Power brake m/c fittament

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jeremyfx4

Power brake m/c fittament

Post by jeremyfx4 »

Here is what I've got fellas, my 65 has the factory power brake booster option but only has the single pot master cylinder and I just finished putting disc on the front. My question is what dual pot master cylinder will bolt to my brake booster. Should I buy a 78 or so m/c. Also if I have to do any shortening of the rods how do I get them out of the booster to do so?
65' Original 4x4 F-100 and 65' 2wd F-100
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

i dont know about the factory booster, all ive seen used is the 70s version
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Power Vacuum assist brakes were not available in 65 from the factory. It was added after purchase.

You will need to ascertain just which booster is installed IE Bendix, Airheart ect. Any boosted master from a later year will work based on bore and volume for drum drum brakes. select the year you need based on the outputs to the inside or outside.

Typical rods in the boosters are adjustable and remove by simply pulling straight out.

Garbz
64 F100 Christine "Heartless" and Mean.
63 F100 Uni Custom, Cammer. T56 Low and fast. Still under the Knife
69 M250 Crew Cab 4x4, 472 EFI, Ranger, CC, Long bed
05 Escape.
All Ford and nutthing but Ford.....
jeremyfx4

Post by jeremyfx4 »

Thanks for the info guys, if it is not factory then it looks like the ones you see in bumpside trucks, but it has the 65 type single pot mc mounted. So maybe i just need to buy a mc for the bump trucks and see how it works out. I figured the rod would just pull out but neither the one that goes from the pedal to the booster nor the one from the booster to the mc would pull all the way out, it was kind of like they had a snap ring on the other side.
ABA

Post by ABA »

Garbz wrote:
Typical rods in the boosters are adjustable and remove by simply pulling straight out.

Garbz
Mine came off a '71 and the adjustable rod is still to long at the shortest adjustment. Going to have to cut it and weld it back together I guess.
You might get lucky with yours Jeremy.
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

Jeremy, measure the depth of the single pot master cylinder from the flat face where it mounts to the booster.
Then, take the same measurement of a '78 master cylinder (for power brakes).
If they match, you are golden.
If not, try a '73, and a '72. Make sure you specify with disc brakes of course.
Good luck!
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Garbz wrote:Power Vacuum assist brakes were not available in 65 from the factory. It was added after purchase.

You will need to ascertain just which booster is installed IE Bendix, Airheart ect. Any boosted master from a later year will work based on bore and volume for drum drum brakes. select the year you need based on the outputs to the inside or outside.

Garbz

If that's true, then why did FoMoCo put the whole section in my shop manual about power brakes?

I mean, if it was a dealer added option and as variable as you describe, then I cannot figure why Ford went to the trouble of writing it up in the shop manual. The pics show that funny looking booster that looks totally differnt from later 70's era units.

I think Ford did send some out with power brakes, or at least there was a pretty standard option that they recomended for F100 trucks........
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

Like BJ says, the recess where the rod fits in the piston is quite a bit deeper in the single pot than the dual pot. About 7/8 or an inch diff.

Fred
Breezeman
United States of America

Post by Breezeman »

I don't know if this will works on a power booster but I bought a dual MC for a late 60's mustang and it bolted right up with correct push rod length.
I DON'T have the power booster. I got info from this website about 4 or 5 years ago. I read where others have done that so I tried it. I have PS box, front discs and the proportioning valve from a 76 F100.
Maybe you can give this a try.

PS. Anyone know what it would take to add Power Booster?

Later
Keep'em slick !
Larry
1965 F-100 Shortbed 390 automatic
1997 K1500 Z71 4X4
2002 31' Fleetwood RV
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

I once had a power booster and M/C for my 66 F100 with disc brakes and prop valve on it. I never installed it fully because I sold my drop beams and the booster and M/C to a member on here thinking I was going to buy an aftermarket IFS unit and never did. I will say that the rod was too long and needed to be cut some and rethreaded or re welded (I recommend rethreading so there are no joints to worry about breaking.
I want to say my unit was from a 73 or so F100 but cannot say for certain. I am in need of the info on this very same question on what year booster and Master cylinder I need so I can add it to my 66 F100. I still plan to get a Dakota front end but that will not be anytime soon so for now the power steering and late model brakes will work.
jeremyfx4

Post by jeremyfx4 »

Here is my brake/mc setup that was on my truck, maybe some of you guys can tell whether it is original or not. I think i'm just going to take out the power brakes and go with the manual m/c off of something else, i'm going to try one off of a 79 f100 w/manual brakes and w/front disc.

TxSlick66

Post by TxSlick66 »

Master cylinder will either have 1/2" or 1.0" pushrod depth as measured from the mounting flange to the bottom of the piston. Just match the one you have.
TxSlick66
aka MustangSteve

Money you ENJOY wasting is NOT wasted money...