generator altenator change over

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64slick

generator altenator change over

Post by 64slick »

can anyone tell me what all is needed to convert from gen to alt on a 223 feedback.gif
64slick (Tom)
YukonCor55

Post by YukonCor55 »

Tom,
You've hit on one of my favorite topics here! It depends on which type of alternator you want to install. In my opinion, the simplest approach is to install a Delco style alternator; either the 10SI or 12SI models. They are inexpensive, reliable and available at any auto parts store. (every mid 70's to Mid 80's GM product with a V-8 used them) Also they are self contained so NO external voltage regulator is required. I've done this conversion on every "classic" vehicle I've owned over the years. It's easy, fun, and very rewarding. Some guys have an aversion to installing a "GM" item on their Fords and that's cool. But for simplicity of installation and flat out reliability, you can't beat the Delco. You can get brackets for the installation from a couple of sources but I'm a big fan of 5th Ave Garage in Kansas. They also have custom built alternators and installation kits. Another good source is MAD Electrical. They can set you up with a wiring kit and installation instructions. Here's the links:

http://www.madelectrical.com/
http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/

Good Luck and Enjoy!
AJ
SMSgt USAF Retired
1962 Ford F-250 4 X 4, 1955 Ford Fairlane, 1955 Ford Ranch Wagon, 2002 Indian Chief & a couple of old Fender guitars...Life's Good!
"The credit belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...his place shall never be with those cold, timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)
jeffw

delco,,

Post by jeffw »

hello, with that conversion will the volt meter in my truck work?? do you just bolt it up and run the one wire to the battery??
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
YukonCor55

Post by YukonCor55 »

You can go to http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/
They'll have everything you need for a perfect fit with SIMPLE installation instructions. It's almost foolproof!
SMSgt USAF Retired
1962 Ford F-250 4 X 4, 1955 Ford Fairlane, 1955 Ford Ranch Wagon, 2002 Indian Chief & a couple of old Fender guitars...Life's Good!
"The credit belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...his place shall never be with those cold, timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

I wired mine so the gen light works and installed a Voltmeter so I know what it's doing.
Fred
jeffw

Post by jeffw »

hey buddy, I have a voltmeter and the gen light too,, how did you wire it?
that is the setup I want,,
YukonCor55

Post by YukonCor55 »

The "GEN" light is used as a load so that the engine will not run on after the ignition is switched off. If you're using a Delco type alternator (10SI or 12SI,) you'll need the GM style plug (avaialable at any parts store.) Hook it up as follows:
Terminal 1 should go to a SWITCHED HOT with the "GEN" light in series between them.
Terminal 2 should loop around to the "BATT" terminal on the back of the Alternator. The original wire from your Battery should also go to the "BATT" terminal. Tape up or remove all other wires.
This "3 wire" setup is better than trying to run a "single wire" setup since it will operate properly at low RPMs whereas the "single wire" setup might not.
Now for the volt meter: it can be hooked up to ANY switched hot source. It's actually better to hook it up further away from the battery as it's a better indication of overall system voltage.
If you did everything right, when you turn the ignition to "on" your "GEN" light should glow. Once you start the engine it should go out just like always. Your Voltmeter should read about 14 volts plus or minus about a a half volt.
If the alternator ever fails, the potential on the #1 terminal will go to ground and causing your GEN light to glow. It's virtually the same setup as your old system just with a lot less parts! I've done this conversion on every pre-1965 vehicle I've ever owned and it's never failed me yet!
You can find detailed instructions on line just GOOGLE "Delco 10SI alternator installation.
I wish I lived closer to ND, I'd come out and help you. I love electrical work! If you still need help, drop me a PM with your email and I'll send you the instructions with a diagram.
That's it, hope this helps.
SMSgt USAF Retired