Diesel discussion.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64 f100

Diesel discussion.

Post by 64 f100 »

I've watched several different ventures into putting a diesel into one of our trucks. Some were fanstastic and well done, but mostly I find the weight a problem. Since our frames really aren't made for this kind of weight in the half and three quarter tons, I been thinking smaller is better. Candidates run from Perkins to cummins to what I'm thinking might work best, the Mercedes diesel. As most of you know, I am a Ford motor in a Ford truck kind of guy, and don't like the thought of installing foreign engines in anything. I believe the engine is the heart of the vehicle. That being said, perhaps I should mention that I'm going for use, with this idea and cost is a factor. I want to be able to drive my truck accross country and get some fuel mileage and have pulling power if needed. Some of you may know, that Ford intended to come out with a smaller diesel in the half ton pickups but it has not happened. Not sure why but this is the case. Had hoped this would eventually solve my problem but not yet to be. What I hope to accomplish with this thread is to see where everyone stands in regard to opinions on which would be best suited for my diesel idea. So I have compiled a list of possibilities and what i think I want.
Smaller diesel engine with turbo.
Automatic tranny with overdrive if possible.
Disc brakes in front is neccesary for extras weight pulling and stoping.
Engines I have considered Cat, Isuzu, Perkins, 7.3 int., Cummins both 6 and 4, and Mercedes early and later like used in the Ram vans.
Do you know of other options and if Ford used anything other than cat , cummins , International, and perkins in their trucks?
Pro's and cons and anything interesting in the way of ideas.

Rich
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

You are over looking the diesel that Ford used in their mediun duty trucks in the 60's, the Dagenham diesel, it was a light weight diesel. It came in a couple of different sizes one of them being the 363 CI.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

international scouts used nissan diesels, some had turbo.
weight not a factor.

friend of mine has a mercedes 5 cyl diesel i could have but would need to find a way to mate up to a ford trans.

say no to the chebby/olds 6.2 diesels
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
aarons428
Germany

Post by aarons428 »

My vote would be a 4bt cummins there are alot of parts for these as far as swap parts it ca be bolted up to almost any trans and very afordable. there are a few running around my area and are getting very very good mileage like 25 to 29mpgs.
www.4btswaps.com/
the weight of the 4bt is around the weight of a big block.
2010 Ford Edge
99 Ford Expedition
65 Ford f-100 swb
460 stock other than a double roller timing chain and a s475 TURBO pushing 6psi of boost (now 12lbs)
351 W Pulled and on garage floor in storage
428 4v (R.I.P)
c-6 wide ratio modified
torino front stub
home made ladder bar rear with air bags
11.96 sec @ 110mph 1\4mile (best with the 428)
BackyardRest

Post by BackyardRest »

I plan on putting a new 6.7L diesel in my 66 Ranger. Along with a few 2011 F series upgrades like NAV, and SYNC.. Stock looking on the outside but 30mpg on the highway and a truck I can go anywhere with..

Thats if I can get it to AZ fairly cheap.. I may drop the 390GT engine in so It could be driven there.
cooter

Post by cooter »

a 6.7 is not good on fuel, i get about 16mpg instead of 23 on my 5.9 cummins. The 7.3 int would be awesome
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

A few years back I saw a web site where guys were taking diesel motors out of farm tractors and putting them in older trucks and were getting good mileage with them. I think it was yesterdays tractors. Tom
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

That site 4btswaps.com has sections for nearly every type of diesel engine imaginable. From Cummins 4bts to Isuzu 4bds, to VW's to Duetz air-cooled engines (they just look wild!). Check it out - you can get lost there for hours!
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

They have a classified section also but you have to be a member to see it.
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
R Pope

Post by R Pope »

That British 363 cube engine is found on TR70 New Holland combines, I just got one to bring home in the spring. They fit many Ford truck 4 and 5 speeds.
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

:iagree:
turbocharged and 145 HP....
sounds like an engine that would be a good Ford diesel conversion
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Is the Dagenham British? I admire a lot of the British ideas, but working on British motorcycles has led me to believe their engineering good and electrical systems bad. Reading an 60's repair manual for the triumph left me with a hurting head. Loved the 69 Bonneville for riding though. I know nothing about the Dagenham engines. This doesn't mean I wouldn't consider one, but I do require a turbo setup for the extra power on a small engine. What years were the Dagenham engines used, and did some or all of these engines come with turbo?

As to choice of engines , I had considered the 5 cylinder Mercedes but most were not turbo engines if I remmember right, and why not use the Mercedes transmission along with the engine if going that way? There was a Nissan diesel on Craigslist with tranny in Kansas city but didn't say if it was a turbo. Somehow using the Nisan doesn't seem to feel right.

The 4Bt Cummins is a real contender but prices are just unreal for these engines. Mostly, I'm finding the asking price to be around 3K for one used. Doesn't make much sence when looking at the bigger Cummins at less than these prices. As to the 6.7 I would love to have one in one of my trucks, but it doesn't make much sence to spend 20K on an engine and pretend I'm going for economy. I've heard that used Frito Lay trucks with the 4bt engines can be bought for about 3K which would make more sence for a conversion if I could find one with a good drive train. Right now, I'm just kicking tires and shaking trees to see what falls out. The whole problem boils down to cost of getting my parts and trucks home. Nearly everything with a good body is out west and I'm in the rust belt in southern Illinois. I recently bought a new F250 and have had it less than three months and have 5500 miles on it. Need to keep mileage down on the trucks and frankly it only gets about 17mpg average overall. Not unhappy with the mileage but not ecstatic either. I think with a different tuner and elimination of the def junk it would do better but who knows. with it under waruantee, I'm not going to mess with it untill it is out. Hopefull several years from now.

To define what I'm trying for, I will say cost effective is uppermost here in my decision. This means cost of engine and conversion with good fuel mileage. I want something that is everyday drivable and can be done as cheaply as possible , with as few problems as possible. Truthfully an automatic transmission would be nice but these hurt fuel mileage. With this in mind the 6.7 is not for me.

Weight is another factor that needs to be considered. Our trucks have a rivited construction and flex. When it comews to the wieight of a diesel I believe this is an important consideration. Just how much I don't know. I won't be jumping the truck over any obstacles and it won't neccesarily be going off road, but then again I may have to drag something out of the woods. This means a posi rearend but I doubt I will try and go 4X4 since I don't have one in a slick.

Rich
fendermender

Post by fendermender »

There is a picture of a turbo cummins in a 62 chevy in the April issue of Classic Trucks just came Saturday. You might find it on website.

Johnny
fire truck
United States of America

Post by fire truck »

Well if you want a ford diesel, the pickins are slim here in the states. You could get the Mexican built 6.7, but you'll need the trans and all the other crap that goes with it. It would be difficult to fit it in a slick and I would bet the mileage would be more like 18 than 30.

I wouldn't even consider ANY diesel made after 2007 with all the BS they have on them now the milage is crap.

I am a diesel addict and own several of them, but the new engine I want is the ecoboost from a new f150....
So good lookin' that I've attracted an international stalker.

Rest in Peace Bumpstick....I miss ya man.
Paul Merrell

Post by Paul Merrell »

Well stay away from the Isuzu expensive to repair the engine. If I where you I would look for the Frito Lay truck. I have worked on them a little looks like it would be a very easy swap. And they have a automatic and good power. But try to stay away from the emission ones it is a real pain. Just ask any trucker and mechanics in the shops.
"Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life - For better...or for worse." 1965 F250 4wheeldrive 390/4speed/dana 60 rear 3.73/dana 44/PB
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

here is one of the many reasons to stay away from the 6.0's @ 97000 miles

[albumimg]6147[/albumimg]

[albumimg]6146[/albumimg]

[albumimg]6145[/albumimg]

and also stay from these aftermarket air intake systems like K/N or Green it almost cost us a new motor with no warranty,, Oh yes will shove more air down it's throat with all the small dust particles it will not catch causing oil/sludge build up in the intake tubes etc.. that will shut the engine down and destroy it
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
RhodySlick'63

Post by RhodySlick'63 »

I'd say use the 4BT "Bread Truck" cummins...Buy an old Aluminum bread truck. Take the motor and tranny out, scrap the rest.
'63 F100 292 Y-Block
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

the nissan turbo diesel used in the international scouts is just a few HP less than the 223. mpg is in the high 30s.

personally i would be doing this if i had the funds
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/pts/2218833697.html
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
65TremecGT
United States of America

Post by 65TremecGT »

Kind of off topic but still diesel related, I friend of mine just got his TDI Samurai up and running. Its a little offroader with VW TDI engine and toyota axles. He is getting 30mpg on 33" tires plus it will climb hills while offroading with no problem, so far he is very happy with the swap. What started with a $3500 project budget did turn into 10K but came out nicely! Still less than a yamaha rhino and its street legal to boot!
1965 Ford F-100 Short bed Custom Cab, Worn out six for now.
1966 F-250 Ranger waiting for a 79 460/C6 + Disc Brake and PS swap
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Interesting input, was hoping to stay away from the riceburners if possible. Seems they are the most efficient when it comes to fuel mileage though. Will be kicking this around for awhile, as it is in the back of my head to do this, but funds for such an undertaking are low at the moment. To many projects and to little time and money. The 4bt sounds like the most doable by buying a bread truck. Otherwise, it might be easier to do what others have done, and buy a whole truck and switch out the body. The just seems to be a little wrong, to do the body swap.

Rich