Delay wipers

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

So what is the short little plug/harness for in the third pic? In the next to last pic it looks like its plugged into the module harness, correct?
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

pretty sure its the windshield washer pump.
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Here read this. It is a Tech artical I wrote about six or eight years ago. It was picked up by a couple of Ford magazines. Here is a link to my web site with pictures and text.

If you drive your car very much as I do, two speed intermittent wipers are a must. When I bought my 64 Sprint, it had single speed electric wipers. It was not long before I started looking around seeing what it would take to install the two speed intermittent wiper system. I do not recall ever seeing a 64 model with the intermittent system. I did see a 64 or 65 Comet once that had it, so I thought this would be the way to go. As I studied the manual and wiring diagrams I soon realized that the system of that era was a little crude compared to a more modern system. The Comet system incorporated a coordinator switch as a governor, and used engine vacuum. I knew I did not want to use this and besides the coordinator switch would probably be harder to find than hen's teeth.

I had successfully engineered and installed an intermittent system on my 1956 F-100 truck several years back using a wiper motor from a 1979 Ford pick up. I had an extra wiper motor from a 73-79 Ford pick up in my shop, so using it for a comparison I removed the Falcon wiper motor and compared the two. To my surprise the two motors had the same spacing on the transmission mounting bosses. The mounting bosses on the truck was slightly larger but still close in size. With this discovery I went to my local Pick and Pull junk yard and found a donor truck for the intermittent wiper switch and governor. Any Ford truck from 73 to about 84 or 85 should be a suitable donor truck for the switch and governor. As for the motor I think there was a change in 1980 and the later wiper motors may not work. I would stick with a 1973 to 79 model for that. By the way, all wiper motors either intermittent or non intermittent are the same in these year trucks, it is the switch and governor that make the difference. When you remove the wiper motor from the donor truck be sure and keep the longer bolts that attach the wiper motor to the mounting plate.

To affect the installation you have to remove your old wiper switch. When you remove your old switch be sure and save the bell looking spacer that is on the back side of the Falcon switch, you will need it. You will find two wire plugs on the Falcon switch, one is a single wire and is orange in color, this is your hot wire. It is hot when the ignition switch is turned on. Make a mental note of this wire because you will need it later. The other plug that attaches to the switch contains four wires and all four go into the 14401 or main wiring harness and come out at the pigtail for the wiper motor. You will not use either of these plugs again so tape them back out of the way someplace. With the Falcon switch removed, take the truck wiper switch and compare it to the Falcon switch by holding them side by side. I added two flat washers and then installed the bell spacer to the truck switch and installed it just as the Falcon switch was installed. You will need a bezel wrench to remove and reinstall the wiper switch.

Once you have the wiper switch in place, remove the Falcon wiper motor. After you have the falcon motor removed you will next remove the bell crank. You will use this bell crank on the truck motor. Make a mental note of the position of the truck bell crank before you remove it. When you install the Falcon bell crank you will have to index it 180 degrees from that of the truck bell crank. This is important and you must do this if you want your wipers to park correctly. With the Falcon wiper motor removed from the falcon motor mounting plate, and the bell crank installed on the truck motor you will install the truck motor on the Falcon mounting plate. As I mentioned earlier the bosses on the truck motor are slightly larger than the Falcon motor mounting bosses. Set the motor in place on the rubber grommets and start the longer truck bolts on the back side of the mounting plate. Slowly and evenly tighten the bolts until the wiper motor seats into the plate. If the motor starts to tear the gromets, libricate them and it should slip right in. Snug them up and reinstall the wiper motor and mounting plate just as it was originaly installed.

You will notice that the truck wiper motor has it own wiring harness. Thread the wiper motor wiring harness back over the top of the brake and clutch pedal support to near the switch. You will now install the wiper governor. I installed mine on the side of the pedal support, it will have to be installed near the switch, be sure and attach any ground wires too. The governor has two pigtails coming from it. Plug the wiring harness from the wiper motor into the black governor pigtail and the red pigtail plugs into the wiper switch. In the wiper motor wiring harness you will see an orange wire coming out of the harness and terminates into a single plug, clip the plug off and install a male spade connector to this orange wire and plug it into the orange hot wire that you removed from the original Falcon wiper switch. This is a clean and effective way to install intermittent wipers on your car. You don't have to cut any wires on your Falcon or do any metal hacking, it can be converted back to original should you ever sell your car to a purest. If you have any questions on this installation, or any of my other modifications please feel free to e-mail me.

This is for reference only. People's mechanical ability varies and I can not be responsible for someone elses inability to affect the change over properly. You do so at your own risk.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
gumshoe

Post by gumshoe »

I just installed a delay in my 66 useing a delay out of a 91 and wiper moter from a 79 truck. these delays can also be found in broncos, and ford cars in the 70-80 era.
Bill: shasta lake ca. 1966 F100
69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

So gumshoe, did your delay harness look like the one I've got pictured? I'm still having trouble figuring out how you adapt the harness as the connectors are way different between the old harness and the delay harness. Please explain.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

JT, I think you are suppose to splice the wires together at that point!, I went to my local fun park yesterday and out of the 3 dents, 1 80`s F150 and 2 Squares, all the wiper motors were gone!, same with the switches!. The harness were still there but no Modules.
Uncle, I did manage to pull a wiper switch out of a mid 70`s Galaxie, that has 4 switch positions and a wiper motor out of a 96 Falcon panel van, that has 2 speed wipers and 2 speed intermittent wipe. I`m going to see if I can make this combo work!, so expect questions!!!!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

69supercj are using the late 70s wiper motor?
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

No the wiper motor I pulled was a two speed from a '66. Do I need the later model 2 speed?
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

You need a 73 to 79 wiper motor. This motor plugs directly into the delay box. You will need the arm off the old motor.
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
gumshoe

Post by gumshoe »

thats correct, the 66 motor is a 3 wire and the 67- late 70'S is a 4 wire. completly different motor except they fit on your 66 mount bracket. the late 90'S delay switch does not use the seperate 2 wire plug for the washers. you don't need the washer part of this if you use the stock washer button. Bill
Bill: shasta lake ca. 1966 F100
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Read the above that I posted. It is a step by step instruction on how to do it. It was written for a Falcon but that same details apply for the Slicks. Follow the instructions and you can't go wrong. If I can do it, then anybody can do it. When I wrote the article I had never heard of anyone doing this. I had a 79 F100 that I had parted out and I had the wiper motor and all related parts in my shop. When I bought my Falcon I was wanting to install the intermittent wipers. I pulled the wiper motor and started experimenting with the parts that I had and found that it was a very viable option. When I got my N series it had air wipers on it and I wanted to get rid of them and install electric wipers. When I started taking it the wipers apart I discovered that they were the same as the Falcons. So it was a no brainier to adapt what I had done on the Falcon to the N series. I also did the same to my 65 Ranger.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Chelle , We need diagrams! :(
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Here is the wiring diagram for the intermittent wipers. If you have trouble reading it, save it to a file and enarge it. It is a high resolution so you should not have any trouble doing so.

Last edited by Michelle on March 23, 2011, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michelle

Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

:notworthy: Thanks Michelle!, your a beaut Sheila! :wink:

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Thanks Alan, this Sheila was glad to do it for you. BTW, I love the little smiley guy praising me. I was looking over the diagram and I found I had made a mistake. I revised the drawing showing the extra wires coming out of the harness on the delay box and not the motor.
Michelle

Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

I should buy a lottery ticket!, the wiper switch ( switches 2 just in case) I grabbed at the wreckers, turns out to be a ZH 1976 Fairlane switch and has the delay function built into the switch 8), having trouble finding a good wiring diagram, but I`m tinkering ever chance I get!, skip bin to fill this weekend! :( , anyhow at the moment I have 3 levels of delayed speeds, an off and one fairly high speed. it`s fun trying to work it out tho!, I think! :?

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
William-in-St George

Re: Delay wipers

Post by William-in-St George »

I know this is getting long, But...quick way to see if the truck you are eyeing in the junkyard has the delay system on board is to grab the W/W switch and turn it left. If it turns then it is likley connected to the delay and motor you need. Cardone PN# 10-289 will get you a re-man motor that fits.
William-in-St. George