390 pulsing problem- RE-HASH

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

I have felt and seen vibrations from alternators that have bad bearing on some customers vehicles in the past, i dont know if that is what your feeling, take the belt off and see if it goes away.
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

yeah. I'll yank the belt tomorrow and see what happens. I'm starting to think it's pretty likely. The engine is just running too strong to have something terribly wrong with it... At least I would assume so.

If that fixes the vibration, I'll be happy as hell, in a pissed off kind of way...
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Do not know if this will help, but I have did away with the Petronix for the reason of on higher than 3000 RPMS Works for short time, all of my FE'S Have put points back in and also have fixed these units for many people at the shows cause they can move by themselves just like points can move that was my biggest problems I even kept a spare unit then sold it at a show for way less since not very happy with those units, I will stick to the points I know one thing I bought a set of Motorcraft points and WOW cost me 16.85 just for points thats very high but I do know when those units where in my Big Slick had to keep adjusting them all the time + would make the temp go up also , I replace points in her in a
years time with no worries, But like everything there is many opinions on this just use whats works for you the best
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

the only thing I got working in my cracked FE block was a good ignition :D
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

Well... She's runnin bad as or worse than ever today. I think it's grown into a full-blown miss. And I'm running out of ideas here...
ImageImageImage
Paul Merrell

Post by Paul Merrell »

I think you have a bent pushrod and maybe a burnt valve.
"Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life - For better...or for worse." 1965 F250 4wheeldrive 390/4speed/dana 60 rear 3.73/dana 44/PB
shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

have you checked compression?
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

no bent pushrod. I determined that is is the pass. side of the eng. by listening to the pipes. (Not interconnected), craked off the right valve cover, looked real close, wiggled on everything, ran it a little, nothing looked out of order.

Have not ran a comp. test. I can't find a tester for loan, and really can't afford to spend any more than I must. I'll probably wind up coughing up more money for one.
May well be a burnt valve... Might explain the carb-firing. who knows. I sure as shit don't. Starting to get a wee bit pissed.
ImageImageImage
shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

I had that with my 390 also it bent several of them, dont know why it was that way when i bought it, can get entire set from part sotre, not to expensive, good thing, I was starting to think a bad valve
eliminator46

Post by eliminator46 »

If no bent Prod, could be an unfortunate flattened lobe on the cam.
This is sounding like one of those snowballs. I know the feeling. :evil:
Former USMC
2nd Bat 3rd Mar
89-93
Dessert Storm Vet
All original 1965 F100 Stepside 352ci 4spd
eliminator46

Post by eliminator46 »

I have also inquired about my low oil pressure. I have no gauge, but running without V-covers, the oil only trickles down the drains on the top end. It does not squirt everywhere. I too have one bent rod. A flattened lobe can be the result of this. Also I'm not sure if you have hydraulic lifters or not, and could be of concern if one is bad. :idea:
Former USMC
2nd Bat 3rd Mar
89-93
Dessert Storm Vet
All original 1965 F100 Stepside 352ci 4spd
shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

mine had two bent pushrods when I tore engine down it had a flat cam for sure, not one lobe, not two, not three but everyone of them, it seems the person I bought it from thought it had a plug over the oil dipstick tubes hole, he seemed to believe that was because the dealer installed the AC which is actually factory installed in 69s and the dumb ass forgot to put dipstick tube in and oil leaked out them as you say it all snowballed from there, amazingly enough it could still light up the rears and pass emissions, I found that block had two cracks one inside and other is above soft plug by starter, so I now have a 428 service block, I sure hope you dont have this happening to yours
Paul Merrell

Post by Paul Merrell »

If you have the right side valve cover off you could take the rocker arm shaft off and check the height of the valve stems. I had burt valves on both heads on the intake. The heads did not have the harden seats for unleaded gas. I could tell as soon as I took the rocker shaft off because all the intake valves stems were taller than the exhaust valves. I just hope that if it is a burnt valve that you did not run it too long because it will crack the head. I know that because both of mine were cracked.
"Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life - For better...or for worse." 1965 F250 4wheeldrive 390/4speed/dana 60 rear 3.73/dana 44/PB
luisenrique

Post by luisenrique »

check timing chain, this happened to us once. we changed distributor, coil, plugs, and it ended up being timing chain....
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

well, I had the right VC off, everything "looked ok", but I know that means Nothing... but I did determine that oil does in fact spooge all over the place.

Today is actually the worst I think it has ran... It "goes", but is almost constantly missing.

When the engine was rebuilt in May of 2005, hardened valve seats were put in, new cloyes roller timing set (steel gears), fresh cam, new hydraulic lifters, etc.

Yesterday I think it was missing on right side only, today I believe it is both sides.

Mufflers pop. Carb pops.

I played with the distributor timing today. It seemed to reduce the symptoms a little, but the next time I drove, it all went to hell again.

I REALLY don't feel that I deserve this crap... I have no money, no spare vehicle, no excess time, no facilities/ diagnostic tools. And the places that I tried to get a job at say they want me, but are taking their sweet time in getting back to me.
ImageImageImage
shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

dude you need to pull dist and check to see the gear is being held with the roll pin its prob tight and spinning out of time, you set timing and run engine then it spins out of time, thats first thing I would look at

this is the good side
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

yeah. it does sound likely...

she can't decide how she wants to run...

Earlier today: I set timing. it ran ~fair~. Not good, but fair. Like 1/2 hour later, Drove it, went to hell immediately.

Parked it for like 3 hours

Came back, started, ran ~fair~, wasn't missing horribly. Drove about 1 1/2 miles, stopped at a red light. While at the redlight, suddenly she started throbbing hard, hiched, felt like was going to quit on me. Then I went, ran real bad. Ran bad for a few seconds. By the time I stopped at the next light, it was kinda ok. Fair now.

Makes no sense to me. It seems like if my distrib. gear was slipping on the shaft, every time I tweak the dist, I would have to go further around til it was all the way around, etc. That's not the case. Timing may be an issue with the way she's running, but I'm 95% sure that my real problem is something bigger than that.
ImageImageImage
shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

you could have several things going on, at first your post was a pulse, now its a full on miss and engine continuously runs like shit and its getting worse, you adjust timing and it improves but returns to worse again. could be anything now from a carb problem to internal engine failures, like earlier post mentioned burnt valves, better take it to a repair shop and have them take a look at it
norville

Post by norville »

Take a minute and recheck you wires for the correct order. Did you check to see if you had a vac leak? I chased one for about a year and it finally came down to the slighest leak in the booster, I only found it cause it got worse. Just something that hasn't been mentioned yet.

bob
joeymac64

Post by joeymac64 »

i would definetly check your firing order on the cap and plugs and if your wires are old change them as well fe ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,s are bad for arcing between the wires if the wires are bad or run over top of each other also i would run a new hot ignition wire to a ballist resister and then to the coil if ignition is getting full 12 volts it will run terrible experienced the same problem with mine turns out the 40 year old resister wire coming from the ignition switch was no goog spliced in a new wire from the switch and added the ballist runs great check and recheck your firing order