Sully's 1964 Project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

sully5

Sully's 1964 Project

Post by sully5 »

Ok, so I'm new here. I'm new to Ford trucks. I traded a boat I hated for this 64 F100 shorty. No significant rust but as a farm truck, it had dents in every panel. Originally a 223 L6 with 3 speed on the column.

Here's the way I got it.

Last edited by sully5 on February 12, 2012, 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If thou bleedest not, thou workest not. - Hezekiah 2:12
abrasilian

Post by abrasilian »

welcome to slick60's you will find everyone here really cool and helpful. nice truck man! nice photo shop on that girls face. lol
sully5

Post by sully5 »

What started out as a scuff and paint turned into an all out restoration. The dents were everywhere and the "old man tan" made it easy to miss a lot of them. So . . . into the fray.

Down to bare metal!

Frame disasembly:

The dash had been hacked for a modern radio. Gonna build a console so I welded in a piece of metal and smoothed.

We discovered some small rust holes in the floor so we cut some of the floor out and installed some new steel. The cab supports were marginal so the were replaced as well.

My daughter will be driving the truck and if a little freaked out about the tank behind the seat so we're relocating the tank. The hole has been welded up and smoothed.

sully5

Post by sully5 »

Welded up the trim holes and straightening the hood.

Smoothing the tailgate and relocated the handle to the inside.

Welded up the rear taillight panel seam.

Something heavy had fallen on the side of the cab during the trucks illustrious farm duty. Pulling the dent out:

sully5

Post by sully5 »

Decided to go low. Went ahead and notched the frame front and back. I boxed the front notch because the engine weight rests right there.

sully5

Post by sully5 »

Sandblasted the frame and painted it satin black.

sully5

Post by sully5 »

Decided on the Toyota steering box swap.

sully5

Post by sully5 »

Flipping both axles. Here's the front installed.

sully5

Post by sully5 »

I will post updates as progress happens.
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

Welcome to the club from central Fl. Looks like you have a good start there and a decent truck to work with. Keep the pic's comeing cause we do love them pic'.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
sully5

Post by sully5 »

abrasilian wrote:welcome to slick60's you will find everyone here really cool and helpful. nice truck man! nice photo shop on that girls face. lol

Yeah, she's my kid and I'm kinda protective.
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

thats a pretty sweet shop, you could turn anything you wanted out of that place. all those tools and toys...nice
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
63unibodyboy

Post by 63unibodyboy »

:welcome: from minnesota,your build is looking great,nice truck!
sully5

Post by sully5 »

slickmainer wrote:thats a pretty sweet shop, you could turn anything you wanted out of that place. all those tools and toys...nice

The shop is not mine (wish it was). A friend of mine just retired from the body shop business and this is HIS playroom. I build motors for him and he does body work for me. I'm doing the mechanical portion of this build, and he's making the body slick.

On a side note: Gonna paint it a GM Yellow. The color that came on the Monte Carlo SS cars a few years ago. It's not my color of choice. I let my daughter pick a color as long as it wasn't purple or onle of those nasty metallic candy greens or yellows.

I have tried and tried to get her to change the color preference, but she's not having any of it. Yellow's good, but there are definitely colors I would have picked before choosing yellow. It's my truck for her to drive. When she get's tired of driving a truck, I get it back. (then my wife will take it, I'm sure).
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

you could always nudge her to the lighter yellows from the 60s ford. But bright yellow looks ok, ive seen several bright yellow slicks.
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
sully5

Post by sully5 »

No, I don't care for the lighter yellow. If I HAVE to have yellow, the one she picked is the one I would choose. I'm not opposed to loud colors (love orange) as long as they're good colors, I hate chartruese and bright lavender. Yellow, orange, red, etc. are OK.

I would choose a tasteful green or blue metallic if it was my choice.
sully5

Post by sully5 »

Here's the motor - stock early 302 fresh rebuild, stock cam, performer intake, Holley 600 VS (List #1850). An AOD is going behind it with 2.75 gears in the rearend. The thing should be a dream on the interstate and get good gas mileage.

The rearend is from a 1980 F100. It's 4" wider so the tires will be 1" from the fender lip.

Here's the wheels I will *probably* use. 16x8 Ultra Wheels.

Brian Taylor
United States of America

Post by Brian Taylor »

Yellow is a safe color, as in you can see her from all angles and from flight. LOL. Alans truck is that bright yellow and looks good. It is a RHD is Australia and he has done nice work like you are doing to yours/hers.
Keep the pics coming and find local forum members and invite yourself over for a cold beverage.
1966 Ford F-100 LWB 300
sully5

Post by sully5 »

I'm in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Home of Corvette, Holley, Quick Fuel Technology, Beach Bend Raceway, The Hot Rod Reunion, Cacklefest, and Goodguys annual show. Even the AAA Baseball team is called the Hotrods!

It wouldn't surprise me if there is a forum member or two in the area! Great place to live!
Brian Taylor
United States of America

Post by Brian Taylor »

I use to live in Indianapolis and had a 71 LT1 vette. me and a group use to go to Bowling green once or twice a year.
Nice work.
1966 Ford F-100 LWB 300