help with 302 and 5spd

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jbolivar

help with 302 and 5spd

Post by jbolivar »

Hello,

I'm new to the 61 - 66 f100 world. I've just bought a 64 with a 70 mustang 302 and was thinking about a newer mustang 5spd. Can anyone tell me what year and model would be best to pull one from?

Thanks, Jim
ras4434

Post by ras4434 »

I can not help you withthe trannie question but want to WELCOME YOU TO THE CLUB. I am sure some of the "stang" guys will chime in soon.
lincolnslick

Post by lincolnslick »

if you want sports car shifting a t5 is for you but if you want a truck 5 spd look for one out of an 88 thru 94 f150
nothing like the smell of tiresmoke in the morning
douglloyd

Post by douglloyd »

Cool. What else do you have to change out? Do you need mount adapters? Do they bolt straight up to a 70's 302 bellhousing? How well does the shifter line up with the cab floor?

If you go with the later rear end, what kind of ratios work best?

OK...I'll hush now. Y'all went and got me flustered<g> But with gas prices climbing again, this sounds pretty good. Pictures would be great.

Doug
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Gear ratio will depend on how you intend to use the truck, about 3:50s would be good for all around use. I would hit the salvage yard and just take everything, Bellhousing, Flywheel clutch setup and all, you might as well grab the driveshaft too so you will have the yoke cause you will likely have to have one made. You will have to check on balancing on your particular 302, I seem to remember Ford changing the balancing when they went to the new firing order about 82, there are Mustang suppliers out there who have 5 speed swap kits for older stangs that may be able to help you out with the flywheel.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Is the truck a standard shift now, or automatic? If you have the standard shift, all you need is the transmission and an adapter to use the T5. Shifter position could be a problem. I think Hawkrod said something about changing to tail shaft and shifter from a Sl10, that moves the shifter forward. You may also encounter a problem with shifter height, not being tall enough. Otherwise, since someone already adapted your truck to a more modern drive train, it depends on how it was done. I should of asked that to start with. Droping in a more modern drive train in a 64 is not a straight forward job. It has a lot of adapting to be done. Motor mounts and tranny crossmember to be sure if done right. Another question that needs to be asked, what ploor pan is in the truck? The four speeds had a bigger hump to accomidate the larger tranny. The three speed had a lower hump. Easy to tell, as the hump will unbolt in a four speed. This is imprtant if you are going to use the truck 5 speed, as you would need the extra space. Also, if you use the truck five speed, be sure to get the floor hump, as it may come in handy, if you have to adapt. Even with the hump, a three speed might not work unless you cut the rest of the hump out and weld it in. Which transmission is the best, I can't say. I would say a world class T5, would be easiest to adapt, because of the space limitations, on an original 3 speed truck. Torque ratings have gone up on the T5's since the world class was introduced, and the highest rating is in the early 90's. Now buying one is another problem with the T5. To get a complete setup you are looking at anywhere from 6 to 10 hundred, from what I've seen. The truck 5 speed can be had for less. I'm not sure what the first gear ratio is on the truck transmissions, but on our original trucks, it was a work gear only, and of little to no use other than to get started, if you were to say, be pulling a house. However, I don't think todays trannies are geared that low.

Rich
adrianspeeder
United States of America

Post by adrianspeeder »

For a daily driver or fun truck (not haulin'/towin' too much) the Mazda five speed is a good choice.

Here's some specs, but it will bolt right up to your 302 as long as it didn't come from the 4.6L '97-'03. The 300, 302, and 4.2L are what you want from a donor truck to get the pedals, master cylinder, hydro line, and I would recommend a new slave cylinder.

Model: M5OD-R2
Type: Five speed Mazda Overdrive
Years: 88-96 Bronco, F150s
..........97-03 F150s
..........05 F150 (v6)
Engines: 300, 302, 4.2L, 4.6L
Fluid: Mercon
Display:
1.3.(D)
2.4.R
Ratios:
1st 3.90:1