Slick spotting at Calgary wrecking yard

WA, OR, CA, NV, UT, MT, ID, WY, AK, BC, AB, SASK, YK, NWT

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

The Big M
Canada

Slick spotting at Calgary wrecking yard

Post by The Big M »

Hey everybody,

I figured I'd post this here in case anyone was interested. I was just in Calgary this weekend and stopped by Buck's Auto Parts, where I spotted a '66 Mercury pickup. It's sitting in a sort of staging area in front of the office, so it's not officially for sale. Apparently customers aren't allowed to wander around in the area where it's sitting. I got chased off before I got a real good chance to look it over.

Anyway, it's a Custom Cab longbox with a chrome grill. The hood is still there, but the driver's door is missing, and I think the driver's fender is gone too. The bed is pretty rough and the tailgate is missing. I can't provide any more detail than that, but anyone who's interested might want to call the wrecking yard about it before it disappears.

Buck's is a tiny yard, right next to a scrap metal operation, so I imagine if they can't find room in the back for the truck that they'll probably just crush it. :(
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Pretty rare to see a slick in Calgary at all, they are usually rusted out from the heaps of salt they throw down there in the winter.

Sounds like there's not much left that's "Mercury" on that truck, but might be something for a guy to start with, if you could register it and it hasn't gone to Salvage title
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

It very well could have been a basket case. I wish I could have taken a peek at the floor to find out for certain. But you're right JC, not too much to identify it as a Merc other than the letters above the grille.

That was actually the second Merc I spotted that day. I saw another '66 parked on a side street, obviously a driver, while I was looking for the wrecking yard. I think it was an M-350, with what looked like a fresh red-and-white paint job and a HUGE dent in the bottom of the driver's door and cab. :shock:

I felt the owner's pain. One of them crazy Calgary drivers must have t-boned it or something...