Delay wipers

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Uncle Skip
United States of America

Delay wipers

Post by Uncle Skip »

FYI
Just had an issue with a Houston member about the delay wipers. He found an original 2-speed motor and swapped it in without issue, and bought a brand new switch from Motorcraft, but when he went to the parts depots and stores to buy a delay module, apparently that part IS NOT available anymore. Even from Ford.
We finally found one for him at my honey hole, but it took quite a while.
(And I scored another one yesterday out of a '77 F-150).
I'd say, if you're prowling the junk yards and find one, get it now. Just in case. And I'd say, get of it, including the motor, module and switch.
If you already have the upgraded switch and motor, the module is the part that plugs into the harness between the motor and switch, mounts to the bottom of the dash with one sheet metal screw, and can be added directly to your harness by just plugging it in.
There is supposed to be a "how to" for this project in the hints and tricks section so I won't go any farther here.
BTW, as far as I can tell, the later modules don't work with the older switches.
Good luck.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
61 Merc
Canada

Post by 61 Merc »

I know you can use the delay module from most ford trucks up to 95. I am using an 88 in Jinx and works well.

Dean
61 Mercury SWB Uni - Project
62 Mercury SWB BBW - Race truck
63 Ford SWB Uni - Daily driver (Jinx)
63 Ford SWB Uni - Parts truck
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Dean.
Does it have the same plug on the back of the switch in the later models?
I thought they changed the plug when they went away from the post type switch.
Information like that is good to know.
How about the wiper motor itself?
Thanks.
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

And, DO NOT CUT any wires! Well, there is at least 1 and possibly 2 wires you need to cut, and only those.
One is the power supply wire to the switch - it comes off the backside of the key switch.
The other is the wire to the squirts motor - and you can often tease it out of the firewall plug.
69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

Is there an easy way to spot a delayed wiper unit by looking at the switch or operating the switch without power?
Brian Taylor
United States of America

Post by Brian Taylor »

Delay wipers have 3 positions Delay low and high. Standard switches have just 2 positions. We found several at Barclays but only pulled a couple for the guys with us that day.
1966 Ford F-100 LWB 300
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Uncle, what year did the delay wipers start? and do they all inter change with the slick motor?.
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Mac.
I used to think they stopped at 1978, but the guys here say the delay units continued well into the 80's.
I can't speak to that from personal experience but I believe them.
What I do know is that the 2-speed wiper motors thru '78 will bolt up to a Slick with no problems EXCEPT.........
You have to take the little arm off the shaft of your old motor and put it on the new 2-speed unit, in the same orientation as the old one that came off or the wipers won't operate properly.
My only other comment is to make sure the new wiper motor is grounded.
And, if you cut about 1/4" off the end of the switch post, your Slick knob will slide on and look bone stock.
This post started because I quit looking at the delay module itself when ever I found a wiper switch that didn't have the old style knob and post switch. Never thought the delay module itself would be in those later trucks, but I guess they are.
What I do know is that you can't buy them (the module) anywhere as aftermarket or replacement parts.
I'm collecting all I can find with the switch. The motors are available as replacement parts.
U@ss
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

Brian Taylor wrote:Delay wipers have 3 positions Delay low and high. Standard switches have just 2 positions. We found several at Barclays but only pulled a couple for the guys with us that day.

barclays had 1 less when i left.
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
61 Merc
Canada

Post by 61 Merc »

Yes Skip, the plugs are interchangable with the different years of the switch. With the newer delays it just plugs in.

Dean
69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

Great info guys, 'preciate it!! :D I'm assuming that trucks with the wiper switch in the dash are the only ones that will work for what we're doing?
61 Merc
Canada

Post by 61 Merc »

69supercj wrote:Great info guys, 'preciate it!! :D I'm assuming that trucks with the wiper switch in the dash are the only ones that will work for what we're doing?

If you are thinking about one on the column, you could make it work but it would not be a plug'n go situation.

Dean
69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

Went to the junkyard today and picked up a couple of delay wiper switches and modules with the plug in harness. One was from an '80 model and the other from an 89. They both look identical but they dont look like they'll plug into my '66 harness. The switch itself looks similar but it has a squared off portion on the bottom. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
jmf66

Post by jmf66 »

I got the 2-speed motor from a 70's truck and the delay module from an early 80's truck. I wired it together on the work-bench and made sure everything works. The diagram below is for a Mustang, but the 70's wiper motor from the truck was wired the same.

When I actually install it into my truck, I'll just have to hook up +12v, ground, and washer-pump

69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

Do I need to get the plug that the delay harness plugged into off the truck in the salvage yard and wire it into my harness?
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

The delay module has two plugs on each end. They plug in between the motor and switch. The male end of the delay module plugs into the female plug on the back of the wiper switch and is identical to the plug that comes from the wiper motor. The male plug on the wiper motor plugs into the female plug on the delay module and is identical to the female plug on the wiper switch.
Don't cut any wires except maybe the little 3 pronged plug that is on the female end of the delay module where the wiper motor plugs in. That is the wiper washer switch and you can cut it close to the firewall and splice it to the washer motor. Except for the power wire coming to the wiper switch from the fuse block, don't cut anything else.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

jmf66 wrote:I got the 2-speed motor from a 70's truck and the delay module from an early 80's truck. I wired it together on the work-bench and made sure everything works. The diagram below is for a Mustang, but the 70's wiper motor from the truck was wired the same.

When I actually install it into my truck, I'll just have to hook up +12v, ground, and washer-pump

Thanks for that jm!, there`s only one thing we like more than pic`s here! and that's diagrams!, let the hunt begin! 8)
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

Okay, here's a pic of what I just picked up at the salvage yard. This first pic is the switches, newer one on the left and the 66 on the right.
Here's the harness ends.
Here's the module.
Now I aint the brightes knife in the drawer but this dont look like a plug and play dealeo to me. :lol:
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

Heres a late 70s setup. Orange wire is power lead. Uses the late 70s wiper motor. Hope this helps.

1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Way too much good information for this not to be in here.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.