Need some info on a 302

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ClanCassidy

Need some info on a 302

Post by ClanCassidy »

Hi guys,

My 65 has an early 70's 302 in it. Timing chain needs to be replaced. Will I need to drop the oil pan during this repair ?

Also, anybody know what type of lube to use in a 3 speed, manual trans ?

Thanks.

John.
"Honest Honey, this should be the last thing I need to buy for the truck".
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

you do not need to drop the pan, but you will need to remove the front pan bolts that are threaded into the timing cover.
the 65 owners manual says the 3 speed uses rotunda standard transmission fluid. C3RZ-19C547-B or R-139-B.
not sure what the equivalent is in gear oils.
cant remember the last time i filled a 3 speed or what i used.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

When you buy the gaskets get what FelPro calls a Timing chain set ( the part number will begin "TCS") You will see in there the front portion of the oil pan gasket. You will need to remove the 2- 1/2 " bolts and the 2- 7/16" bolts only, cut the original gasket at the block and put some RTV at the seam. Very simple job. Also be sure to get the older timing gear set because the newer ones will be retarded to help emissions.

Tim
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.