Vented Hoods

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Michelle
United States of America

Vented Hoods

Post by Michelle »

For 1964, 1965 and 1966 Ford used a vented hood on some F 700's. Some have it and some don't. I think I know why but I am not sure. I think that the 700's had the standard hood and the 750's used the vented hood. I have attached a picture. If Hawk or aanyone else has any insight on this please post it. I have looked at brochures and found no answers and also checled my salesmans pricing and specs book to no avail.

The vented or ported hood
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

even though they are down to two vents, the last generation of sterling tractors still used the side heat vents. i think it's cool that they that over for so many years.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
DanSanDiego2000

Post by DanSanDiego2000 »

Michelle,

Were there occasions when the scoop was centered on the hood, and other times it would be off-center toward the driver's side?

I thought I heard that before, and if that was the case, then why?

I just picked up an NOS scoop on eBay a couple weeks ago, and the grille came with it. The grille is perfect (and chrome plated), and the 'NOS' scoop was almost perfect, aside from some pitting along flange at bottom (you'll never see it after it is bolted down).

I plan to put it on the hood of my 1965 F100 to 'cap-off' my resto-mod.... which also makes me wonder, how do you decide exactly where to mount it on the hood?

My truck is Caribbean Turquoise and White, so the hood is white. I am debating painting the scoop Caribbean Turquoise for contrast, or white like the hood.

Dan
factorystock

Post by factorystock »

The side vents appear to be a "750" only deal. Nice photo of the F750 fire unit. These models looks much better with the wide track front axle, fenders don't look like they are bulging out like on light duty F 500 and F600's. Image
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

DanSanDiego2000 wrote:Michelle,

Were there occasions when the scoop was centered on the hood, and other times it would be off-center toward the driver's side?

I thought I heard that before, and if that was the case, then why?

I just picked up an NOS scoop on eBay a couple weeks ago, and the grille came with it. The grille is perfect (and chrome plated), and the 'NOS' scoop was almost perfect, aside from some pitting along flange at bottom (you'll never see it after it is bolted down).

I plan to put it on the hood of my 1965 F100 to 'cap-off' my resto-mod.... which also makes me wonder, how do you decide exactly where to mount it on the hood?

My truck is Caribbean Turquoise and White, so the hood is white. I am debating painting the scoop Caribbean Turquoise for contrast, or white like the hood.

Dan
You are correct, the scoop was some times centered and some times sat on the side, it depended on what engine and air cleaner configuration the truck had. If I was putting one on a pick up, I would center it up on the hood.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

factorystock wrote:The side vents appear to be a "750" only deal. Nice photo of the F750 fire unit. These models looks much better with the wide track front axle, fenders don't look like they are bulging out like on light duty F 500 and F600's. Image
Thanks for posting the picture of the book, that is exactly the information I was looking for.
Michelle

DanSanDiego2000

Oh oh......
If memory serves me, the scoop sits directly over one of the winshield washer nozzle locations.

The washers are 7 inches from the trailing edge of the hood, and 22 inches apart. That scoop must be smack dab over the driver side nozzle.

Factorystock's photo will be very helpful in locating the right spot to attach hood scoop.

Not about to put washer nozzle into the hood scoop.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

I spotted this one back in 2008!, somewhere in errr, ummm America!

I need one of them for my collection 8)
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
R Pope

Post by R Pope »

A possible reason for the scoop being offset...at low speeds with no high pressure area in front of the windshield, it would allow engine compartment air to come out and get in the heater grille. Maybe Ford thought it would be lessened by putting it over to the opposite side from the heater inlet? Or maybe they just didn't want it straddling the hood ridge.
"5% better fuel economy"??! Back then, how did they measure that small an increase? That's only about 1/4 of a MPG on those old girls! Great trucks, but fuel economy was never their strong suit.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

I'll take a 5% increase on fuel economy on any of my trucks and be glad to get it. Anything helps with fuel costing as much as it does these days. I sure miss those days when I could drive as far as I wanted, and didn't have to worry about fuel costs. Don't do the old drive around and see what I can find thing anymore. Plan my trips more carefully now days.

Rich
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I think the reason it's offset on Slicks is because of the ridge bump on the hood. They didn't want to router out the scoop to fit the ridge. Those scoops were actually designed for the '57 big trucks, and the flutes in the scoop match the flute lines on the '57/58 Ford truck hood. They are also, famously, on early GTO's as Pontiac was buying them from Ford, since GM didn't make one that looked like that.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
BigMike
United States of America

Post by BigMike »

Really like seeing and learning this information. Thanks for posting it up.

I want to throw up every time I see stick-on side vents are cars and trucks today. They are usually accompanied by wheels that are 6"+ too big for the car/truck though. :?
1965 F250 352 4spd/Dana 4.10 (sold)
1991 Porsche 964 Cabriolet
2006 Cheby Silverado
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee - yeah, it's a HEMI
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I did a little more research and it was Pontiac Super Duty's that had these scoops, prior to the GTO coming out. Ironic that Pontiac called their lightweight drag cars the same thing that Ford called the trucks these scoops were on.

It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Johnny Canuck wrote:I think the reason it's offset on Slicks is because of the ridge bump on the hood. They didn't want to router out the scoop to fit the ridge. Those scoops were actually designed for the '57 big trucks, and the flutes in the scoop match the flute lines on the '57/58 Ford truck hood. They are also, famously, on early GTO's as Pontiac was buying them from Ford, since GM didn't make one that looked like that.
Johnny, I know the guy that owns that truck. His name is TJ. Remember Tom George that had the other N at Altoona? His son TJ owns the Green Ford or at least did, I think he has since sold it.
Michelle

Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Here is another variation on the hood scoops for you and I will add that it is factory stock too. Anyone care to guess why it had two scoops?

Michelle

Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Did they have twin carbies or twin air filters?
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
DanSanDiego2000

Michelle wrote:Anyone care to guess why it had two scoops?

Don't tease us, tell us.

Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Tease, tease. Lets get a few more guesses and I will tell all.
Michelle

Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Its bed time and I see we don't have many takers. The truck is a 63 T 950 and has a Detroit diesel in it. The Detroit is a 6V71 and for some reason the 6V71's used two scoops, probably because of the massive amounts of air required for a two stroke diesel.
Michelle

ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

twin turbos?
i know where a scooped hood is sitting. haven't gathered up the courage to ask if he wants to part with it. it's a long dog filled walk from the road to his front porch.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.