NEW TO THE SLICKS WITH SOME ?????'s

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

stellj

NEW TO THE SLICKS WITH SOME ?????'s

Post by stellj »

I recently bought a 64 f-100 sb from a wrecker yard that was supposedly abandoned. The problem is I am not real familiar with these trucks and really had no one to ask until now. Under the hood is either a 302 or 289 and from the research i did on the net i believe from the early 70's and a c4 tranny. The wiring and everything is a real weak spot for me as with alot of other things and am wondering if an original 64 f-100 was ran on a 6 or 12 volt sytem. I have a lot of stuff i want to do to it and will get picks on here soon. Please help me out if you can. Thanks in advance!

jeff
    shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

jeff mine was a 12 v system with with a generator for charging, it now has a all new wiring harness and a real fuse panel the original one was integrated into headlamp switch and didnt have enough ckts to run all my fun stuff
    stellj

Post by stellj »

Thanks alot, I have been reading these posts and trying to find a way to know exactly what engine I have. I am currently in TX doing some training and wont be back to SC until mid May. Once I get back I am going to try hard to figure out what motor it is for sure to order parts, etc. I pulled the starter when I first got the truck but still had no hard evidence that it was either a definite 302 or 289. If I post the numbers from the block will someone be able to help me?? Also anyone know where to get a new turn signal switch for 64 f100 4x2 swb?? Thanks again everyone and I just love this post, I think I am addicted already this being my first day on here.
    66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

Welcome to the club, Someone changed the engine because 302 or 289 weren't stock in those days, it would've been a 292 Y- block or 223 or 262 I-6's, and have fore and aft motor mounts and straight axle front end, in 65' they went to side mounts and twin I beam front suspension and motor choice would've been 352 V8 or a 240 I-6. You might want to post your vin # it would give you some info on your truck.
    Charlie
    62' SWB uni 223
    66' F-100 Short/wide 352
    78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
    12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
    bobenhotep
    United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

there is a wiring diagram on oldcarmanual.com for 64 f100
    For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
    300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
    -duraspark II/ HEI
    -Horn ring contact tube repair
    -turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

DV65CustomCab
    United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Do the turn signals not 'cancel'? If so, you need the turn signal 'cam'. I think they are around $10-15. Hook yourself up with some of the Slick vendors and get some catalogs...they will really be helpful.
    Carolina Classics
    Flashback F100s
    Dennis Carpenter
    LMC Truck
    To name a few.
    All slicks were 12v.
    Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
    '65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
    Now: '93 F150 Lightning
    YukonCor55

Post by YukonCor55 »

WELCOME!!
    The electrical system is definitely a weak point in all older vehicles. Fords in particular due to the integrated light switch and fuse panel. I had an electrical fire in my old '65 F-100 years ago and I swore I'd never get another one. 15 years later and supposedly a little wiser, I got a '62! Don't let the electrical system scare you though, just respect it's limitations. If you really want to modernize the truck with a CD player, and lots of power goodies, you can buy a repalcement harness with a fuse panel as was suggested earlier. If you want to keep it stock you can get an OEM style harness. I opted for the OEM style replacement but added a 12 volt alternator in place of the old generator just to maintain the battery and ease starting (mine's not a daily driver.) I also fused a few circuits individually.
    Charleston eh? I spent a few years down there as a Maintenance Pro Super and then as a Flight Engineer at the Air Force Base. Nice place to spend the winter but too steamy for me in the summer!
    Good luck with your "new" slick!
    AJ
    SMSgt USAF Retired
    1962 Ford F-250 4 X 4, 1955 Ford Fairlane, 1955 Ford Ranch Wagon, 2002 Indian Chief & a couple of old Fender guitars...Life's Good!
    "The credit belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...his place shall never be with those cold, timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)
    Johnny Canuck
    Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Dont sweat over whether it a 289 or 302 too bad, they are both awesome engines. A 302 has a slightly longer stroke, other than that many of the components are identical, including the block , intake and heads. Just run it and enjoy! Oh, and welcome to the club! :D
    It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
    shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

jeff I bought an entirely new turn sig switch from local part store Car quest, it also the same switch from most other fords in 1964, it was about 60 bucks if I remember right but I have my original column with new bearings and tuurn signal switch looking brand new :D
    stellj

Post by stellj »

THANKS ALL! I really appreciate all the responses and when I get back to Charleston I will get the vin and engine codes and look for some more info and ask more questions I am sure of it. I will also get those pics on here. Thanks again,

Jeff