The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Paul Merrell

Post by Paul Merrell »

Is there a reason these engines bend the push tubes I found six bent tubes not too bad but they are bent. I have more I was just curious as why or what cause them to bend
"Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life - For better...or for worse." 1965 F250 4wheeldrive 390/4speed/dana 60 rear 3.73/dana 44/PB
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Paul, there can be several reasons they could be bent.
first one is you can bend them when installing the rocker arms if you dont tighten them down correctly following the procedure in the manual.
next one is the lifters, could be something wrong with those.could also be a valve spring issue.
without seeing the engine its kind of hard to determine why.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Paul.
For FE motors, there are different lengths on the pushrods.
Not much, but enough to make a problem if you get the wrong ones. As much as I don't like FTE, they have an article there that explains the problem.
And, like Iceman said, you could have to much lift on the cam and are binding up the valve springs. They should collapse more than 1/2".
Have your machine shop check out the valve heights too.
Or, along with all the other stuff I said, you could also just get adjustable rockers like I did.................. :wink:
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Paul Merrell

Post by Paul Merrell »

Welll everything is stock. It has a stock cam stock heads did have burnt exhaust valves. Did not see where the valves have hit the pistons did not have any bent valves so maybe they did get bent when they where installed.
"Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life - For better...or for worse." 1965 F250 4wheeldrive 390/4speed/dana 60 rear 3.73/dana 44/PB
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

If the engine gets out of time it will bend pushrods but not necessarily the valves. Don't ask me how I know that. :roll:
If it's had an aftermarket timing gear set installed it may be the kind that requires removal of the spacer shim on the end of the cam. If this isn't done, the cam gear can 'walk' out of time, though you'd think it would rear it's head pretty quickly as an engine that runs really wrong.
Again, no need to ask me how I know this.
:oops:
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning