toolbox rubber needed

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

toolbox rubber needed

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

has anybody ever seen a reproduction rubber seal for the toolbox that is built into the truck bed on the passenger side. I have looked at all the usual suppliers and can't seem to find anything. I suppose I could make one out of a big piece of rubber. Any suggestions?
Mark

jakdad

Post by jakdad »

I know you can buy the foam rubber sealing material with adheasive on one side. Hardware stores and building centers have stuff like this in the A.C. stuff. It comes on a roll in different widths. If you find this, look around in the same area for somthing more to your liking.
Jim
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i was thinking about cutting a piece off the cheap taiwan door rubber that does not work on the doors right to use on the toolbox, have not checked to see how it would fit, just an idea i had.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
64Ranger

Post by 64Ranger »

I looked all over the web and at local apholstery shops and could not find the original style rubber. I settled for an adhesive backed type that would make the bends without bunching up. You can look in my album for what it looks likd
Doug
Riverside, CA
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

I'd call that a done deal!!!!!!
Jim
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

gotta say that doesnt look bad at all. I expected it to be some of that camper tape for the bedrails, and look like crap, but that looks pretty darn good.
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

ripsnorter wrote:gotta say that doesnt look bad at all. I expected it to be some of that camper tape for the bedrails, and look like crap, but that looks pretty darn good.

Image Looks very nice! :thumright:
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

Real nice Doug!
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
64Ranger

Post by 64Ranger »

Thanks for the kind words guys. It took me along time to finally decide on that type of sealing material. I desperately tried to use the stock metal pieces and screw with an after market rubber, but it just would not handle the curvature of the seal area. I did find a near perfect match to the cross section of original sealing material, but it was about twice the size. I might try to contact the manufacturer to see if they make it in a smaller size.
Thanks again,
Doug
Riverside, CA
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

you should make a post in the hints and tricks forum if you can find a part number/manufacturer for the stuff you used. It looks darned good and I think a lot of people would like to use it.
64Ranger

Post by 64Ranger »

It comes on a big roll and I got it from a local upholstery supply house. They just cut what ever length you want. If anyone wants some, I would be glad to get it for you. I will check with them to see who the manufacturer is and the part number.
Doug
Riverside, CA