The T-5 is in!!!

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64low-n-slow

The T-5 is in!!!

Post by 64low-n-slow »

Finally. I came home from a regional meeting this afternoon and the bellhousing and throwout bearing had arrived from John Mummert. Took about 3 1/2 hours by myself to install bellhousing, tranny, driveshaft, starter, etc. WOW, what a difference!!!! Truck is running about 2400rpm keeping up with traffic on the interstate. Speedo is not hooked up yet cause I had to order a cable from NAPA. Second gear kicks A$$!!!!!!

Next is the HEI setup from Dave's small body HEI's in NV. Expecting the dist to arrive in 10 days, or so.

Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

COOL!
You did the S 10 tailshaft conversion too then?
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Yahoo
Glad you got it in, did you do a build thread on it?
John
Turk build thread at:
http://slick60s.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Re: The T-5 is in!!!

Post by MadMaxetc »

64low-n-slow wrote:...Second gear kicks A$$!!!!!!
I second that!!
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

The T5 makes them fun to drive.
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

unibody madness wrote:Yahoo
Glad you got it in, did you do a build thread on it?
John
I agree!, tell me more tell me more!, and pic`s! 8)
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Cool beans Brian. Must have gone smoother than expected as you finished a little early. Looking forward to mine.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
64low-n-slow

Post by 64low-n-slow »

Unfortunately, I did not do a build thread or take pics. I can go back and do so but pics will be after assembly. Here are some details for those who are considering the swap:

Trans is a World Class from a '91 Mustang. I confirmed the application from a thread (I believe) 62 Galaxie has on here with all the T-5 numbers. Somebody chime in where to find the thread if you don't mind. Also, I did use the S-10 tailshaft housing and it locates the shifter perfectly. That came from Southern Gear in Smyrna GA, along with the shifter cap from an S-10. Unfortunately they sold me the housing and shifter cap from a T-4. After much inspection I discovered the only difference from the T-4 to the T-5 is the shifter rail inside the housing. It is a steel part pressed into the alum housing, so I drove the incorrect one out with a drift pin, and replaced it with the 5 speed. Also, I read on another forum that when using the S-10 tail, it is necessary to replace the Mustang oiler funnel with one from an S-10 (small plastic part on back of the trans). It is discontinued from GM but I was able to locate one from a dealer in Arkansas. Both appear identical, but replaced it anyway.

John Mummert did the necessary mods on a bellhousing loaned to me by gritsngumbo (thanks, Gerald) because I didn't want to have the truck off the road for 2 months. The throwout bearing also came from Mummert's and it looks like a stock bearing with a sleeve pressed-in to fit the T-5 bearing retainer. $225 for bell mods, $85 for throwout bearing.

Shifter is a discontinued close-ratio Hurst that I bought from an E-bay dealer. $145 w/shipping. Feels REALLY good.

I ordered a clutch kit for a '68 Fairlane with 390ci from NAPA. 11" disc, long finger pressure plate. It has the correct input shaft diameter and spline count. Street price is probably around $125. ( I am a vendor to NAPA and they give us employee prices)

Gary's Driveline in Daytona cut the driveshaft 8 1/2".

Finally, I ordered a trans crossmember from Speedway. Although I'm told most do not use them, I am going to install it. Can't hurt, right? $58 w/shipping.

Pro's and Con's.

Con - When you go scrounging around for parts and pieces for a T-5, most trans guys look at you like you've lost your mind. You'll need to know specifically what you're looking for.

Con - Same point, there is a lot of parts locating required.

Pro - There is a WEALTH of info both here and on other forums about this swap. Read everything you can find to decide specifically what it is you want. There are many gear ratio's available.

Pro - You will shave off 800-1000 rpm at 70 mph.

Pro - My little 292 barks those big back tires in 2nd! Impressive...

Thanks again to Gerald Ingram, Charlie McCraney, and everybody else who has been so helpful in sharing information, loaner parts, etc.

I don't consider myself an expert by any means, especially where it comes to things mechanical, but this swap was really pretty easy. If anyone has questions, I'll be glad to provide any info.

Thanks for reading. ....and the comments.
64low-n-slow

Post by 64low-n-slow »

One other mod.....When using the S-10 tail, it is necessary to move the speedo drive gear. I took the trans to a local machine shop and they made me a 2-piece shim for the tailshaft. It looks like a main bearing. When I trial-fitted it on the shaft with the drive gear, everything fit very snug. I was going to tack weld it to the shaft but since it fit so well I just put a small dab of JB Weld on each half of the shim and slid the gear over it.
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

FWIW: Anyone who wants to have John Mummert modify their bell without having to take your truck off the road, i can do the same for you that I did for Brian. (FYI: experience has shown it's going to take approximately 2 months for John to make the mods) Brian sent me the $45 Fedex fee (actual cost) to ship my bell directly to John in California, then he worked directly with John on the mods and then John shipped the modified bell back to Brian in Florida. Now Brian will send me his old bell, which I can again loan out if anyone needs it.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
64low-n-slow

Post by 64low-n-slow »

To Gerald's point, that was a HUGE convenience.

BTW, the bell is packed up and will ship when I get home from my road trip this week.

Thanks, Gerald!!!!!
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

the fun part was trying to make the hole for the speedometer gear clip in the tailshaft. I ended up using a dremel tool. Damn is that shaft hard.
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
salf100

Post by salf100 »

64 low, what gear ratio do you have in your truck? Ive been debating on this swap or keeping the 3 spd and just swaping gears for better highway crusin.
64low-n-slow

Post by 64low-n-slow »

Sal - The ratio is 3:89, and I'm running 30" tall rear tires. According to the calculator I found online, my effective ratio is 3:50.

IMO, you would end up with a REAL TALL 1st gear to get the rpms that low in 3rd.

If you have an opportunity to drive, or ride in somebody else's truck with this swap, check it out.

Hope this helps.

62galxe - mine had a little spring clip that fit between the gear and shaft. I eliminated it by boring the teeth off the inside of the gear. It fits REALLY tight over the shim I had made. Had to knock it on with a mallet. Boring that tail shaft would SUCK!
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

By the way 2400 RPM should be between 70 to 75. Im runnin 235/75/15 tires on mine which calculates to 29 inches. Our setups are pretty close to the same.
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
64low-n-slow

Post by 64low-n-slow »

62 - You're absolutely right. I took it back out on the interstate this afternoon with the portable GPS. 75mph @ 2400!

Going to drive it to Pigeon Forge in May. 635 miles. Mapquest says 10 hours. Couldn't imagine it with the old 3-speed.
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

It will do fine. I ran mine 990 miles at 75 from altoona ia to houston tx in 16 hours. The 292 is a good little motor on trips with a t5 behind it.
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

Did you check your mileage during that trip, Kenny?
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

Yeah I checked it a couple times. 13 to 16. I screwed up and put a 3:25 gear in it for the trip. A lot of the hills were in 4th gear. 3:89 is back in it to stay.
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
Gatkpartz6179

bellhousing 292 223

Post by Gatkpartz6179 »

I have a couple bellhousings as well.I would be happy to loan them out for the swap,just pay shipping.am wondering if I should just get em to Mr Mummert direct.Was thinkin the same with the half dozen or so stock straight axles I got.....???.
Yep, this is Pete!