Regions with localized chapters added when needed
43%
A bunch of chapters, no regions
57%

Total votes: 7

MattsIASlickShop

Quick question for the MAC guys

Post by MattsIASlickShop »

As the most active chapter, do you think this new region thing is ok? Should I keep your region as it is? or keep the region and then thin it down a bit more to include a forum for just the established MAC area?
I can see where these regions are very big and spread out, making it impossible for all those in a region to interact. I could add chapter forums as they become active.
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

Matt, I'm easy doesn't matter to me, we can always add a mac chapter.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
F-100XL

Question for MAC guys

Post by F-100XL »

Matt,
I may be , I AM getting older , but I kinda feel a little more comfortable in a smaller group , than move out into a bigger group as I get more used to the group . Thats just my 2 cents worth . I like this new site , but I still feel a little uneasy when I move into a bigger group at first.
Bill.
XL
wyatt

Post by wyatt »

I like chapters more than regions. I kinda like the close knit groups (chapter)
A chapter feels more like family. Much easier to connect.
Don't get me wrong. Our club is like a big family also.
Our club has really grown. I see the need to expand but am concerned with the loss of personal involvement.
I am only one voice. I don't speak for everyone. Only myself.
How far can a balloon expand before it burst?
So, I guess a bunch of balloons is needed for containment.
I don't know where I'm going with this but I just don't want to see the local chapters fall apart.
The new site is great but a bit unconfortable for me.
Like I said. I only speek for myself.
I don't like having to sign in to be able to read whats happening in our chapter or regions. Almost feel governed.
:2cents:
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

Matt, It doesn't matter very much to me personally, but I'll try to clarify what some of the other MACsters are feeling. We really appreciate you taking time and effort to support our Slick hobby (pun intended), by the way. It goes far above and beyond the call of duty. You have our unqualified support and gratitude for getting this great Slick 60s site up and runnning! Your work has done more to help crystalize our club's identity more than anything else. We most certainly don't want to discourage any Slick 60s effort, that is for sure.

In a similar fashion, the MAC group has developed a strong sense of personal interaction, it seems to be very similar to the Texas group, and to the Iowa group. Having been with you guys there in Des Moines, I saw it first hand, and really enjoyed being a part of it. It is more than just a "club."

It isn't that we don't like including more people, or more states - quite the contrary. We want to grow. But, "The MAC Chapter" has evolved a personality, even an identity of its own, and we don't want to lose that uniqueness and identity. A "NorthEast Region" in Slick60s.org seems to turn our little group into a depersonalized corporate department, rather than a loose-knit club of great guys depending on and supporting each other.

Essentially, I think what I am trying to say is that we don't want to lose our own identity - maybe independence? - or subordinate it to anyone. (Hmmm. Sounds like something I heard 156 years ago.)

So, maybe yours was the best idea right from the start? The idea of a "MAC Chapter" instead of a Region might help us from feeling relegated to the backroom.

Well, I hope I haven't stirred up the fires. Did I get it right, MACsters?
Last edited by banjopicker66 on March 4, 2007, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Well,
MAC stands for Mid atlantic Chapter. MAR stands for :oops: ? Well you get the idea. I just don't want to let on that I am from MARS :hm:
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

I think you need to add md and de back into the mac.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

Thanks Matt!
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
YukonCor55

Post by YukonCor55 »

Just my 2 cents worth:
I've been involved in more than a few enthusiasts sites over the years. Most notably the Thunderbird Nest Forum and The Indian Motorcycle Community Forum. They all started out with a small, well intentioned group of like minded supporters. Then expansion began. We got bigger and got more members, created chapters, and then the politics started creeping in. Chapter "X" started sniping at Chapter "Y", We got spammers and some people who didn't even own the products who would just log in to stir the pot! Before long the forums turned into nothing but yelling and screaming between guys who felt that they were more important to the forum than somebody else was. Hostilities developed and the flow of useful info between members virtually stopped. The groups splintered and individual chapters spun off other forums. By the end of it all, nothing was left of the original intent...like minded enthusiasts exchanging tips, ideas, and info. I'd sure hate to see that happen here. If I have or need info on a Slick, I like to think that It's all in one place, and that I can draw from the wealth of knowledge that the overall forum provides. Breaking us down into subsects sort of goes against that.
These types of forums are a great case study in human Psychology! Pretty much every human quality, good and bad, shows up at some point. Having said all of that, my gut feeling is that sometimes a singularly focused national membership is better!
AJ
SMSgt USAF Retired
1962 Ford F-250 4 X 4, 1955 Ford Fairlane, 1955 Ford Ranch Wagon, 2002 Indian Chief & a couple of old Fender guitars...Life's Good!
"The credit belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...his place shall never be with those cold, timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)