63 unibody

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

dragginwagon

63 unibody

Post by dragginwagon »

figure i'll start a build thread... some, maybe most wont like it, i know plenty didnt like my last one on FTE site. :roll:
i bought 2 1963 unibodys recently, one off craigslist for 600 delivered and the other off of ebay for 335 and a buddy of mine brought it to me ( he lived near the guy in ky). the white one from ky had no motor or trans, the red one from craigslist had a 292 3spd but was locked up and rust in several cylinders so its been scrapped.
plan to build one good one outta the 2 of em. as it turns out they're basically opposites of each other on whats good and whats bad. the red truck will end up being a parts truck ( torque box is wasted and the bed as a terrible diamond plate floor)

heres a few pics of the trucks

dragginwagon

Post by dragginwagon »

plans are to leave the truck patina, build a new frame using a camaro sub frame and 2x4 box tubing from there back. truck will be 4 linked and have airride.

been gathering parts and gettin ready to jump into it this winter.
so far ive picked up a 460 and c6 outta pulla part here in nashville. got em both and a performer intake for 220 bux. come to find out they'd been recently rebuilt and had new .40 over pistons, redone heads, and the trans had a new converter and seals in it. best i can tell it had been in a light fire ( didnt even cook the carb gasket) and some one just gave up. no carbon on the cylinders and cam was barely broke in.....
went ahead and bought all new gaskets, water pump, lunati cam,timing cover, and a rear sump pan while i painted the long block.

pics

dragginwagon

Post by dragginwagon »

picked up a 75 camaro subframe from pull a part for 100 bux couple weeks ago. got it stripped to frame rails and im gunna have it sand blasted here pretty soon. got the arms stripped and ready to be built.

modded the lowers. plated the top for the bag to bolt too, cut the pocket out, and plated the bottom side for looks more than anything.
ive got all new balljoint, bushings, and tierods for it.... just havent started puttin it together yet

slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

looking good. cant beat the prices either.
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
dragginwagon

Post by dragginwagon »

thanx. yeah im goin for a budget type build...my wife's expecting and i've got to be easy on the bank account. im shooting for 5k running and driving, so far im about 2-2.5k. ive got all the airride equipment, my whitewalls- wheels, most the running gear so im off to a good start money wise.
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Looks good. I want to do a uni some time, but I need to finish the truck I have first.

Can't beet the price of the sub frame. :)
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Draggin looks like your moving right along . How many tailgates you get with those 2 uni's :D. I have a 62 and 63 but no tailgate :D.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
dragginwagon

Post by dragginwagon »

i got zero tailgates from these :(
the white one had some homemade job on there that went to scrap.... i just bought a new one from ezernut9mm (chris) should be here this week. good luck on your search they seem to be hard to come by.

ive got a pretty good list of parts collected, just need to get to building.
full set of steel "inne" wheels
set of bottle cap hubcaps
nice 61 grille
new tailgate
a f150 tilt column

some things i still need
stock 460 valve covers
carb
camaro drop spindles
aftermarket wiring harness
63uni

clone

Post by 63uni »

Wow, this is what they call 'deja vue'...
I bought my truck in 1980 from a high school buddy that had turned his attention to a 78 trans am
It looks like the same farmer's field only difference is my farmer's field was in Ontario Canada.

check out my tread http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19124:shock: 63 unibody build
dragginwagon

Post by dragginwagon »

tailgate made it here today 8)
need to get the hardware for it, i'll call lmc tomorrow.

also ordered my tubing for the frame and 4 link today, should have to tomorrow. 2 20ft sticks of 2x4 and 2 stick 2x2.
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

chris, call tom @ flashback f100s. he's closer to you and won't kill you on prices and shipping like lmc will.
glad the gate made it. hope it was in one piece. lol
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

glad i could contribute with those bottle caps
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
dragginwagon

Post by dragginwagon »

ezernut9mm wrote:chris, call tom @ flashback f100s. he's closer to you and won't kill you on prices and shipping like lmc will.
glad the gate made it. hope it was in one piece. lol

cool, i'll check on it today.
gate looks good, well for china stuff any ways :) it should be fine for me though, this truck isnt gettin a finished paint job so im not to wooried about it. just wanted a straight gate back there.
dragginwagon

Post by dragginwagon »

havent worked on this much lately..... been workin on "customers" rides a bunch. but im about caught up and ready to get at it.

stripped the rear end and pulled the axles out to have the bolt pattern changed. sent it and the subframe to the blaster, should have it back friday. time to build the frame

dragginwagon

Post by dragginwagon »

need some info on which bearings this rearend/ axle uses... also lookin for a disk brake conversion while i'm at it
dragginwagon

Post by dragginwagon »

fun will begin real soon...

picked up my frame/ welding table (5x10) also picked up my subframe and rearend from the sand blaster today.

it snowed and sleeted most the night.... my tow rig is filthy!

twistedfreak

Post by twistedfreak »

looks good man keep it up i have a 63 thats already subd with the camero frame that i got but now trying to sell has no title so thats what is hurting me but keep the progress up man
""WE THE WILLING, LED BY THE UNKNOWING, ARE DOING THE IMPOSSIBLE FOR THE UNGRATEFUL""
dragginwagon

Post by dragginwagon »

preciate it.... ive clipped a few one day i'll try a different route

this is the last one i completed

dragginwagon

Post by dragginwagon »

got some more work done.... took a couple steps forward then one back a couple times but i got it moving along now, the front end is completely rebuilt and welded to the table.
i have to take the main rails back off and have them tig welded, their gunna be the airtanks for the suspension

here's some pics

dragginwagon

Post by dragginwagon »