all wrong 63 or is it ?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

63unibodyboy

all wrong 63 or is it ?

Post by 63unibodyboy »

got some pics of my 63 ,had it for 16 years now,mostly original,inside box-grill-bumper have been repainted motor repainted about 20 years ago by my friend that sold it to me,when I bring it to car shows I get alot of people saying( I have the wrong fenders and box on the truck,those fenders are for a 4x4,he put on the wrong bed alot of people are doing that ) I tell them it was ordered that way but the look on there face is they dont believe me, story about the truck from my friend is he got it from north dakota from a guy that worked for north d. electric company they ordered the truck special back in 63 for their utility fleet,it has a 223 four speed 14 volt alt 60 amp,9 leafe springs on back. the door tag has a four digit number under dso( 7016) I read that for digits mean it was not off the lot but spec.ordered. I do not know what ford had for options back then but as far as I know this truck is original Image
[img]http://i975.photobImage

ucket.com/albums/ae237/perrymb/212.jpg[/IMG]
[img]http:Image

//i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae237/perrymb/125.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by 63unibodyboy on November 15, 2010, 5:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

The fenders do look like they're longer in the opening, but the shape of them is correct, and that is the correct grill and box. Nice looking truck. As for the fenders, it could be that they were what was available on the assembly line when the truck was built.
It is not, however, a Uni-body.
Uncle Skip
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
63unibodyboy

Post by 63unibodyboy »

what did i do wrong?,my 8 pics are not showing
semotrucker

Post by semotrucker »

Oops...I should see the pics before I open my mouth...sorry.

Cam
Last edited by semotrucker on November 15, 2010, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

That truck looks great! Love the engine bay.

If you put a space or press enter between the [/img] and the next [img] it should fix your pics.
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

here ya go, looks awesome

--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

I can't see your pics (now I can), but the bed you are referring to is affectionately known as a "wrong bed". It looks "wrong" as the lines don't match up, but it is VERY CORRECT.
Back Story: Ford introduced the Uni(t)body truck (without a separate bed) in 1961 and built them through 1963. Remember these were work trucks not pleasure trucks. Buyers didn't like the Uni(t)body and amid complaints of the bed cracking behind the cab and the doors popping open etc. mid-62 model year they began offering the cab with the bed off a 57-60 truck (same as on the 4X4 trucks) as there were no plans to offer a separate style-side type bed option therefore none available.

Edit: Beautiful truck by the way! Forgot to mention that! Nearly perfect.
Last edited by Gritsngumbo on November 15, 2010, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
F7BIGJOB
Location: West Greenwich, Rhode Island & Providence Plantations
United States of America

Post by F7BIGJOB »

Very nice!-My first slick was a '63 wrong short 100 6/3 n the tree with fenders for the smaller tires. I got it in 76 or 77 wish I had kept it but...

The holes on your upper grill, do you have the class I signal mounts?
[I have a set I bought about 10 years or so ago prior to the '65., will only fit '61-'64, need rechroming or paint]
-Steve.
F7BIGJOB
-Steve

1965 F-250 4x4 Flareside

ImageImage
63unibodyboy

holes

Post by 63unibodyboy »

no i do not,I was wondering what those holes were for
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

I wonder if some of those parts could've come off a big truck - fenders, valance, etc.
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
F7BIGJOB
United States of America

Post by F7BIGJOB »

Max wrote:I wonder if some of those parts could've come off a big truck - fenders, valance, etc.

I think ice or hawk or maybe even ezer had mentioned something about the fenders, they were on all one tonners, 3/4 4x4 and 1/2 tonners with 16"? wheels.
I've got the same fenders on my '65.
the Class I signal lights were an option 61-64 mounted on the upper valance and 64 & 65 on the fender and they are different. [looking for a set for mine]
F7BIGJOB
-Steve

1965 F-250 4x4 Flareside

ImageImage
F7BIGJOB
United States of America

Re: holes

Post by F7BIGJOB »

63unibodyboy wrote:no i do not,I was wondering what those holes were for
F7BIGJOB
-Steve

1965 F-250 4x4 Flareside

ImageImage
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

F7BIGJOB is correct, it is a common misconception that those front fenders are wrong for a light truck but that is just people who are not familiar with these trucks guessing. The large opening fenders are not a 4X4 or an F350 thing. The fender opening size was directly tied to tire size and two wheel drive F100's ordered with larger tires got the big opening fenders. It is that simple and any other suggestion is mistaken. The assembly line does not "run out" of fenders and although swaps are possible it just is not the most common scenario. There may have actually been some assembly line errors it would be pretty difficult as the panels were tagged and painted so that they were assembled properly and if the build sheet did not specify that type of fender they would have known (it is not like the fenders guys were doing anything else, they did fenders, that was their job). Specifically, if you look it up in a parts book it will note tire size as the determining factor for which fender was used on a light truck and there is nothing out of the ordinary on that truck in light of its special DSO and original location. Hawkrod
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

F7BIGJOB wrote:
Now I know also. I have them on my 63 F250. Figured they were aftermarket.
PO also added some "extra" lights under the bumper.
Hawkrod wrote:The large opening fenders are not a 4X4 or an F350 thing. The fender opening size was directly tied to tire size and two wheel drive F100's ordered with larger tires got the big opening fenders. Hawkrod
That explains why the fenders on the 65 4X4 I just bought have the smaller opening. I though someone had changed the fenders.
Last edited by Gritsngumbo on November 15, 2010, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F7BIGJOB
United States of America

Post by F7BIGJOB »

Gritsngumbo wrote:
F7BIGJOB wrote:
Now I know also. I have them on my 63 F250. Wondered if they were aftermarket.
PO also added some "extra" lights under the bumper.

Unsure on opps on 61-64, 65& 66 were signal only, lights in grille parking only.
-Steve.
F7BIGJOB
-Steve

1965 F-250 4x4 Flareside

ImageImage
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

F7BIGJOB wrote:
Unsure on opps on 61-64, 65& 66 were signal only, lights in grille parking only.
-Steve.
I can't remember for sure, but I think you are correct. I'll check tomorrow.

factorystock

Post by factorystock »

Okay, my turn. The large fenders did come standard on the F 350's, regardless of tire size. On other models, what Hawkrod and F7bigjob said is correct.The factory photo is very inspirational, should motivate somebody out there. My observations on the white '63, it is very clean, just needs a few corrections. Front grill would look much better with the black trim paint put back on, with out trim paint it lacks a design pattern. Hub caps are off a 66 F100, which means it does not have original "innie wheels". Easy fixes to get back to the '63 "look".
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

factorystock wrote:Okay, my turn. The large fenders did come standard on the F 350's, regardless of tire size. On other models, what Hawkrod and F7bigjob said is correct.The factory photo is very inspirational, should motivate somebody out there. My observations on the white '63, it is very clean, just needs a few corrections. Front grill would look much better with the black trim paint put back on, with out trim paint it lacks a design pattern. Hub caps are off a 66 F100, which means it does not have original "innie wheels". Easy fixes to get back to the '63 "look".
Edited based on new info! 61-63 F350 could have either fender. Starting in 64 the F350 got the big opening no matter what tire size (I looked it up in more books and found the noted change). Hawkrod
Last edited by Hawkrod on November 16, 2010, 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

so, what tire size determined the large opening fenders? mine has 16" wheels and i believe had the 7.50 firestones and it has the regular small openings.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
fire truck
United States of America

Post by fire truck »

The answer lies in the wiring of the grille lights. If the fenders are factory with the lights they will have one positive lead and a ground, if they were added, the lights will have two positive leads and a ground. Check for non factory connectors too.....
So good lookin' that I've attracted an international stalker.

Rest in Peace Bumpstick....I miss ya man.