V8, Swap question..

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jeffw

V8, Swap question..

Post by jeffw »

someday when i grow up i wanna put a 302cid into my slick,, when i do can i use the same one wire that goes to the coil? or how do i get some spark? also i'd like to go automatic, what would be the best combo with a 302? I'll need a shorter drive shaft, and probaly have to cut a hole in the floor, is there any unfore seen problems that anyone can share from experience? the 223cid I got inthere is still cherry as it was rebuilt a year ago, but she lacks the power and speed the one would desire
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I have a '63 with a 351w and a 64 with a 302. Here is what I would do.

The Engine. Roller block.. 1984 or newer. 331 or 347 stroker crank and rotating mechanism. Ford GT40 aluminum heads. Mustang shorty headers. intake carb of your choice, approx 600 cfm. Healthy stage one cam -hear it-

The transmission. AOD, built up to be a bit tougher than stock.

Rear end. 3.50-3.89 final drive on a 9"

The installation. Get a kit from Dennis Carpenter or trans-dapt, including the trans cross member. Cut out the back motor/transmission mount but LEAVE THE PART THAT HOLDS THE BRAKE CABLE intact.

The ignition wire you speak of, the pink wire.. cut it off about 6" past the switch and solder splice in a new non-resistance wire to the coil.

The Alternator. Ford 3G One (actually two) wire.

The Ignition. Duraspark 2 or aftermarket mallory, etc.

That enough to get you on the horse?

Some of these things I have , some I don't on my trucks. This is what I would consider to be ideal, after my collected mistakes, so far.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
jeffw

Post by jeffw »

hey thanks for the tip!! This might be dumb but how do you install a ignition?? the mallory you mentioned, or duraspark? I've never worked with any ignition install before.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..