"Low Tech" remembers being treated like this...

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

azjake
United States of America

"Low Tech" remembers being treated like this...

Post by azjake »

So, this morning my wife and I hopped in "Low Tech" to run a few errands. I stopped at the Shell staion in old downtown Buckeye, Arizona for some fuel and to air up one of the tires. As I was getting out of the truck, a Shell service tech (an older gentleman) walked up and asked, "May I wash your windshield?" I was shocked and replied, "I have not been asked that at a service staion for longer than I care to remember! Please do!"

We drove away with a very clean windshield and nostalgia running rampant.

I am sure that "Low Tech" remembers those "Good Old Days" also.

Jake
I think I'll go to the "Spousal Avoidance Center" (workshop) for a while...
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

Cool I thought thosedays were long gone.
Tom Williams
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Are you sure you didn't take a wrong turn into .......................................

THE TWILIGHT ZONE? :lol:
macgiobuin

Post by macgiobuin »

But was he happy with a nickel tip?
My Baby: 1966 F100
Activated Org 64

Post by Activated Org 64 »

If he is that old, he is happy to be alive!!!
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

Sounds like he enjoyed it as much as you did!
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
frdnut

Post by frdnut »

That is cool! :D
1965 F100(the wifes)
1968 Mustang 408W stroker
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

The same thing happened to me at the Shell station here last week. I was just about blown over.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
jwcnj45

Post by jwcnj45 »

Reminds me of the days of my youth when I worked at my father's Esso station. Wash the windshield,rear window, offer to check the oil even if the customer only got $1.00 worth of gas. Now you are lucky if the attendant ( I live in NJ where there is no self serve) can even speak English.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I got to tell you though I have the occasion to drive through the state of Oregon once in awhile, and there is no such thing as self serve. You are not allowed to do it yourself, period. The service has always been friendly and the gas prices cheaped than in most places...

Guess it says something about greed doesn't it
John
Turk build thread at:
http://slick60s.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

Found out about Oregon a couple weeks ago when I tried to fill up my rental car. :oops:
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

62galxe wrote:Found out about Oregon a couple weeks ago when I tried to fill up my rental car. :oops:
that's just their way of saying "howdy" up there. lol
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
oldtrucks
United States of America

Post by oldtrucks »

Its a state law in Oregon Something about employment I think. Some of the Oregon members might shed light on this Im sure
Mike Kincheloe
Mikes Old Trucks
I restore old trucks and cars

1962 UNI Short Box, Stock Y block, 4 speed Image
1972 F 250 4X4 429 4 speed Dana 70 rear
1977 F 350 Camper Special, Ranger, Super Cab
1950 F7 Cab and Chassis
1976 F150 4 Speed 4 X 4
1996 Taurus
azjake
United States of America

Post by azjake »

foodstick wrote:Are you sure you didn't take a wrong turn into .......................................

THE TWILIGHT ZONE? :lol:
You know, the name on his shirt was Rod... :shock:

Jake
Last edited by azjake on October 31, 2010, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HiBoy63
Ireland

Post by HiBoy63 »

I travel to Portland Oregon a couple of times a year. Last time on the way home we stopped in Hood River Oregon. The atendent washed the windshield and had treats for our dog. Great friendly service. I worked at a Sunoco service station when I was in highschool. This was in 1969 and 70. It was part of the full service to wash windshield check the oil and air on request. Rain or shine hot or cold we did it with a smile. No overhead canopy to keep the weather off just some islands with rows of pumps. Sometimes 3 or 4 cars going at a time when it was busy. Some shifts 2 attendents some only one on duty it was for me a fun way to make money when I was in highschool.
1963 F250 4x4x292
1965 F100 4x4x352
1998 F150 4x4x4.6
2001 Sport Track 4x4x4.0

In case you are wondering thats Ireland......Freedom is not Free!!!!!!!!

Heritage country Flag
azjake
United States of America

Post by azjake »

macgiobuin wrote:But was he happy with a nickel tip?

Tip? I was supposed to give him a tip? I never got tips when I worked at the Shell station in Riverton, IL in my younger days!!!

Jake
Last edited by azjake on October 31, 2010, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kjvforme
United States of America

Post by kjvforme »

It's just Oregon's way to get people to work, mostly young kids. I started out working at a Union 76 station in Astoria, Oregon. They had leaded premium when I was working there. We would check oil, wash windshield, and check tire pressure as well. The station was a full service station, we sold tires and had a full time mechanic that actually new what he was doing. The one dollar of gas thing brings back memories. During the summer the Harley riders ( Some gangs) would invade the station filling up their small gas tanks, If you were alone it took time. All of the guys with hopped up rides would come in and by leaded premium as well. I worked there after graduating high school for a year before I went into the Coast Guard.
1962 Ford F100 Unibody Custom Cab
1944 Ford GPW
cars2cool

Post by cars2cool »

I had heard while doing a brief training session at Klamouth Falls Air National Guard base the reason for having non-self serve gasoline had to do with gas spills if the auto matic nozzle failed and did not shut off. And the EPA types were the ones behind it.
'31 Model A pickup, '55 F100 Yblock w/fordamatic, '56 F100 6cyl. 3 spd. BBW my first pickup bought when I was 13 in 1974, '77 Lincoln Town Car with 64,000 original miles For Sale
azjake
United States of America

Post by azjake »

Last week I was talking with one of the guys that works at the Shell station and he told me that since things have been a little slow, they decided to go back to the old way of doing things. It has been working out good for them, so far.

Jake
ABA

Post by ABA »

I know of one full service station in my area but you're going to pay quite a few more cents a gallon for the personal service.
Think mostly uppity types use it 'cause they don't want the smell of gasoline on thier hands.

As for the auto shutoffs not working, I had a nozzle come out of the filler tube once and spray me with gas. Never again does my hand leave the nozzle.
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry