW
NET HP
RPM
DSO

BarnieTrk 8)
Mellvis

Post by Mellvis »

There is nothing cooler than having Grandad's old truck! Got mine from Grandad and have LOT'S of memories riding around in it with him. No mater what the cost, it's worth it.
1965 F100 "Papaw's Pride"

"So I'm working on a cistern inlet valve and the guy hands me a lock nut wrench! I was like 'What is this, a drainpipe slipknot!'" -Flo
quietwyatt

Post by quietwyatt »

Welcome from Pa. That's a real nice looking truck. Nice looking family too. They are going to love that truck when you get it finished. Keep us updated with step by step pics if you can. They crowd on here love pics.
Well, at least I do.
Welcome.
Wyatt
Wyatt

1965 F-250 (Betty Boop)
64shortbed

Re: Grandpa's 64 f-100

Post by 64shortbed »

[quote="BarnieTrk

You do realize that the 262-I6 was a ONE YEAR ONLY engine?
And '64 was the LAST YEAR the T-98 4-speed was available in any Slick?

Do you intend to keep it white or are you thinking of changing the color?
(I'd vote to keep it white...)

BarnieTrk 8)[/quote]

My grandpa knew the original owner of the truck as they both lived in a small town in the California Central Valley. The original owner ordered it from a dealer in Southern California and used it to tow his horse trailer. My grandpa purchased the truck in the very early seventies. I've decoded the VIN using my shop manual. It is a very early '64 model built around August of '63 (I can't remember the exact date and the truck is not currently here). I enjoy going to NAPA or Car Quest and telling them I need a part for a 262 I6; the look on their faces is priceless! I've learned that the 262 was primarily a commercial engine and wasn't offered in the smaller f-series until '63 &/or '64. I'm always interested in any information about the 262.
I am having it painted the original Wimbleton(sp) White. The interior was originaly the brown "saddle" color, but my grandpa upholstered it in dark blue in the late '80s (he used to do upholstry as side work). He did the seat, door panels and door pocket. I'm sure I have a better picture somewhere, but this is the only one I have in photo bucket. I'm preserving his work on the upholstry and having the dash two-toned white and dark blue, as well as placing blue carpet to match.
-don
'64 F100 262-I6
Brians1966
United States of America

Post by Brians1966 »

:welcome: From Missouri
Good looking slick you got- :thumright: Awesome looking restore crew also.
Alan Jackson could have not summed it up better in the song Drive- The memories you will have from both your grandpa and your children will be priceless.
Good luck and enjoy
1966 F-100 LONG BED, 240cid 3 speed red and white, Red and White Interior with a Mossy Oak Seat Cover
2013 Ford F150 STX Supercab 5.0 litre

DETERMINATION: The feeling you get right before you try to do something incredibly stupid!

CONFIDENCE: Is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation!
64shortbed

Post by 64shortbed »

This week has been too busy to do much to the truck. I have been soaking the hitch and receiver with penetrating oil as it is rusted in place and has no intention of coming out easily.
I purchased some new mirror heads for my mirrors. I had considered buying stock mirrors but decided that since the holes were already in the doors.... :roll: I've dismantled them and unfroze the rusty bolts. I'll clean and paint the curved bolt that connects the frame to the mirror and replace the nuts. Any good tips on shining up crome? I've not seen mirrors like these since I have been paying attention to mirrors (not very long).
I dimantled the driver side wind-wing and primered the metal frame tonight. I have new weather seals for these too. :roll: :roll:
-don
'64 F100 262-I6
64shortbed

Post by 64shortbed »

I stopped by the body shop today while on my lunch hour. I pulled the headliner so the guys can check for and treat any rust in that area. I found the reason why the headliner has been kind of lumpy. I seems that grandpa had insulated with some foam but didn't glue it down. I'm going to try dampen the headliner and attempt to flatten out those spots.
I snapped a few pictures of the progress Nick and Tom have made on preping the truck. It was exciting to see the project progressing through this stage. If my son and I do one of these for his first truck, I'd like for us to learn to do the bodywork ourselves.
Here is the data plate on the driver's door. It didn't turn out well bnut I'll try again when I get it back home.
-don
'64 F100 262-I6
64shortbed

Post by 64shortbed »

:oops: Meant to hit preview. Here is the other picture I intended to post.
-don
'64 F100 262-I6
hotrodz&banjos

Post by hotrodz&banjos »

thats a good lookin truck, take your time and enjoy the build. when its said and done, thats the part you and your son will look back on with fond memories.
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

i admire anyone who can do quality body work...which isn't me :cry:
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
64shortbed

Post by 64shortbed »

The body shop is nearly finished with our truck. They started painting this afternoon. After they finish, the new front windshield will go in as will the original back window. I was going to do it myself, but they quoted me a price that would be the same to buy the front windshield and have it shipped to my home.
I disassembled the wind wings, repainted the frames, and installed new rubber. I am really looking forward to the first drive with new weatherstrip! I took the 'ol truck through a car wash once a few years back :oops: . I was all over the cab with a towel trying to stop the streams of water shooting through gaps in the worn out rubber!
I'm currently working on the grill. It is pitted from years on the road, but is shining up nicely. I plan to repaint the black portions; someone repainted it for grandpa along the way but didn't mask it off very well :x . I have new turn signal lenses on the the way.

-don
'64 F100 262-I6
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

looking good! are you going with carpet or a rubber mat
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I bet your grand paw is glad he sold you the truck. You are doing both he and the truck justice by restoring it. It is really looking good.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
deviant1

Post by deviant1 »

I love the way you are keeping this truck mostly original but the way grandpa would have liked it. It will be something that I hope will stay in your family for many years. Keep up the progress.
61 f100 shortbed unibody