has anyone heard of a "CLEVOR" motor

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

STOFFER
United States of America

has anyone heard of a "CLEVOR" motor

Post by STOFFER »

i guess the clevor is supposed to make more power (expecially if using a stroker crank)
I dunnno what the power difference bewteen a celvor and a stock cleveland would be.

http://www.darkhorseracing.net/clevor_head_mod.htm

basicly it's a 351 windsor block with cleveland heads and either a special intake or an adapter kit that allows use of the windsor intake.

would this be worh the effort I have a set of cleveland heads and a spare windsor block in the barn. and then I can give my dad the cleveland engine for his '66 stang (coupe)

anybody??? yeah i got some free time

I miss my slicks
bigtrip460

Post by bigtrip460 »

the only reason to do that would be for heads that flow better than stock windsor style heads.
imo for the all the effort you would have in that, you can score modern castings from edelbrock for not alot of money (relatively speaking of course). a new casting of any brand will outflow stock heads and would be easier than water jacket issues and special gaskets and intake.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

The Boss 302 is the original Cleavor, it had a 4 bolt main 302 block and 4bbl Cleveland heads on it. It was meant as a racing engine and made it's peak torque and horsepower at quite high revs.. above 4000 if I remember right.

It wasn't too great on the low end /low rev torque you need to get our big, heavy trucks going, and so unless the stuff you have out in the shop requires NO work (heads already rebuilt etc) I would go with what bigtrip said.
There are some great aluminum Windsor heads out there that don't require using a crazy expensive and hard to find intake manifold, and are supported in aftermarket way better than Cleveland heads
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

I wouldn't build a Clevor unless I were using the Aussie 2-V heads. The intake manifolds are not that hard to come by. They are available new and used. For my own use, I would just build the Cleveland. The Windsor blocks have a great oiling system. You can build a lot of H.P. with an Aussie Clevor. Nascar engines today are basically Clevors. The block drsign was derived from the 351-W while the heads are race versions of the 351-C. I think you should go for it. Would make a great project. There is also a lot of fun when the GM guys see it and get the look on their face and ask "What the hell is that". It's really gratifying if you just blew the guys doors off!! Good luck................
Jim
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Stoffer. That is basically a NASCAR motor, designed for continious high rpm service and would be a real problem on the street for anything but racing.
When you coming back down for spaghetti?
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Sorry, I didn't mean to use a NASCAR motor for the street. That's why you use Windsor stock block and Aussie 2-V heads. Awesome street motors with good driveability in day to day use.
Jim
chop

Post by chop »

I had one in MaeBell in the beginning., and had a AOD tranny...not a good combo. That motor was a screamer above 3500, but with a straight axle, and worn out bushings etc, it was very scary in its power band.
Chop
STOFFER
United States of America

Post by STOFFER »

i get my head wanderig sometimes (I'm in iraq again :( )

skip I'll be calling you soon

I might just go for the clevor motor in my dads '66 stang coupe with a 6 speed and the right rear end it'd fly.

I'm gonna run the Cleveland and C-6 in the '65 for now but might swap to a stroked 460 5 speed later on.

I miss my slicks
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

These can make REAL nice HiPo engines if the parts are picked right, I would definately recomend using 2 bbl heads on a street version if you have them. You can also get D port exaust plates for the 4 bbl heads that will make them much better on the street. Ford did build this combination as a 351 also, was in the 1971 Boss 351 Mustangs. Pretty healthy engine if done right. I'd do it, I still haven't given up on using one in a future project. Keep yourself safe over there.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

The Boss 351s had the sewer pipe ports in them too. Great for sustained high RPM operation. Actually the 2-V aussie heads have worked great on drag and circle track cars for years. The large port Yates or Cleveland heads do well on tracks over a mile in length.
Jim
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

A boss 351 is not a Clevor, it is a Cleveland, a Boss 302 is a Clevor as it uses a Windsor block and Cleveland heads. A Clevor can be a great street motor and does not have to be a high RPM monster. There is a reason several guys mentioned using the Aussie heads, it is because they work and work well. They make for great low RPM torque monsters when set up properly and very few of the aftermarket Windsor heads work as well as the Cleveland design because of the limitations of the design. that is why Ford built the Boss 302 and Clevelands originally. A Clevor can produce more power for less money than a Windsor under most circumstances which is why they remain so popular and so many parts are made to built them. Hawkrod
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

"A boss 351 is not a Clevor, it is a Cleveland" Somebody has some wrong information out there. I don't remember where I found the wrong tidbit, I am definately inclinded to believe Hawkrod though. Stoffer, which heads do you have?
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Clevor engines run strong as can be sen in Nascar. However, this is like comparing apples and orranges, both fruits but not the same. To build any engine, you need to know what it is you want before you start. In a Mustang, you may want a a high reving engine, but don't forget that with big ports and low flow at bottom end, means it doesn't get off the line as fast. Unless you intend to build your bottom end bullit proof, I would stick with the smaller heads. You can easily spend 10K on an engine of this design, and I doubt that is where you want to be. Even building with what you have, you need to build the bottom end as strong as possible, as this is your weak link. A fully balanced assembly is important, as are attention to all details. With all this advice, hope we aren't taking the fun out of it for you.

Rich
Horsepower

Post by Horsepower »

Wow what an education!!! Thank you all!! OK it's a no secret I'm a Pontiac
guy. I always said I'll race a Pontiac and tow it to the track behind my
FORD!! Drive a FORD daily but know very little about building them :oops:
But you guys are always teaching me new and exciting things!!!

Thank you everyone :wink:
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Just to clarify any confusion:

A Clevor is any Windsor block with Cleveland heads.

My favorite Cleveland heads are the 2-V Aussie's. If I don't have Aussie heads, I wont build a Clevor. Didn't say I had never built one with American heads, just wouldn't do it again.
Jim
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Aussie heads hmmm? Must be something to building the heads upside down on the bottom of the world.

Rich :lol:
Bills 66

Post by Bills 66 »

I think the boss 302 got a bad reputation on the street. It was never intended as a street engine. It was made for scca racing back when you had to race what was sold to the public. Using parts that were already produced Ford managed to put together a engine that was hard to beat. Chevy did the same with their 302 and even AMC came up with a engine to fit the rules (304?) Each manufacturer was required to sell a certain number of these engines as options to stock model cars, none were really good on the street at low RPMs, but would really put a grin on your face as they wound up.
If I was to build a cleavor it would be a 408 stroker based on a 351 windsor block with the 2v aussie heads. This would give you the displacement these heads could work with. This combo puts out some real serious HP and torque with out breaking the bank.
But what do you expect from a guy that is putting a 427 FE in a '65 slick?
Bill
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

64 f100 wrote:Aussie heads hmmm? Must be something to building the heads upside down on the bottom of the world.

Rich :lol:

Yes, The Aussies got it right!!
Jim
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

Bills 66 wrote:I think the boss 302 got a bad reputation on the street. It was never intended as a street engine. It was made for scca racing back when you had to race what was sold to the public. Using parts that were already produced Ford managed to put together a engine that was hard to beat. Chevy did the same with their 302 and even AMC came up with a engine to fit the rules (304?) Each manufacturer was required to sell a certain number of these engines as options to stock model cars, none were really good on the street at low RPMs, but would really put a grin on your face as they wound up.
If I was to build a cleavor it would be a 408 stroker based on a 351 windsor block with the 2v aussie heads. This would give you the displacement these heads could work with. This combo puts out some real serious HP and torque with out breaking the bank.
But what do you expect from a guy that is putting a 427 FE in a '65 slick?
Bill

I have to disagree with one very minor point, you said "Using parts that were already produced Ford managed to put together a engine that was hard to beat." and that really is not true. There are only a couple of very minor parts that were already in production when the Boss 302 was built. Most of the engine was brand new. The first cars did use leftover 68 Tunnelport 302 blocks and the rod castings were the same (but finished differently) but the heads, intake, exhaust, pistons, valves, cams, etc... were all new parts built specifically for this untried engine design. The Boss 302 was really a specially prepared race engine from a design standpoint and not much interchanged between it and other engines in production at the time it came out. You have to remember that the 351 Cleveland was still on the drawing boards when the Boss 302 was already on the track! Hawkrod
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

and now.. just to throw a fly in the butter:
http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/ne ... -2006-sema
Bosses with Windsor heads!!! :lol:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..