Granny Tranny / shifter question............

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Greg D
United States of America

Granny Tranny / shifter question............

Post by Greg D »

I am going to install my 223 and 4 speed granny tranny in the Uni. I know this is a bolt in and I seem to remember that the shifter unbolts from the tranny much like a T-5 or other newer style trannys. Is there anything I need to look out for when doing this like should it be in a specific gear to remove an reinstall? Also this particular tranny tends to drop out 3rd gear when you back off of the gas, is there something that can fix this? Other than that gear jumping issue it is smooth and quiet. Thanks.....
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
DocDave

Post by DocDave »

On mine, there is a large rounded cap at the bottom of the stick. It turns off but dont loose the spring and retainer that come out with it. Pick a gear when you pull it out or nuetral. and feel around for it when you put it back in. If its wrong it wont shift (pretty easy.)
It's spring loaded so dont panic when it pops up after turning the cap

Pops out of 3rd eh?
That used to signify a bad tooth on one of the gears (at least thats what my father said about an old flathead that jumped 2nd, and a dodge that did the same to me) Replacement at some point may be required. And where did that tooth chip go to? I had a chev van that would jam the tranny every once in a while when it picked up that loose tooth.
Hope it helps
Dave
From a guy without his Ford that he left on a rock in the North Atlantic.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I have had the truck that the engine/tranny is in for about 2 years now. I have driven it all over the place. It will only fall out of gear when you let off the gas and the drag reverses. If you put light pressure on the shifter it will stay in gear though. other than this issue like I said before it drives and shifts great. Not really that big of a pain I just thought while I ahd it out if it was something to do with the shifter I might as well see if i could fix before I reinstall it in the Uni. The Uni will eventually get a T-5 conversion anyway behind the 223. Lol, gonna find out if a 223 will drag a Slick around in overdrive.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.